FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Look and Feel of my Web site

Possum
Hi

I have made a similar post to this some time ago. But I have changed the look and feel of my site. Do you think I'm ready to make an extensive help for FriHost now..

http://udopage.com/udopage_236.php

cheers Possum..

Many thanks to mathiaus for his original post on how to set up phpBB on FriHost..

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-48865.html

P.S
I know I have to add some text to these pages..

Cheers Possum...
Donutey
If you're looking for a review of your new design, it might be better to post it in the Design forum. I like the logo, but I'm not so sure of it the rotating banner. It causes the banner to have to load on every page, when only a small part of it has chagned. It would be better to break up the banner into two images ie. left float the main banner (your site name), and then right float the images that you are rotating.

Good luck with your site.
benjad
The design is of your site is ok, nothing earth shaking, but ok. I'm not a fan of "magic box" webpage software. Is this why there are no hyperlinks inside the content text, but all over the left nav box?

But, in your current web site, there are alot of clues that tell me this might not be a reputable web site get information from...

"what is the internet" -- scary description

"windows" -- you define operating system by calling it an operating system.

"Hard Wear -- Hard Wear is what you can touch. The computer screen and the CPU are all Hard Wear. The more you understand how the parts of your computer work together the more independent you will be."

"Quasar -- Open Source Hardware"

There is alot of hidden content here, as clicking on top links opens different left nav links. Then left nav links constantly change, so the navigation is really screwey.

My visit left me with a few question. 1. what is the purpose of this site? 2. What is udopage? Are you developing it, are you a fan of it?? 3. Why is this person trying to describe things they don't seem to understand. 4. What is all this information, and how does it relate to the purpose of the site.

I think you have been hit by information entropy. I think before you move on, you need to step back, and really look at purpose and navigation of your site.
the6thfactor
Site looks good, I like the nice simple design, works well for the type of site that it is. Perhaps some better color choices that work together better? Overall nice work
Possum
Yes.. I need to go a long way still

Your comments were very welcome..

Answers to benjad questions

1. what is the purpose of this site?
2. What is udopage
I have engineered an application I call udopage. My website udopage.com is created with udopage. I am testing my application by making the site udopage.com. I still have a long way to go. Both with the development of the my application and the site.

3. Why is this person trying to describe things they don't seem to understand.
I do understand enough to create pascal program, php scripts. But I find it differcult to write what I know. I really need to improve here. That's why your feed back is so welcome. Even criticism is welcome.

4. What is all this information, and how does it relate to the purpose of the site.
I want to sell an application that will help anyone make a website that can be an asset to a business. I know I am all over the place. I guess I can only improve.. I would like my web site to be a place fro users of my application to come for answers to web and hardware problems..

Cheers Possum..
benjad
ok, now I understand a lot more... let me offer this advice.

uDoPage is your main subject. So make uDoPage.com focus on this application alone. Remove anything that distracts the visitor from this. (or at least, bury it so that is not at teh same navigation level as udopage). For example, the download uDoPage page is only available from one spot in your entire site, where some of the other top links are always available and lead you off track.

There still is room in the world for your product, as some ppl still use -- gasp -- microsoft word to design web pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, as you do this , make the left nav box look consistent inside each section. Because it changes on every page, it is hard to see where you have been, and what else is there.

So, crop lots of stuff away, and make this site the showcase for your product. Info on delphi is nice to have, but bury it away from your main product.

And don't worry, you can never edit your own work... it's simply impossible. It's not until you lay it out and see how ppl use it that you discover what it really needs
rafifaisal
benjad wrote:

"Hard Wear -- Hard Wear is what you can touch. The computer screen and the CPU are all Hard Wear. The more you understand how the parts of your computer work together the more independent you will be."

Shouldn't this one be Hardware instead of Hard Wear. Or is it Underwear that is hard to wear Laughing
Possum
Hi Everyone

Just letting you know Ive updated my website..

Special thx to benjad for advice.. It took me a long time to see your wisdom.. but you are right

Cheers Possum....
benjad
Getting better, You are headed in the right direction ... a few more things to examine.

The graphic in the upper left hand corner OR the first horizontal nav bar icon should be home. Once navigate away from.. the user can't get back to home.

I now see how your site navigation works... with different levels in the navigation. The challenge right now is getting back down from a previous level. a few ideas....

1. Use breadcrumb navigation at the top of each page
"home > tutorials > internet"

This helps the viewer understand where they are in the site.

2. Change the size of text / indentation depending on level. Make second and third level links in the nav bar indented or smaller.

3. Maybe don't let the top level links vanish once at a second level. I see how the line break sets off the next level links, but it takes some figuring out to understand that.