FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

list of people that have birthdays

starfish2007
there be somthing that people that wantothers toknowof there birthdays tohave somthinglike today is mybirthday orsomthing show up next totherename whenthepost on ther birthday. . I just think this would be a good idea for people that don'tmind people knowingof ther birthday what does every one else think?
saratdear
Quite a nice idea. Or, do it like this; as some forums have : "These members have birthdays today - xxxx,yyyy,zzzz. "

How would that be? It's a good idea, a nice addition, so a thumbs up!
Arseniy
Hmm... frihost has 27139 members right now.
27139/365=74
How do you think, is it suitable to read 74 birthdays every day? Confused
DeFwh
Arseniy wrote:
Hmm... frihost has 27139 members right now.
27139/365=74
How do you think, is it suitable to read 74 birthdays every day? Confused

Also we will start getting topics like "Happy Birthday ______" or "Now you're legal ____!" Also this is just a fun little extra that would be cool but really this is also a bad thing as it gives those weirdos the ability to know when someone is born. It could be an invisible system where only the member and admins could see birthdays but then again if Frihost were hacked then bad people would know 27139 peoples birthdates and a whole lot of other private info.
Vrythramax
Somehow I think Bondings has more coding on his mind than announcing people's birthdays....but I have been know to be wrong Sad
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
....but I have been know to be wrong Sad

So you finally learned it Laughing.
Yes, this is unnessassery, who actually cares, I might care about the birthday of a member I actually know, but with one I don't my opinion is rather well...different. Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
It might be interesting to have something special happen on one's birthday...
(Such as you earn double frih$ on your birthday, or on your birthday, there is a random chance of your web site's link being on the homepage (the probability of this to be calculated as 1/number of people with birthday that day.))

Also, I wouldn't worry about having 74 birthdays a day; many of those users are no longer active here and wouldn't even know about it, while many active users here (the kind that don't use any of the profile fields, or upload an avatar, or have a sig) probably wouldn't use it anyway.
Vrythramax
Free beer would be really cool Cool

For those not old enough to drink....free cake (your favorite flavor of course).
tidruG
ocalhoun wrote:
(Such as you earn double frih$ on your birthday, or on your birthday, there is a random chance of your web site's link being on the homepage)

THat is an interesting idea worth exploring.
I suppose to discuss this and other such ideas is the only reason I'm going to let this thread be open.
hack_man_
Yes, this would be great! Thinks like IPB and SMF have things like this already built in... One wonders what is up with PHPbb... :p

@ Bondings... Could you get it done tonight? Double FRIH$ for tomorrow would be great for me! :p *Yay*
Vrythramax
hack_man_ wrote:
Yes, this would be great! Thinks like IPB and SMF have things like this already built in... One wonders what is up with PHPbb... :p

@ Bondings... Could you get it done tonight? Double FRIH$ for tomorrow would be great for me! :p *Yay*

I hate to rain on your parade, but tomorrow never gets here, once the clock changes, it is today, and anything before that is yesterday.
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

I hate to rain on your parade, but tomorrow never gets here, once the clock changes, it is today, and anything before that is yesterday.

How poetic Vryth, did you write it yourself? Could use some fine-tuning though. And Tommorow is just a word to describe the next day, for everyday we move forward tommorow does too, it is an illusion we give to ourselves, it is not anything, because there is no day either, just time, and weither its dark or not.
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:

Great, I'll just go tell my boss that. I'm sure he'll understand, and be enlightened about it.
Manofgames
lol, what are we talking about? Poetry or birthdays Laughing
Personally, I say nay, as there's no point to it, and lets face it, the main page is big enough as it is without an extra couple of rows for birthdays.

Also, I'm sure a lot of people here would rather not have their birthday displayed on the main page, and I know now I've said that, that someone will say 'There could be an option in profile to stop your birthday showing'.
Yeah sure that's an option which would make it better for usability, but IMO there's no point to it.

HOWEVER, perhaps having a little icon in the user's profile section of the post with a little birthday cake or what not, that would be pretty good, and that could be disabled/enabled from the profile page too.

ocalhoun wrote:

(Such as you earn double frih$ on your birthday

I have to agree and disagree with this.
Yes, itd be cool, I think everyone here'd enjoy it, but perhaps not the extra frih$, as to be honest there's no real point to them, and having double point posting per day would just put more into circulation, making them even more redundant.
ocalhoun wrote:

or on your birthday, there is a random chance of your web site's link being on the homepage (the probability of this to be calculated as 1/number of people with birthday that day.))

When Bondings (Eventually) updates the homepage, that'd be a good thing to incorporate into it, as the current homepage is too drab, forum is a bit crowded at the moment, what with the ads and all.

The down side to 'Birthday treats', is that the bad eggs out there will no doubt try to get past the system by changing their birthday etc, thought this might be stoppable with some neat programming, I don't know.
arkebuzer
I dont really see the point on displaying who´s having their birthday today.
On a smaller private forum it could probably fill a purpose, but on a forum with 27k members of wich most dont know eachother very well I dont see the use.
I mean, this would most likely just generate a lot of spam when people want to have frih$/more posts, as DeFwh pointed out.
And if you know someone quite well and want to gratulate this person I´m quite sure most people wont read through a list of ~75 members each day just to check if there´s some friend on it to congratulate.
The part that you would get twice the frih$/post ratio sounds like a fair deal, BUT! I dont think it really matters... getting a few extra frih$ each year is not a big deal, but the programming to make this happend and beeing safe of abuse probably requires quite some work(And hey, Bondings does not have infinate ammounts of time).
timtotango
Why Would I want to share my birthday with you guys?
it is for me more a private matter. I mean, I really dislike it when people start singing unasked when I happen to find myself another year older than I already was....
Vrythramax
reddishblue wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

How poetic Vryth, did you write it yourself? Could use some fine-tuning though. And Tommorow is just a word to describe the next day, for everyday we move forward tommorow does too, it is an illusion we give to ourselves, it is not anything, because there is no day either, just time, and weither its dark or not.

Interesting....you put me down for a quote....then talk about illusions about the next day that only re-enforces my quote.
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

Interesting....you put me down for a quote....then talk about illusions about the next day that only re-enforces my quote.

Since when do you need to argue to quote someone, I guess I could have made my reply sound less like an argument though, since it clearly wasn't.
Vrythramax
@reddishblue

It's all good....I seek no arguement either Smile
tidruG
I'm going to -lock- this thread, because I highly doubt if we're going to display birthdays anywhere. It's quite possible that there might be a Buddy list in the new User CP, and perhaps you can get Bondings to have upcoming/today's birthdays for people from your buddy list displayed there.

You could make a new suggestion for that if you want.

I also quite like ocalhoun's idea of getting to have your site linked to from the homepage or something (for your birthday). If you want, you can create a new suggestion thread for it, and suggest that and other "goodies" you would like to have on your birthday.