FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mantis Shrimp

natem
I love these guys, they are so interesting! Mantis shrimp are stomatopods. They are marine crustaceans belonging to the order Stomatopoda, one part of the class Malacostraca, the largest class of crustaceans. They are neither shrimps nor mantids, but receive their name purely from the physical resemblance to both the terrestrial praying mantis and the shrimp. They have been known to grow as long as 38 cm, although this is exceptionally large, and the longest stomatopod one can usually expect to find is about 30 cm [1], and their carapace covers only the rear part of the head and the first three segments of the thorax. Mantis shrimp appear in a variety of colours, from rather dull browns to stunning neon.

Called "sea locusts" by ancient Assyrians, and now sometimes referred to as "thumb splitters" by modern divers — because of the relative ease the creature has in mutilating small appendages — mantis shrimp sport powerful claws, formed like jackknives, that they use to attack and kill prey by spearing, stunning or dismemberment. Some pet mantis shrimp have managed to break through their double-paned aquarium glass with a single strike from this weapon. They actually have springs in there claws I really want one of these guys, but I will have to get an acrylic aquarium first!

Drawingguy
Great to keep as a specimen in a tank where it won't be the constant aggressor. I mean, come on...with colours and actions like that, who wouldn't be impressed. But as you said, they are notorious for breaking their glass. As silly as it sounds, though, it's awesome watching them eat.
Daisie
They look really cool!
miacps
I've heard about them being able to break aquarium glass.

Its pretty amazing that little things like that can pack such a punch. Love the colors on them, but I'll stick to Tadpole Shrimp(Triops)! Wink
Rico
38 cm wow! that's enormous for a shrimp. good luck, watch your thumbs.
staylor229
freaky!!!!
gtherockgod
They look really cool but I don't think i could ever have one, it would creep the hell out of me haha
raine dragon
Oh! They are so interesting looking! Quite colorful too. I don't think I will ever keep aquatic pets, but I certainly think these little guys are interesting. What do they eat?
driftingfe3s
miacps wrote:
I've heard about them being able to break aquarium glass.

Its pretty amazing that little things like that can pack such a punch. Love the colors on them, but I'll stick to Tadpole Shrimp(Triops)! Wink

Yeah they have been know for that. Usually you need special super think aquarium glass for them.

Anyways I just leanred bout stomatopods a couple of weeks ago in my Invertebrate zoology class. My professor showed us a couple of videos of thier lightning quick strike. They are quite amazing creatures.
turbosquid
What a cool creature! They look awesome, what size are they in real life?
natem
Some can grow larger than 30cm which is around 12 inches(I think). The easiest way to keep them without having to worry about your aquarium glass is to buy an acrylic tank to keep them in. The peacock mantis, which is in the pictures, grows to be around 15cm (6 or 7 inches). They are such interesting animals.
RCD-Central
tw
lethaltriad
interesting stuff, I would love to take some macro shots of those critters once they dont try to break my glass/lens on my camera lol