FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Creating a new phpbb forum on my new domain.

Ghost900
I have been using my PHP forum and set it up using this.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-48865.html

It worked when I used my frihost subdomain but when I use my full domain then it works until I get to Step 25 but then it gives me an error message once I click "Start Install".

Here is the error: The requested URL could not be found on this server!!!

Quote:
Step 25.
The part where most people give up due to confusion but in fact one of the easiest stages. You need to go to the install page now. To visit this simply visit your forum directory and it automaticly redirect you!
In my example I uploaded it into the domain folder, mathiaus.frih.net and it created its own folder called forum so I would visit: http://mathiaus.frih.net/forum

Default Board Language: Simple enough. What lanaguage should guests and anyone who havent set their language, see?
Database Type: At Frihost we use V4 so choose 'MySQL 4.x/5.x'
Choose your installation method: Were installing so leave it alone.
----------
Database Server Hostname / DSN: make it 'localhost'
Your Database Name: As created in step 23. In my case my DA username is mathiaus and I called the database forum, so the database name is 'mathiaus_forum'
Database Username: Also from step 23. My DA username is mathiaus and created the user phpbb so the database username is 'mathiaus_phpbb'
Database Password: In my case I chose 'password' put yo should enter the password you created in step 23.
Prefix for tables in database: Leave as phpbb_ unless you already have phpbb installed using the same database.
----------
Admin email address: The address of yourself for admin emails to be sent to (and sent from to users).
Domain name: Hopefully obvious.
Server Port: Leave at 80
Script Path: This will depend on where you uploaded to and what you called your directory later. Its in relation from public_html so if you uploaded one directory up (public_html/forum) you just need '/forum'/. If you went sevral directorys higher you would need to enter them.
Administrator Username: This is the name of your admin account for your forum.
Administrator Password: Craete a password for the above account
Administrator Password [confirm]: Same as above
Click 'Start Install' (green)

This is what I filled out on mine but I obviously made it mine instead Smile
but because I am using my own domain do I have to do anything different to anything or can I only have one forum under Dadabase and localhost?
mathiaus
Ghost900 wrote:
Quote:
Step 25.
The part where most people give up due to confusion but in fact one of the easiest stages. You need to go to the install page now. To visit this simply visit your forum directory and it automaticly redirect you!
In my example I uploaded it into the domain folder, mathiaus.frih.net and it created its own folder called forum so I would visit: http://mathiaus.frih.net/forum

Default Board Language: Simple enough. What lanaguage should guests and anyone who havent set their language, see?
Database Type: At Frihost we use V4 so choose 'MySQL 4.x/5.x'
Choose your installation method: Were installing so leave it alone.
----------
Database Server Hostname / DSN: make it 'localhost'
Your Database Name: As created in step 23. In my case my DA username is mathiaus and I called the database forum, so the database name is 'mathiaus_forum'
Database Username: Also from step 23. My DA username is mathiaus and created the user phpbb so the database username is 'mathiaus_phpbb'
Database Password: In my case I chose 'password' put yo should enter the password you created in step 23.
Prefix for tables in database: Leave as phpbb_ unless you already have phpbb installed using the same database.
----------
Admin email address: The address of yourself for admin emails to be sent to (and sent from to users).
Domain name: Hopefully obvious.
Server Port: Leave at 80
Script Path: This will depend on where you uploaded to and what you called your directory later. Its in relation from public_html so if you uploaded one directory up (public_html/forum) you just need '/forum'/. If you went sevral directorys higher you would need to enter them.
Administrator Username: This is the name of your admin account for your forum.
Administrator Password: Craete a password for the above account
Administrator Password [confirm]: Same as above
Click 'Start Install' (green)

This is what I filled out on mine but I obviously made it mine instead Smile
but because I am using my own domain do I have to do anything different to anything or can I only have one forum under Dadabase and localhost?

I made the required changes in bold. You need to use your new domain in the domain field. You can use the same database, though not the same fields as it it will try to create new ones. Change the database prefix to something else eg new_
If you want to keep your database,you don't need to re-install the forum, just change the config values in the phpbb_config table.
Ghost900
I did that.

Here is a pic of what it looks like.

Picture Removed now that problem is fixed.
mathiaus
and .... ? Did you get an error or something?
Ghost900
ya I keep getting this error: The requested URL could not be found on this server!!!

It may be that I got the domain yesterday and it is still too new but the website is up so I don't think that is it.

I just went to my website and I could see it but I went on another computer and I couldn't see it.

My domain is only 1 day old so I am going to wait a while and see if it works later.

I think the Domain may be not fully up or something. Very Happy
Diablosblizz
Have you checked for missing files. Sometimes either FTP / .tars will miss files, and therefor giving you the error above. Make sure you have every file (do a rough count, go onto your FTP and highlight all, and do the same on your computer).

If not, just upload those files. It make some time, but if you want PHPBB to work, then you will probably want to do that.

Hope this helps.
Ghost900
I got it too work finally. The problem was because the domain was not old enough I guess. (I have had the domain 2-3 days now).

Thanks mathiaus and Diablosblizz for trying to help. Angel

And also a thanks for the great tutorial you made, mathiaus. Very Happy

--Closed--

(O How I wish I had Admin Superpowers) Wink

Note: The Whistle Emoticon doesn't work.
mathiaus
Ghost900 wrote:
--Closed--

(O How I wish I had Admin Superpowers) Wink

I don't need to wish Razz
-close-