FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Foods that Cause and Prevent Cancer

Nerdlings
I just read a good article on what types of food help prevent cancer from occuring. http://www.usmansworld.com/?p=11 What do you guys think about the article?
benjmd
We all know those emails that say "These 50,000 things that you do/eat everyday cause cancer and you should avoid them." I recommend being critical about it. One place you can go is www.pubmed.com to look up the REAL research studies behind these findings. A lot of times the popular recommendations are extreme extrapolations from borderline data! I recommend only using sources where you can find real data explaining just what the risk is. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) website ( www.cancer.gov ) is a good resource.

One big link the website you linked to mentions is acrylamid in potato chips and french fries. Well, according to the NCI and the searches I performed, there is no data linking human dietary acrylamide consumption with cancer. The few studies done on the matter were unable to show a significant link. So where did the concern come from? In France, researchers found that acrylamide added to drinking water for laboratory rats increased their risk of developing tumors, so an extrapolation was made that this could be a human carcinogen as well. However, as anyone who has tried a little scientific research can tell you, just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean mother nature will follow suit!

On the other hand, it is true that meats grilled or pan fried at very high temperatures can form compounds called heterocyclic amines that are carcinogenic (cancer-causing). The trick is to avoid eating burned parts (the blackened parts) of what you cook but to also remember that you do have to cook meats long enough and hot enough to kill bacteria. Cancer may take years to develop while bad food poisoning could kill you in days.
missdixy
benjmd wrote:
We all know those emails that say "These 50,000 things that you do/eat everyday cause cancer and you should avoid them." I recommend being critical about it. One place you can go is www.pubmed.com to look up the REAL research studies behind these findings.

Thank you for that link....I've found it extremely resourceful!!!
Nerdlings
hmm I'll look into that research in the link