FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Automatically Locking Topics

garionw
In spite of the most recent bump, I'd like to put forward an idea to prevent this.

What would happen is, after 6 months of inactivity, the topic could get automatically locked.

You would need to introduce a Cron Jon to run weekly, and would update all topics with the last post more than three months.

A simple but effective way to make sure all current content is at the top's of our pages
Arseniy
Wow, interesting suggestion=)
And is it avaiable to do?
darrenpaul
They did this on a forum I use to use. It worked well.
LukeakaDanish
Why?

An old topic (for example in the support or suggestion forums) might be very relevant to post in...or even in the HTML+ forum...

I don't really see a reason for this...
ocalhoun
^I agree. Sometimes it is acceptable (or even commendable, in the case of a duplicate topic) to revive a long-dead topic.
Manofgames
ditto ocalhoun.
example topic - what not to sell in marketplace or phpbb3 disscussion.
LukeakaDanish
Manofgames wrote:
ps, its called pruning.

No, that would be deleting old topics, not locking them... Question
DeFwh
Well this would be a great way to get rid of stuff no one is reading but yes someone might want to revive it so there would need to be a a new request feature to unlock a topic.

Seriously after 6 months of inactivity, I would think a majority of posts would stay dormant as they would buried under pages of other newer posts.
Vrythramax
I used to post monthly forum stats, you now Top 10 this, top 10 that, but instead of creating a new topic everytime I just bumped and edited the older topic....sometimes a bump can be beneficial.....other times it is just posting for points cuz someone is to lazy or not creative enough to come up with a new idea on thier own. Usually they are spotted quickly and the topics get closed....but all in all....some topics need a good kick...err...bump sometimes Wink
hack_man_
But something like this would be good if it was only pointed at specific types of topics...

For example, it would always keep enormous topics open, ones that were very 'hot' back in their day, or ones that have accumulated lots of posts. Perhaps it would even factor the number of points given by posts in that topic.

Example: A thread that was posted 6 months ago that got less than one page of posts would get locked and get moved to the back of the forum and forgotten. But still kept there for reference for people searching.

Example: A thread that got lots of posts and was very 'hot' back in its day would be left for longer without being locked.

Example: A thread that contained more points-worth of posting would be kept open longer than a post with less cumulative points.

Perhaps it could be set up so that the thread creator can unlock it if they need or want to bring it back to life and bump it...
garionw
hack_man_, thats basically what I was thinking (More or Less)

Vrythramax, these topics that you post in, had they been inactive for 6 or more months?
Vrythramax
garionw wrote:
hack_man_, thats basically what I was thinking (More or Less)

Vrythramax, these topics that you post in, had they been inactive for 6 or more months?

Yes, they have been now, but at the time I was posting the stats I was bumping them monthly.

And to allow the author of any topic the right to unlock it would essentially give every person who creates a new topic moderator rights.....not gonna happen.....that's only my asessment, not my judgement (I am not an admin).
scotty
Make "bumping" topics against the TOS. Well it probably already is but just make it a more serious "offence".

Locking a topic just because it's old would be a bad idea. A better solution would be to have a message when you hit reply on a thread that is old saying are you sure this is the best thing to do. Or remove points off old topics because that will remove the urge for people to do it unless it is really required.
garionw
scotty wrote:
Make "bumping" topics against the TOS. Well it probably already is but just make it a more serious "offence".

Locking a topic just because it's old would be a bad idea. A better solution would be to have a message when you hit reply on a thread that is old saying are you sure this is the best thing to do. Or remove points off old topics because that will remove the urge for people to do it unless it is really required.

Thats a good idea, never thought of that
hack_man_
garionw wrote:
scotty wrote:

Thats a good idea, never thought of that

Yeah, that is a good idea...

Maybe the unlocking feature could be geared up differently... The creator an unlock the topic upon posting in it, but only if the auto-lock/prune was the thing that locked it... If a mod had locked it... The creator would not be able to re open it...
tidruG
Then what's the point of locking it automatically at all? Razz

I think the best idea so far is to give a little message that this thread is really old, and ask whether you're sure you want to open it or post and bump it.
Marston
It's easier to just leave them open in case someone wants to reply- I'll admit I'm a bit annoyed when people do reply to old topics, but sometimes they bring something new to the table and reinvigorate discussion in the topic.
scotty
To be honest I don't care if people dig up old topics. In fact I hate the way people flame them for doing it. I'd rather focus on changing the stimga associated with digging up an old topic (as opposed to bumping) but I'm guessing that will never happen. I think a message and removing points for old topics would reduce the number of people digging up old topics just because they can say something that will get them points.

That said I still don't care if an old topic is brought up, if they make a new thread people will just refer them to the old one anyway!
DeFwh
If people dont reply whats the difference if its locked or not. If it was locked no body can reply but if nobodies going to reply well then i guess its as good as locked.

Contrary to what I said before I still think it could be beneficial but the cons outweigh the pros. Making an automatic system probably wouldnt be to difficult but the drawback is that your putting more strain on the moderators and admins to evaluate / reopen topics.

Most people look on through the first five pages of a forum and if they want to find something deeper then that they should do a search. Locking does nothing except keep people from posting and every topic that isnt locked should get a chance. Locked topics are usually completed projects or the material is irrelavant or otherwise breaking some Frihost rule.

Also a flaw in this system is that if someone posts the day before the topic is locked its automatically reset and then it can get recycled through the forum. I guess thats not a bad thing recycling topics but if someone really wants to bump a topic without just saying "bump..." then i think its a least worth looking at.