FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Home Network

Talk2Tom11
I am looking to set up a network in my house to network all the computers together. pretty much I want to share a common folder. I have a wireless g network up right now. All the machines in my house are running Windows XP.

Not sure if it matters but they are all running 32-bit except for one which is running xp 64-bit.

I would also like to know if there is any way to have it be able to share a printer and possibly speakers.

Thank you to anyone that could be of help or send me in the right direction.
kevinalle
in the wireless networks panel you have a "Set up a wireless network for a home or small office" link, wich takes you trough a wizard. I think you will need a pendrive.
psycosquirrel
Laughing That was very vague.

Sharing is simple if all the computers connect through the same wireless router. Just right-click the folder, go to properties, and click the sharing tab. Click the Share this Folder on the Network checkbox and give it a good name.

To access it from other computers, go to My Network Places, View Workgroup Computers, then double-click the computer the files are on and open the folder / drive.

Sharing printer is a bit more difficult-- Google it.

Sharing speakers is impossible without using remote desktop, or at least as far as I know of.

Hope that helps.
PseudoKnight
Do not be surprised if you run into problems. They are quite common for Windows networking.

Personally, I use a fast USB drive more often than the network. I just don't want to have to deal with Windows networking. It's fussy even when it's working properly. I don't like to depend on it because I know an inexplicable problem could pop up at any moment. It's just annoying.
psycosquirrel
Valid point. If you don't know what you are doing, it is often better to not deal with Windows networking, as it takes a lot of trial and error or a lot of prior knowledge to get working properly.
Talk2Tom11
PseudoKnight wrote:
Do not be surprised if you run into problems. They are quite common for Windows networking.

Personally, I use a fast USB drive more often than the network. I just don't want to have to deal with Windows networking. It's fussy even when it's working properly. I don't like to depend on it because I know an inexplicable problem could pop up at any moment. It's just annoying.

OK... thank you for the heads up....

I am creating a theater room in my house... and have a main computer running the whole room.... and i want to be able to communicate with it with any other computer in the house. But i guess i will look into alternative ways to do what I want to do.
psycosquirrel
Have you considered storing all movies and shows to externals? That way, you could share all the files. I recommend the WD Mybook, get one or two 500Gb mybooks and you'll be all set.