FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

investment books to read

teko
am looking to do some reading into investment and on personal finance. Can anyone recommend good books on these areas to read?
dwinton
May I offer a bit of advice? Well there really isn't any way for you to stop me so I will anyway. Don't expect to find a book with the answer to investing. A lot of people go out looking for some book believing some guy has figured out the secret to money or something. This is not true.

Jim Cramers books are easy to understand but they are written for a low intelligence readership.
teko
I agree with you totally, am not really looking for get rich quick type of books.

Actually I did a bit of my own searching through the net and on the reviews on amazon and heres a few that I like the look of:

A random walk down wall street Burton Malkiel

The Intelligent Investor Benjamin Graham

One Up on Wall Street peter lynch

The warren buffett way by Robert Hagstrom

Actually had a look at the books Jim Cramer and didnt really like the look of them. I think the best way is to do alot of work yourself into reading company reports and then make up your own mind as to what to invest your money in.
fx-trading-education
I would say that it depens very much on what kind of investment you are interested.

real estate ?
Stocks / Futures / Forex ?
Long Term / Swing / Day trading ?
teko
fx-trading-education wrote:
I would say that it depens very much on what kind of investment you are interested.

real estate ?

Good point I didnt make that exactly clear did I? Smile Im primarily interested in Shares and the stock market but for for investments I guess you should diversify so real estate and commodities should also be probably taken into account as well.

have you idea recommendations for the areas you have mentioned above?
fx-trading-education
teko wrote:

real estate ?

Good point I didnt make that exactly clear did I? Smile Im primarily interested in Shares and the stock market but for for investments I guess you should diversify so real estate and commodities should also be probably taken into account as well.

have you idea recommendations for the areas you have mentioned above?

As you can guess from my pseudo I am more a Forex guy (Swing / Day trading)

But some books are probably valid for all markets, like the ones on the psychological aspects. The books from Mark Douglas (Trading in the Zone and the Disciplined Trader) are good.
The books from Jack Schwager (Market Wizards, New Market Wizards...) are also a good reading: they are interviews with very successful traders.
"Long-Term Secrets to Short-Term Trading" from Larry Williaws is also worth reading in my opinion.
teko
[quote="fx-trading-education"]
teko wrote:

But some books are probably valid for all markets, like the ones on the psychological aspects. The books from Mark Douglas (Trading in the Zone and the Disciplined Trader) are good.
The books from Jack Schwager (Market Wizards, New Market Wizards...) are also a good reading: they are interviews with very successful traders.
"Long-Term Secrets to Short-Term Trading" from Larry Williaws is also worth reading in my opinion.

Thanks for those suggestions, am always on the lookout for something new to read. I will take a look at them.

Actually I know very little about forex and how the whole thing works. Any suggestions on where to start reading about it?
fx-trading-education
[quote="teko"]
teko wrote:

Thanks for those suggestions, am always on the lookout for something new to read. I will take a look at them.

Actually I know very little about forex and how the whole thing works. Any suggestions on where to start reading about it?

For the basics you can find a lot of things on the Internet. Most of the brokers have an introduction presentation on their site. There are also plenty of papers that are good for an introduction and are available over the internet. There are also good forums like forex-tsd or forex factory.
And after that you can get a demo account on almost ant broker to have a flavour on how it works in real life.
teko
thanks for the information will start with wikipedia first as they seem to have some pages and links to other sites from there.
bangala
I remember reading a book titled something like: " How to make money in the stock market. "
Well after the bubble burst during the early 2000s, I used to joke with my friends about it and I said: " How to lose money in the stock market" lol
Well you just be carefull with this market!
teko
thanks for your concern! I'm mainly just interested as I dont really have the cash to invest at the moment. Even if I did it would be long term so that even with crashes the market would eventually even out the losses of course that depends if you pick companies with sound business