FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting an 802.11n router.

william
Well, I'm planning on upgrading my current 802.11g router to an 802.11n. I want a high quality, high performance one. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one?
PseudoKnight
Upgrading your router will not automatically give you speed boost. You also need to upgrade your wireless network card(s). Also, make sure you'd actually use the extra network bandwidth. It would only be helpful if you transfer files between wirelessly networked computers a lot, or if you were streaming high quality videos from one computer to a media box in your living room.

Lastly, the wireless n standard hasn't been finalized. This means you may have issues with future cards not working flawlessly with your router or vice versa. You may want to wait because of that.

The only recommendation I can make is to list them on newegg.com by best rating. For reliability issues that's the best way to go. I doubt you'd notice any performance differences between the different n routers.
william
Quote:
Upgrading your router will not automatically give you speed boost. You also need to upgrade your wireless network card(s). Also, make sure you'd actually use the extra network bandwidth. It would only be helpful if you transfer files between wirelessly networked computers a lot, or if you were streaming high quality videos from one computer to a media box in your living room.

Yeah, I am aware. I'll be upgrading most of network cards once I purchase the router; the other ones I'll gradually upgrade. And also, within a few months, I will have my new home theater set up; I will be streaming a LOT of video. As for file transfers; the 802.11g is fine; but some of the 10 GB files I transfer take awhile.

Quote:
Lastly, the wireless n standard hasn't been finalized. This means you may have issues with future cards not working flawlessly with your router or vice versa. You may want to wait because of that.

Yeah; that's the one thing that's been deterring me from purchasing one earlier. As far as I know; the standard is nearly finalized...correct me if I'm mistaken; but by June it should be finalized. I think it probably will be worth the wait; as I have been skeptical about this for some time.

Quote:
The only recommendation I can make is to list them on newegg.com by best rating. For reliability issues that's the best way to go. I doubt you'd notice any performance differences between the different n routers.

Well, OK; I suppose that's a good idea. I've been looking through a bunch of review sites; and the sites have stated that some routers aren't very reliable at all...and some don't even run as well as 802.11g.

Anyhow...I'll be thinking about it. In the end, I'll most likely wait for the finalization. Even then, anyone else have any ideas?
psycosquirrel
I would definitely wait until at least July. Otherwise, you probably will get a half-working router that is nowhere near up to par with the other wireless-n routers.