FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

America

chernij
I recently went to America - only to be anoyyed by the prices of electronics. I am from England, and most things here are twice the price (thanks to the pounds strength against the dollar). For example, a video game for the Nintendo DS here is the equivelant of $60, whereas in the USA they are a cheap $30. With games coming out 2 months earlier in the USA, and being half the price, I am disgusted. However, I did manage to get out of this, thanks to some friends in America. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were recently released on the 22nd of April, whereas they would be $60 and out in the UK on June 1. So, my friends is buying both games and flying them over - an ingenious idea!! Very Happy Very Happy
ocalhoun
Well, I suppose there is an advantage to loosing our economy to the benefit of Japan (And other countries) after all...
They show their gratitude by giving us extra-low prices.

In reality, it probably is just that the supply lines from Japan to America are very well established, and therefore very cheap.
jwellsy
If you're looking for cheap electronics,
go to Singapore.
You can find whole shopping malls of counterfeit stuff.
bangala
I am always surprised by how low prices are in the United States.
melissareich
Haha, that's funny. I actually learned something today and I'm not in school. I mean, yeah I've seen the games around at the mall's game stores and Best Buy... they are $30.00

It does sound smart to have your friends send them to you, probably should do that more often, lol.
slasonic
I agree...one of the best things about america is the accessiblity of practically EVERYTHING. All you need is a credit card and an internet connection. It seems that ebay is practically 90% america (10% UK).

If you really want to get some deals, form a corporation for $200 per year. Companies will let you get wholesale prices, which are generally 20 % or more less than shelf prices. Websites like newegg.com are bringing these prices to consumers, fortunately.

I can't imagine why they charge so much for games in the UK, are we just being a**holes. You all should boycott freakin sony.
ocalhoun
slasonic wrote:
why they charge so much for games in the UK,

Because they can, and people pay it.

Or perhaps they just haven't figured out that pounds and dollars are not the same thing, so they list the price as the same in each. Wink
suntzu3500
jwellsy wrote:
go to Singapore.

Sadly, I must agree. Import / Export taxes and shipping expenses are rather high for the UK, and counterfeit / smuggled goods are frequently substantially cheaper.
illegalhost
yeah, i do agree, the taxes alone could be a headache. some taxes are twice the amt of the goods themselves!! but honestly, as a westerner, the real deal would be in Asia due to the currency difference... imagine that! for the Asians, of course it would be a loss if they buy from the western countries, sadly... if i am a westerner, i would buy wholesale from Asia and sell higher in the States or UK and get a handsome profit! lol.
onemoment
in australia too, electronics seemed cheaper though i imagine not as bad compared to the uk. the biggest gripe at the moment is how in america adobe products such as the new photoshop or creative suite is selling half the price as it is to get over here. ridiculous.
LimpFish
yea EVERYthing is cheaper in the US. I don't know why really though. I guess their pretty much non existing sales tax makes up for some of it. And then also maybe the fact that the average salary in the US probably is lower than in Europe... or what do you guys think the reasons for the low prices in the US?
poly
America is awesome, not only because of the cheap electronics! The IPods here are so cheap!
evilryu530
population. we have a much larger population, makes it cheaper over here, it's crazy i see the prices of the psp in england is like 375 bucks, or 400. over here it's 200 bucks....well at the time a few months ago.....nutz, anyways, i just got back from sandiego and la, in california. it was awesome lots of fine ladies, and had a good time, went to seaworld and universal studio.
Azmo
I do this all the tme.. got alot of friends from other countries.. just checking prices.. if it's cheaper in another country.. I transfer cash trough paypal or something.. they buy it and send it over.. works great Smile ofc, you rly should trust the person with your cash if you are going to do this Smile
socialoutcast
America is has a very capitalistic economy and goods and services are very competitive here in the U.S.

However, you just want to visit, America has some beautiful scenery. I would recommend Colorado or anywhere in the Northwest.
iresc
i lived in america for 10 years (Utah and mississippi). It is a great country with wonderful scenery. But after Sept 11, things changed, so I left.
poly
You are right, electronics are really cheap in the states.. I think they are even cheaper in Korea and China were that are produced..
HDirtwater
Quote:
I think they are even cheaper in Korea and China were that are produced..

Just look out for counterfeit or knock offs from China. This is big business over there, and it is illegal to sell counterfeit stuff in the US. If you're thinking of buying a computer/phone/ipod/dvd player in the US and the price seems too good to be true, it is most likely a Chinese knock-off that will break in 3 days after you buy it.
tennispro9911
I'm American and everything is much cheaper than England here. Also there are some gorgeous places I've visited. Niagara Falls is breathtaking, although not worth traveling an extremely long distance to see one thing. New York City has some really cool places to visit as does most large cities but the big apple has a distinct culture to it. Another difference that from a lot of other countries is the abundance of meat here. We can order a 16 oz steak that I believe is very unusual in other countries.
jaudaa
Go to Norway and u see how exspensive norway is.. i hate Norway !
Molle
jaudaa wrote:
Go to Norway and u see how exspensive norway is.. i hate Norway !

Norway is expensive, yes. But most people get a lot of money when they are working here... I don't think Norway is very expensive, since many in my family live and work here.

America, ahh... I want to go there. Never been, but maybe one day.
patasarriba
Everything costs more in England, but they give you better schools and health care so in the end you're much better off...here in America I could buy cheap video games if I wanted to, but if I want to see the doctor I'm out over $200 before I even pick up any medication! If I could live in England, I would.
takashiro
bangala wrote:
I am always surprised by how low prices are in the United States.

humm.. I think so. Goods are even cheaper in China. Is that because US dollar is more valueble?
LimpFish
in sweden we pay LOTS of taxes, and all other taxes are really high, including our sales taxes at 25%, which means everything is really expensive here. But we do have totally free health care, totally free education (all the way from kindergarten up to university), the government actually pays me about $400/month to go to the university Smile
thomasw
im from the uk and when i go to america i always buy stuff because its soo cheap - but i forget the tax isnt in the price like it is in the uk and get the wrong amount of money out, wouldnt it just be easier for the some to put the price + tax on the labels instead???

its still amazingly cheap though Smile
liljp617
LimpFish wrote:
yea EVERYthing is cheaper in the US. I don't know why really though. I guess their pretty much non existing sales tax makes up for some of it. And then also maybe the fact that the average salary in the US probably is lower than in Europe... or what do you guys think the reasons for the low prices in the US?

It's called capitalism Wink
MRaftery
jwellsy wrote:
go to Singapore.

I couldn't believe how cheap stuff was when I was over there!
soldeinvierno
america mola tb....es muy way y me divierte mucho
mikeperhem1
America is very expensive as its currency hikes day by day .
mikeperhem1
America currency is increasing day by day.
mikeperhem1
America Is one of the largest and most diverse countries in the world. This is a list of the most popular tourist attractions in the United States:
White House
Walt Disney World Resort
Mall of America
Times Square
Las Vegas Strip
National Mall and Memorial Parks
mikeperhem1
America is one of the largest and most diverse countries in the world and fantastic place to visit. there are lots of places to visit. there places are:
Walt Disney World Resort
Mall of America
Times Square
Las Vegas Strip
National Mall and Memorial Parks
Disneyland Resort
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
White House