FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good photo editing software?

jay84h
Which would be a good photo editing software? I have heard of Adobe PhotoShop, however I have never used that. I have however used Corel Paint Shop Pro. If any others are available, please list them. Thanks!
SlideR.nl
I've searched on the internet and i found this:

Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006

GIMP

And if you read THIS article. Here in this article are more photo editors.
jay84h
Didn't know Microsoft had a photo editing software out, what was I thinking? This is Microsoft, they obviously have one of those out, haha. Thanks for the link, i've heard many good things about Adobe PhotoShop, I may give that a try and see what it's like.
SlideR.nl
jay84h wrote:
Didn't know Microsoft had a photo editing software out, what was I thinking? This is Microsoft, they obviously have one of those out, haha. Thanks for the link, i've heard many good things about Adobe PhotoShop, I may give that a try and see what it's like.

PhotoShop is a very good program only a little bit expensive Smile Wink

I've used photoshop for a long time now I stopped. I made signaturs avatars etc. with it. But take your time to learn to work with PhotoShop. You have to read a lot of tutorials.
jay84h
Good stuff, will keep that in mind. Thanks for the replies Smile
srujanlive
Adobe photoshop and GIMP are the best ones i have used.
ammonkc
Adobe photoshop is really in a class by itself. that being said its a really deep program, and if you don't invest some time in learning it, it could be a waste of money. Photoshop is a very complicated and powerful app and is pretty expensive. but you can't go wrong with it if you know what you're doing
jay84h
That's good stuff than, I am willing to invest some time ijnto learning what it's about and learning all the new features ot enhance graphics to any extent. By the way, which would be the best version of PhotoShop? PhotoShop CS3, PhotoShop Elements or PhotoShop Lightroom. My guess would be Elements as it is ranked #1 on toptenreviews.com, am I wrong or right?
ammonkc
Photoshop is the Newest version of the professional app, and I believe you can only by it bundled in the CS3 Design suite. I don't think that they are selling it separately anymore (but I could be wrong).

Photoshop Elements is a more basic version for consumers. It has a lot of the same features of Photoshop CS3 with some more advanced features stripped out.

Photoshop Lightroom is a different kind of application. its is for handling RAW images. Photoshop Lightroom is comparable to Aperture on the Mac.
jay84h
Ahh, I understand, so if I would want the real deal PhotoShop, than CS3 would be the choice, if I would like a little less PhotoShop, than Elements would be the choice. I am not extremely graphics professional, so I am guessing that PhotoShop Elements would be the choice for me.
ammonkc
Correct. Photoshop Elements may be the way to go if you are just learning. But if the cost is not an issue, then Photoshop CS3 would be good also.
jay84h
Good stuff, I understand. I am taking a look at the Adobe website and it does look as if Elements is for Casual graphic artists, while CS3 is more used towards professionals. I may just get Elements, and who knows if I become better or demand more, than I will go the step higher to CS3.
XlaiR
That's nice! You should really use photoshop! It is so ****ing good!

~XlaiR
jay84h
I went and got Adobe PhotoShop and so far I like it, I tested it out a bit and like the features that is available with it.
WickedGravity
Sorry guys, The GIMP is a thousand times better than Photoshop ever will be.

Why you ask?

Photoshop is a piece of software that is owned by Adobe and doing anything to the core of it is nearly impossible if some functionality you desire is not included in the default package.

The GIMP is open-source and you are ENCOURAGED to hack the thing to death and make new discoveries.

Hell, if you like Photoshop so much, and yet want to take the road of Open-source, go ahead and try GIMPShop it has all of the appearances of it, but not the bloat and cost.
marixworld
photoshop is the best. although you need a faster computer so that photoshop could run efficiently, the outcomes are quite better. you can either vector or bitmap graphics on photoshop, though it's better on working with bitmaps. Also, when added with powerful plugins, photoshop is a powerful tool (i couldn't believe our graphics artist before design a three-dimensional hour glass with just photoshop).
orcaz
IMO, photoshop is no doubt the best image editing software. However, GIMP is the best free alternative to Photoshop.
qebab
I still have my own Photoshop 7 from back in the day. It is one of those applications I still treasure even after so much time. I have wasted countless hours on it. GIMP is a very good alternative, as far as I know, but I haven't used it much.
pashmina
I have been using the photoshop 7 for a very long time and it has been the best photo editing software ever made..
ludo
i like photoshop
Studio Madcrow
You say you've used Paint Shop Pro? Why not stick with it, it's good stuff. Corel makes some of the best, but most under-rated products around. WordPerfect and Paint Shop Pro kick the ass of MS Word and Adobe Photoshop any day of the week. And they're cheap.
BlueVD
I've used PhotoShop since 1999. The first encounter with GIMP was in 2002.
Each of them have their own advantages and disadvantages that you should know.
Each of them have powerful features that the other one lack. However both are intended as professional Photo Editing Software.

PhotoShop
Pros:

• Good file type support (all well known formats, expandable by using plugins; native support for GIF, PNG, JPEG, BMP, etc)
  • Well designed UI (Adobe has a very long and good experience when it comes to User Interface Design)
  • Fast optimized transformation algorithms (although people think it's a bit slow at some stuff, in fact it offers the best speed for heavy FX with no compromise at quality)
  • A very good and long list of effects that come built in and they can be extended using plugins
  • Batch processing (conversion, resizing, etc.)
  • Lots of tutorials on the net
  • Good integration with other software (even if mostly they are from Adobe, it's a good thing non the less)
  • A lot of freeware brushes presets, capability of creating your own brushes presets.

Cons:

• Not free or open source
  • Until version CS PhotoShop had a nasty bug when publishing PNG's. It was related to the transparency layer
  • Even it they (Adobe) say you can manage it all with their help files, you can't. It has an extensive help system, but they only tell you what "it" does, complicated things, well, you have to figure them out.

GIMP
Pros:

• Freeware and OpenSource. If you know your way with programming, this can really be fun.
  • Although it lacks a few features, usually you will find that people will help you with getting them (beauty of OpenSource)
  • Very fast at some processing algorithms
  • Batch processing support
  • Good file extension support
  • Some neat FX and "hacks"

Cons:

• Tutorials are few compared to PhotoShop.
  • The help files are not all that well sorted out.
  • The UI is a killer at start, though GIMPShop does seem to try and fix this one.
  • Lots of bugs in the WIN port.
  • Lack of some extendability features although people are working on this one.
  • You need GTK installed to work with it.

Depending on what you plan to do, you can chose between these 2 apps.
PhotoShop is mainly targeted for experienced photo editors, etc. You'll find many tuts for most of its features but it will take you at least 3 or 4 months to learn the basics and medium features. The same goes for GIMP with a few exceptions.
If you just want to play with your pics, and render a few effects, you're better of using other software. However, if you need some power, to do some neat stuff to your pics, you'll need either PhotoShop or GIMP. Nothing can beat these two "beasts".
Take a look at these pics I attached. They are made in PhotoShop.
Original PIC:
Edit no. 1:
Final edit:
Total working time to get to the final edit: 12 minutes.
Another piece of work:
Everything except the shuttle if made out 100% in photoshop.
Working time: 32 minutes.

I hope this will help you out.
satyamy
jay84h wrote:
Which would be a good photo editing software? I have heard of Adobe PhotoShop, however I have never used that. I have however used Corel Paint Shop Pro. If any others are available, please list them. Thanks!

The Best is Adobe Photoshop
noting is much easier & desirable like Adobe Photoshop
their are many you can google to find out them
But I'll suggest you to go for Adobe Photoshop 9.0
You can get a Trial Version of it from www.adobe.com
Aimewitue
the best are photoshop of course but cost so much money
paint shop pro is a good alternative oo,not expensive (100$) compared to photoshop
the gimp is free but i don't like it,it don't have selective coloring (the most useful option on photoshop for me)
shnuffy
srujanlive wrote:
Adobe photoshop and GIMP are the best ones i have used.

A fellow Linux user!

Photoshop is pretty much the industry standard for digital image manipulation... and although it has the potential to be fairly complex, with minimal knowledge you can do some neat thing to photos.

My dad is a photographer at a major Canadian newspaper and they've been using Photoshop (on Mac's mind you Wink) since I can remember, at least the mid 90's, and probably earlier.

It is expensive though... there's no denying that. But personal users can get Photoshop Elements which has everything a personal user would ever need, at a fraction of the cost. PS is where it's at.
DarcSystems
Ha, I haven't used GIMP or Linux since the release of Redhat 8 I think. Then again, I don't do a ton of graphic work now anyway, so photoshop CS2 suits my needs for now.
ganesh
If you know the intricate details of image processing steps (As in, know what they do, like:

(1) What is sharpening?

(2) What is luma correction?

(3) What is resolution changing? etc. etc.),

then, I would like to suggest the using of ImageMagick. It can be downloaded for free from www.imagemagick.org ; It is open source and the licensing is compatible with the GPL. Read the user manuals!

Best thing about this tool is that once you install it, you can use command line to manipulate images. Do batch processing, embed it in master scripts and so on! The possibilities are endless Smile
southy
If you can't spend $600 on a piece of software (Photoshop) go for GIMP, it's nearly as powerful, but free. Then there's like Paint Shop Pro... etc.
cvkien
photoshop is good but need skills. if you need a software that automatic create photo effect for you, you may try ulead photoimpact. it is good for photo editing, with great effect templates. but less handwork than photoshop. but if you prefer work it on your hand, then try photoshop.
LostOverThere
I personally would go for the Gimp. Its free, open source and well, fantastic!
waway
can i interrupt? what is gimp? where can i get that? im using photoshop since cs2... i want to try gimp...
rekluzz
Heres another vote for The Gimp.
xbcd
cheap software= gimp - Paint shop pro - adobe photoshop 7 (old one is faster and better since not bloated imo)
budazz
photoshop for me is the best photo editing software..... and GIMP is the other free and it has almost the same tools in photoshop
heridlia
The Best Graphic Editing Software :

Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Commercial.
GIMP for Free/Open Source.

That's my experience.
LostOverThere
waway wrote:
can i interrupt? what is gimp? where can i get that? im using photoshop since cs2... i want to try gimp...

http://gimp.org

Go there, download the Windows version and chances are you'll be free of Photoshop. Wink
lethaltriad
I use Adobe Photoshop 99.99% of the times and sometimes I would use Paint Shop Pro. I've been hearing alot about Gimp also around on the forums.. its worth a try.
tefa_taftaf2010
photoshop is the best 4ever ( i'm sure of that)

but i can say that there's many programes too ( sure not like photo shop) but it's good and can make many things and easy to use

i use ulead photo express 6 it's so good
Mathew Elric
I found Paint Shop Pro 8 to be alot easier than Adobe Photoshop. Confused
budazz
ive used the adobe photoshop for a long time and i think it is the best photo editor ive ever used
kudumbamkalakkal
Adobe photoshop is really good
dbhai
I use Photoplus from sherif. it is good too.
dbhai
I use Photoplus from sherif. it is good too.
ennnzo
Adobe Photoshop is the best but I use Corel Paint Shop Pro XI. It's also good and has everything I need.

You may also wanna try GIMP {http://gimp.org/} which is dubbed as free Photoshop because of the similar interface but it has a few cons in it. I found something that is based from GIMP and is better and very near to Photoshop. I saw it in SourceForge but I forgot the URL. Embarassed
internetjobs
is any other software have more tools than adobe photoshop?