FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Prince Harry





otiscom
Well should he go to Iraq and do front line patrols?

One view is if he goes he will endanger the lives of his troops because he's a Royal and therefor a target (if the Iraqies know him).

If he goes but stays away from his troops in a command post will they respect him?

If he doesn't go the families who have lost loved ones will think there is one rule for them and a diferent one for Royals.

Dammed if he does, damned if he doesn't !
Bikerman
otiscom wrote:
Well should he go to Iraq and do front line patrols?

One view is if he goes he will endanger the lives of his troops because he's a Royal and therefor a target (if the Iraqies know him).

If he goes but stays away from his troops in a command post will they respect him?

If he doesn't go the families who have lost loved ones will think there is one rule for them and a diferent one for Royals.

Dammed if he does, damned if he doesn't !

Indicates how badly the MOD run things - this should never have become an issue and now there is no 'good' result.
Personally I think he should go. There again, I believe it should be compulsory for the children of top politicians (PM and cabinet) to serve in any war that this country gets involved in. It should also be compulsory for any Government that takes us into such a war to resign. It would focus minds wonderfully before taking such a step. If there really was a justification then fine...there would be no disgrace in resigning as it would be compulsory. That would eliminate the temptation to make political capital out of War.
poiko123
I believe he should go. The attacks on troops will happen anyway, but this time it would just be a targeted one. I don't think him going will result in any extra casualties.
inphurno
i dont even understand why this is news... does it even matter if he goes to war or not? what possible impact can it have on the country. its the type of news that we see all too often. celebrity related news which is not really important information but takes place in newscasts and newspapers to distract people from important issues that face the world. its very sad that what should essentially should be his choice becomes part of public debate. as if anyone really cares if another rich snooty kid gets the chance to shoot at iraqis. people only talk about it because its fed to them by the media not because they would be interested in it in the first place.
Moonspider
inphurno wrote:
i dont even understand why this is news... does it even matter if he goes to war or not? what possible impact can it have on the country. its the type of news that we see all too often. celebrity related news which is not really important information but takes place in newscasts and newspapers to distract people from important issues that face the world. its very sad that what should essentially should be his choice becomes part of public debate. as if anyone really cares if another rich snooty kid gets the chance to shoot at iraqis. people only talk about it because its fed to them by the media not because they would be interested in it in the first place.


Prince Harry is not just "another rich snooty kid." He is a member of the British royal family and is in direct line of succession for the English crown. Therefore, this issue has much broader ramifications than simple tabloid gossip. There are serious political, strategic, and even tactical implications.

I agree with Chris. I don't think the MOD seriously thought this through beforehand. I respect the notion of treating Prince Harry simply as another officer. However the fact remains that he is not. His position in the monarchy dramatically alters the strategic and tactical landscape in Iraq where he will be operating.

Respectfully,
M
smarter
Moonspider wrote:
inphurno wrote:
i dont even understand why this is news... does it even matter if he goes to war or not? what possible impact can it have on the country. its the type of news that we see all too often. celebrity related news which is not really important information but takes place in newscasts and newspapers to distract people from important issues that face the world. its very sad that what should essentially should be his choice becomes part of public debate. as if anyone really cares if another rich snooty kid gets the chance to shoot at iraqis. people only talk about it because its fed to them by the media not because they would be interested in it in the first place.


Prince Harry is not just "another rich snooty kid." He is a member of the British royal family and is in direct line of succession for the English crown. Therefore, this issue has much broader ramifications than simple tabloid gossip. There are serious political, strategic, and even tactical implications.


I agree with inphurno.
1) This is not news. In fact by making public his presence there mass media only increase danger for him and companions. Terrorists would want to kill him primarily for publicity ("biggest event" for UK media).
2) If a man dies it doesn't matter if he was a prince or a beggar. Equal treatment for all!
Moonspider
smarter wrote:

2) If a man dies it doesn't matter if he was a prince or a beggar. Equal treatment for all!


I agree in principle. (I am an American and as such could care less about royalty.) However that is not reality.

Respectfully,
M
wellerchap
He should have gone, without all the press being informed....then if they find out they shouldn't get hysterical about it (as the do with everything else these days Evil or Very Mad )...the press very often blow up stuff like this to sell their papers, when really it's not newsworthy at all....the idiots that buy the paper make it so.

Personally, I fear we have enough nutters in the UK now, sadly, that the whole of the Royal Family here would be under threat from "our own"* fundamentalists once he steps on Arab soil.


* phrase used in the loosest possible sense
inphurno
Moonspider wrote:


I agree in principle. (I am an American and as such could care less about royalty.) However that is not reality.

Respectfully,
M


the "reality" that you speak of is the "reality" put forward by the media and should not be confused with real news. i'm not saying that no one should be interested in this. obviously there are some people that love the british monarchy: people who do business with royal family, actual members of the royal family, decendants of the serfs of the royal family, etc... As you can see this is not really a great cross section of the population.
Moonspider
inphurno wrote:
Moonspider wrote:


I agree in principle. (I am an American and as such could care less about royalty.) However that is not reality.

Respectfully,
M


the "reality" that you speak of is the "reality" put forward by the media and should not be confused with real news. i'm not saying that no one should be interested in this. obviously there are some people that love the british monarchy: people who do business with royal family, actual members of the royal family, decendants of the serfs of the royal family, etc... As you can see this is not really a great cross section of the population.


No. The reality of which I speak is that there are legitimate strategic and tactial considerations to take into account. He is not simply a celebrity. He is a political as well as symbolic figure. Therefore he is also a high value target. His uniformed presence in Iraq can pose difficulties and may even provide opportunities both politically and militarily.

Respectfully,
M
jwellsy
I suspect that he will go over there so he can lead the retreat/charge/withdrawal home.
Lots of political spin could be be put on that.
Tiger
Moonspider wrote:

Prince Harry is not just "another rich snooty kid." He is a member of the British royal family and is in direct line of succession for the English crown. Therefore, this issue has much broader ramifications than simple tabloid gossip. There are serious political, strategic, and even tactical implications.


If he's to go, it should have been kept top secret and not announced publicly for one thing. That would definitely have reduced the danger to himself and others. If nobody knows he's there ther'd be no issue.

He's certainly not the first Royal to head out to war in the last 50 years, but in my opinion, the media in general give the enemy far too much information on what's going on.
wellerchap
the British Press always do shoot off their mouths FAR too much......they have absolutely no sense of discretion, but it's the idiots that buy their publications that I blame too...if our general public kept their noses out of things that aren't important or "news-worthy", there'd be no gutter press over-sensationalising things all the time.
Generally speaking, your average human being in this country (Britain) is pretty dim, and far too interested in "popular culture".
Lord Klorel
It is not good that prince harry will go to Iraq, because as sayed it would bring more danger for his regiment but also it gives the problem to destroy a nation just by using a man of the royal blood.
Lukely i haerd today that Prince Harry will not go to Iraq, because he understands the danger that would be created when he will appear in that region.

I hope that every a man of the royal blood or man with a high rank will not go this regions, because this give only more problems and these problems can be missed.
Bikerman
wellerchap wrote:
the British Press always do shoot off their mouths FAR too much......they have absolutely no sense of discretion, but it's the idiots that buy their publications that I blame too...if our general public kept their noses out of things that aren't important or "news-worthy", there'd be no gutter press over-sensationalising things all the time.
Generally speaking, your average human being in this country (Britain) is pretty dim, and far too interested in "popular culture".

This is a pretty elitist stance. Who decides what is newsworthy and what is important? Is it not a matter of public interest whether a Royal goes to Iraq? The average person in Britain is of average intelligence, by definition. The fact that they are interested in popular culture would seem to me a bit of a tautology - if the public were not interested then it would not be popular culture.
ainieas
How do you tell the public of England that the life of Prince Harry is worth more than their sons?
Moonspider
ainieas wrote:
How do you tell the public of England that the life of Prince Harry is worth more than their sons?


Simple. It's a monarchy. There is no expectation of equality. In fact, by its very nature there is an expectation of inequality.

If you want "royalty" to be technically no different than everyone else, you must rid yourself of royalty and titles.

Respectfully,
M
wellerchap
ainieas wrote:
How do you tell the public of England that the life of Prince Harry is worth more than their sons?


You shouldn't need to.....you should send him out there with his regiment, let him get on with his job & bring him home when he's finished....giving him a heroes welcome along with all the other men (& women) upon their return.....under no circumstance should you go and announce it to the world (& more importantly the insurgents) that a member of their enemy's Royal Family is heading out to fight them....it smacks of absolute idiocy. Rolling Eyes
Related topics
Harry potter only for children ???
Harry Potter 6 - The Half-Blood Prince *(ENDING REVEALED)*
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Want to win a copy the DELUXE editon of Harry Potter and HBP
Harry Potter fans
a disccusion about harry potter and the half blood prince
The British Royal Family
EASTENDERS!!!!!!!
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Which is your favourite Harry Potter book amongst the seven?
2009 Predictions
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince **Spoiler Alert**
Australian lawmaker stirs burqa controversy
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.