You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to do a comic?

Can everyone tell me how to make a comic... its a work from the scohol and its difficult!!
hi there,

Well, i am not an expert but...

1- Get a good story
2- Focus on the most important moments of the story
3- Draw a kind of irregular grid
4- Draw those most important moments on the grid
5- Afterwards if you want, paint using the classic colors

Stay Cool.
Understanding Comics is an excellent tool for mastering the craft. As to practical tips:

Work large and reproduce small: Artists typically work in a scale twice as big as reproduction. Reducing teh image through scanning hidse a lot of eraser marks and lets you add MUCH more detail.

Befriend an art supply store employee: They know what tools work and can reccomend the right paper, pens, pencils and such for what you want to do.

STUDY the form: Look at everything from Chick Tracts to Zines for ideas. Ignore the glossy and polished that may be beyond your skills just now. Focus on what you can do. Start a journal or notebook. Doodle religiously.

Kick yourself out of your comfort zone: Try new things. Like drawing Batman all the time? Try drawing him reading the paper and drinking a cup of coffee. Play with new materials.

Look into Print on Demand, Cafe Press, and APE in San Francisco.

While I agree with the bit about doodling religiously, I think a lot of comics artists also go a bit overboard with the art, to the detriment of their stories. A comic is nothing without a story. That is, if we're talking about full-length comics, not strips. Words, plot, context, etc. will make your art more powerful, and you have to make sure there's something interesting tying it all together.
I am not an expert but here is a workflow that I use when I design flash animations. It could be used for comics too:

What is your target audience?
Who are your characters?
Their traits, personalnities, history and interaction with other.
Map out your storyline and plots
Settings, surroundings
And last but not least...
Doodle, draw and doodle and draw your a@# off!
Good luck
Draw boxes and draw people doing things in them. Make sure it's the same people.
Then stick the comic in your freezer for 3 hours and serve with chilled melon.
Well umn...I'm making my own comin, japanese comin anyway (manga).
I dream of being a mangaka (manga artist) with my artistic skills...XD
I have two currently.
Manga 1. BLACK
A boarding school. A boy has a curse mark on his back. INCOMPLETE

Manga 2. YUUDAI (HERO)
A 13 year old girl who always practiced fighting by herself, named Chikako Daichi. Her sister is always jealous of her. So when the military knocks on their door searching for boys to enroll, their mother and father (Kotokuou, and Mai-San) tell them there are no boys. Chikako fights her way into the military, seeing as it is her only chance. A couple days before, she had been engaged to her beloved, Hitori Kurahashi. She sets off with the military. As always, her envious sister prowls and harnests a deep jealousy.
Chikako and her fiance share the same room in the military base, but nothing rated M (mature) happens. The story is based on what happens to those two. Soon, Chikako and Hitori are forced to kill an innocent man, hired by force to the enemy forces to spy on the military's plan. Hitori steals his identity, to get revenge at enemy bases. Now known as Daisuke Bishukai, he must sneak into the enemy bases and discover their plan. Chikako worries for her beloved. When he brings back the plan, he is captured. Now it is up to Chikako to save her fiance` and have the adventure of her childhood dreams.
You need a lot of talent to design a my opinion.

If you own a computer you should try software like Adobe Flash(you can even animate your drawings).
I also suggest using a graphical tablet.
eggg wrote:
While I agree with the bit about doodling religiously, I think a lot of comics artists also go a bit overboard with the art, to the detriment of their stories. A comic is nothing without a story. That is, if we're talking about full-length comics, not strips. Words, plot, context, etc. will make your art more powerful, and you have to make sure there's something interesting tying it all together.

Sorry I missed this first time around, but I completely disagree with this assertation. Comics are, at their, core a visual medium, and as such, no matter how complex or involving the story, plot or writing, they're nothing without the art (well they're not nothing, they're just books.) Also, I have seen well executed comics that use NO text or dialogue and still tell an effective story through art alone.
The comic sells with story, then the art. At least for mangakas.

A lot of mangakas often battle each other to be published, but many of them are disqualified over and over again, not really because of art, but because of their lack of story and character development.

Of course, art is extremely important, too. It would be the best to at least have undying passion for art and the basic knowledge.

However, if the story just sucks, you won't get anywhere, unless you are working solely as an artist for someone else's story.

Even if you are god of art, make sure your art also captures the mood of your story and characters, too. A lot of mangas that are very popular in Japan, and highly recognized, are the ones that doesn't have some art that only an expert can master. Their art, for example, like "Sazaesan", "Chibi Maruko-chan", "Crayon Shin-chan" (the list goes ooon), their art seem like something an ordinary person can draw, but it has the style that captures the mood the manga is trying to give. Even if a lot of people who are not familiar with these stories might automatically say, "this manga sucks because their art sucks..," often forget that what has made these manags so popular is not really just the art, but the story.

So I'd say, work on the story and think about what sort of art style that will compliment it. Even the first ones might not be a success, just keep going until you feel as if you get better at what you're aiming for.
first ask those questions
what for: what is the goal of ut story
for who: who will read it
then the story itself
when why who how where
the scenario will be based on 4 5 episodes: introduction, the pb, the ways to resolve the pb, the resolution and the conclusion

the characters: u have to choose their goals, their past and future, and their design will have to mirror those things
when ull have designed and written the scenes draw it: its the most difficult...
it also depends what kind of comic you want to make, some (most) hand draw their stuff while others use a photoshop to make theirs, personaly I used to make sprite comics using photoshop
When I started making my first comics, they were basically heavy combinations of stick figures and heavy doses of nyquil. Now look at me, I'm semi-e-famous. Now, if only I did more comics...
Assuming that you are like me:

1. Don't have distractions.
2. Make sure you have LOTS of free time.
3. Make sure you are around people who don't mind hearing you spontaneously stand up, swear, and rip paper to bits. (Because that's how gruelling it can get)
4. Are you a creative person? Then do NOT attempt this creativity-draining activity.
5. Avoid going to deviantArt because all the really good artworks there are sure to depress you and induce suicidal thoughts.
6. Do NOT watch your fave animes during the time you're supposed to draw or you'll wake up and realize it's past the deadline.

Seriously though, all you need is a good story and a good plot. Very Happy

Good luck! Haha.
In order to make a comic of your own, you need to know a few things about the storyline...

1.) Introduction - You need to introduce some of the characters in the story; like the first 2 pages of your comic book.

2.) Conflict - The story has something to do with trouble-making and problems. For the comic to be catchy, you will definitly need this one.

3.) Rising Action - The characters need to DO something to make the problem go away or diminish of some sort.

4.) The Turning Point or the Climax - The people in the story needs to make turns to show some effect on what happened in the rising action part.

5.) Falling action - That is where the characters "sense" the effect/s of what happened in the climax.

6.) And lastly: The Ending of the Story - giving happy endings give the readers joy and excitement beyond the comics. Sad stories give them the blues, but it's also great - it depends on the writer how the characters go by and how they will end too.

I hope you would learn from this "small" and "quick" tutoring "How to make a Comic Book" thing. Good Luck!

-Anonymous21 (Peace!) Smile
Could you have gotten any more vague with your question? Confused

I'm not going to tell you "how" to make comics, because everyone has their own methods of going about reaching a final product. For me, the process is as follows:

1) Initial idea. One or two sentences describing the premise of the story I want to tell.

2) Fleshing out the idea. A couple paragraphs describing the general direction I want to go -- with an emphisis on a clear beginning middle and an eventual resolution. (I like comics that eventually end. So do most readers.)

If I can't come up with compelling basic storyline, the idea gets scrapped and I go back to step one.

If I can...

3) Outline the story in more specific terms. (sort of like you would for a report.) Start researching time/place/objects that would appear in your comic and compile useful visual aids and pictures. "Fantasy" is not a good excuse to skip this -- even the best fantasy stories are rooted in history and reality.

4) Scripting. I don't do this all at once, believe it or not. I work chapter by chapter with my scripts, so I have enough leeway to revise and change as needed and not feel guilty about it. I generally break it down so that I have a clear guide of one action-per-panel, a description of the camera shot and what goes in the panel, and what words will go there. This is NOT like writing prose.

5) Thumbnailing. I make small rough sketches of each page in a chapter, keeping in mind the flow of paneling, where the eye will rest and travel, and how word balloons, narration, and camera shots will affect this.

6) Pencilling. I use a good old #2 Ticonderoga and a throw-away .05 mechanical pencil for this. I lay out the panels with a RULER, and I pencil LIGHTLY right onto the manga paper I use. (I like manga paper because it's CHEAP, it's SMOOTH, and it stands up to erasing better than a lot of bristolboard) -- some artists use non-photo blue pencils, but in the age of reproduces most of the time, and editing it out can be a pain.

7) Inking. I start with panel borders with a 1.0 copic multiliner. I then work my way around the page, filling in blacks, and working on the lines. I use a combination of pen&ink, brushpen & micron.

8 ) Digital finishing. Depending on the comic, I scan directly into photoshop, adjust levels to make everything nice and strong black & white -- and then proceed to color. Then I add word balloons. (This is a how-to in and of itself, which I will eventually have a tutorial for on my site.)

Ooor, I scan into Manga studio, add screentones, and then export to photoshop and add the word balloons. Smile

9) Then I save everything to a high-res .pdf, make a backup in case I need to print, and then save a copy for web resolution, and upload my comic to whatever site I'm currently updating from. ;D

Phew. I really, really, really suggest getting yourself Scott McCloud's books, though, if you aren't so sure of where to begin. Understanding Comics & Making comics are essentials.

Hope this helps! And yes, it's a LOT of work. No one said it was easy.
The most important part is to find a very good story. It should catch the eyeballs of others immediately.
i think the easiest way is by looking at several examples. Go to your nearest barnes and noble and look at their section of comic books and limited manga chapters. It's hard but you need how to grasp storyboarding. Notice which scenes last how long and why. Ask yourself questions on what you would different and from there make a simple story. I consider this the easy part.

The hardest part in my opinion is drawing the characters and background. This will take a very long time. the basics are like people have stated understanding the grid. How you line up characters by view. Once you understand the grid than it really comes down to talent. I find most people do not have the talent to draw. You may need the most help there. The beginning parts come down to basics.

Nobody wants to buy a comic book with bad drawings, no story can fix that.
study before make and the history most important... how to happy the reader..for back again and again and read..
For a good comic, you need a lot of elements that are required in a novel. On top of those you need pretty solid graphic skills. Some really good comics can have bad visuals, but have a great plotline, but that usually takes an amazing story to pull through. Also, in manga especially, you need huge foresight and improvisation skills. Stories change over time, and if you keep doing the same old "hero kills foe" line over and over, you can get into a ditch that's impossible to get out of.

Also, know your audience. You have to read through some popular comics to really get to the meat of it. I can't really tell you why I like some of the mangas I read, but there's definitely a similarity in them. Do some research. Usually, personal research does more for you than getting opinions from a random batch of people.