FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet=Life

reddishblue
Hello Frihost,
I was wondering today, does anyone have any stories of knowing someone on the internet and in real life, at the same time, without knowing it, for example, I could be your best friend and at the same time you may know me here on Frihost, but you don't know that me, your best buddy is reddishblue as well, I hope I am making myself clear here.

Granted the only way you could know this is...well...if you know it already, but you maybe didn't always know, I myself have not have had any experience like this, that I know of anyway...

Please note this means knowing someone in real life and the internet at the same time, not something like meeting someone on the internet and then meeting them in real life, it must be AT THE SAME TIME.

So feel free to reveal your interesting tales, of you or anyone you know and I sure hope everyone understands what this confusing topic is about.

Happy Tale-Telling!

Reddish Blue
justnewbie
What if you're chatting online in a computer cafe or computer lab or some sort? Maybe you don't even know you're chatting to the person sitting next to you. That would be interesting to hear, heh.
SlideR.nl
We had a commercial on television about this. A boy was chatting/webcam with a girl and they go a little further and suddenly the boy sees that the girl is his sister.

It was a commercial, I thought, about how safe internet was.
Seiji
There was also big news about some guy chatting online with a girl and fell in love with her. When they went to meet he found out it was his mother Laughing That had to be the worst situation anyone has ever been in.
silverdown
Seiji wrote:
There was also big news about some guy chatting online with a girl and fell in love with her. When they went to meet he found out it was his mother Laughing That had to be the worst situation anyone has ever been in.

That is so wrong, on like 150 levels of life!
ctrlTR
When I was on vacation at last year.One night I was so bored and had gone to internet cafe.A beautiful girl whose name is Ece was chatting on msn.

I had seen her msn nick name while passing from her near to sit to a free pc.I added her msn id to my friend list,and she had immediately accepted me and we had started to chat Very Happy We have chatted about 30-40 mins. with my exactly kind feelings until she asked my residence.

I had truely explained her my location and she had so surprised when she learned it Shocked then when she learned that we are in same place,she was nearly fainting Very Happy anyway we had met and I had explained that getting her msn ID before chat.

She had just laughed loudly so all people had looked us Very Happy

I still chat on msn with her , but we live in different cities.I might see her this season on vacation.I hope so ...! I missed her Crying or Very sad (Don't wrong, She is just my normal friend,not girlfriend.Even my girlfriend is knowing about her and want to meet her Wink)
Idoru
Well, hm, it's a bit un-ethic, and I'm sure noone will belive the classic 'I have a friend...'
Anyhow, it's true, belive it or not. To the tale:

A few years ago we where a few friends who joined up in a community. One of
us used it to try to pick up girls, while the others of us thought that a bit funny.
Anyhow, two of my friends put up a fake identity of a girl and started to pull a prank
flirting with him. He swallowed it completlly, and feelings of guilt quieted the laughter
of my friends. They simply closed the account and spoke of it no more. Yet today
he doesn't know, but then again, I hardly think he put's much thought in it either.
scotty
Idoru wrote:
Well, hm, it's a bit un-ethic, and I'm sure noone will belive the classic 'I have a friend...'
Anyhow, it's true, belive it or not. To the tale:

A few years ago we where a few friends who joined up in a community. One of
us used it to try to pick up girls, while the others of us thought that a bit funny.
Anyhow, two of my friends put up a fake identity of a girl and started to pull a prank
flirting with him. He swallowed it completlly, and feelings of guilt quieted the laughter
of my friends. They simply closed the account and spoke of it no more. Yet today
he doesn't know, but then again, I hardly think he put's much thought in it either.

Hahahahah I love that, that's a classic. Moral of the story don't use the internet to try and pickup.

I have one experience which is kind of what you describe. I was a member of a gaming forum which ran some CS servers a few years ago and I used to have these massive arguments with this one dude on there. We had huge flame wars and things but then we somehow established we went to the same school. My school was rather big and he was in the year level 2 above me which was kind of funny and it was strange talking to him in real life and no we didn't have a fight or anything over our internet arguments lol.
Aless
What is this, You've Got Mail?

There's probably a billion people in the world with the internet, so the odds of finding someone you know offline and online to be the same person are pretty slim. Still, it'd pretty cool Smile.
reddishblue
Aless wrote:
What is this, You've Got Mail?

There's probably a billion people in the world with the internet, so the odds of finding someone you know offline and online to be the same person are pretty slim. Still, it'd pretty cool Smile.

More like 5.5 Billion Wink
JBotAlan
I've only done that once; I had an odd name on my AIM buddy list that I swear I didn't put there, then after about 3 IMs I got it. Robotics does strange stuff to you.

Then again, I'm not online enough to raise my chances.
crimson_aria
Seiji wrote:

I read about that news~ haha!! the danger of Internet life. xD

I haven't had any experience of meeting any friend in real life on the Internet for the second time. It's always, meeting them online first.

The closest I had was when I sent a PM in a forum to a fellow fan of a Japanese band. We talked and then after a while, she gave me the email address of her friend who also is a fan. When I saw the email, I was shocked and laughed cause, the email of her friend is the same email address of my friend. Turns out we both know the person.
hofodomo01
it's pretty cool when something like that happens Smile

i've never actually met somebody over the internet and got to know them in real life...who knows, maybe i'll bump into some of those people one day...
erlendhg
No, it has not happend to me. Not yet Razz
But it would be kind of fun if it did Smile
guissmo
Yes.
He was a classmate of mine long time ago.
We were both playing a certain RPG.
And then our usernames chatted, and there you have it.

Also,
I also had another friend from that RPG.
We chatted. And before I even knew it,
He became one of my students while I was teaching Math.
aggzzu
SlideR.nl wrote:
We had a commercial on television about this. A boy was chatting/webcam with a girl and they go a little further and suddenly the boy sees that the girl is his sister.

I saw this in youtube. Cool one. Smile I wouldn't like that to happen to me. Very Happy
darrenpaul
I found out a few months ago, someone that works for me on a website, lives around 10 mins away. Kind cool, never met him though Smile
windrei
actually i dont understand what the topic means... he wrote in so complicated way..... does he mean you have a friend in real life and that friend is also your friend on net ?? if yes, then i have... and many....
reddishblue
windrei wrote:
actually i dont understand what the topic means... he wrote in so complicated way..... does he mean you have a friend in real life and that friend is also your friend on net ?? if yes, then i have... and many....

I mean that, but you didn't always know they were the same person, re-read the first post Wink
cybernie
There was a time back in 2000 while i was chatting on IRC, I came to chat with a fellow nicknamed MrHackMan. I just got curious with him nickname. our conversation was good and a lot funny... I myself wondered because it seemed I have known him for so long already. We've been chatmates for almost a year. We just knew each other by our IRC names, never have we mentioned to its other our real names. Summer in 2001, we had our highschool class reunion. I saw my bestfried whom I haven't seen since we graduated highschool. We talked alot about what we have been doing after graduation and the new adventures we had on our first year in college. He mentioned he's been enjoying chatting in school and he's got new friends from other places and even met some of them. I told him I am into chatting too. I asked him what name he use in IRC. He told he is MrHackMan. Only at that time we knew, that we are chatmates - knowing each other only through IRC names, not knowing that we've known each other for a very long time and has been with each other through thicks and thins.
catscratches
Not personaly, but someone I know chatted with a person for some years, not knowing that they lived in the same block. And even knew some of each other's best friends.
skygaia
These days online game is very popolar in my country. There are a lot of people enjoying online games. And there are some cable TVs(just not TV programs, cable tv companies) of only online games.
Many people enjoiying online games tend to join some communities which members have shared infomations of theri favorite games.
and some online games are like real society. there were a leader and levels. their communities act like a nation or race. Sometimes people were confused between real world and online game. it's getting serious in my country.
theem
SlideR.nl wrote:

hahahah yeah i have seen that commercial too...

Laughing
mjohnson
Surfing occupied all my spare time,chatting,posting,playing,I know those are worthy for nothing,but I have nothing to do exclude......
apple
I met this guy in a chat room. So we eventually started chatting on IM and got along quite well.

So yesterday, we're chatting and he makes a comment about a teacher he had and I realized it's my uncle. I told him and we continued chatting and then he said he was gonna visit a friend and called the area in which I live.
I asked for the friends name and it turned out to be my next door neighbor!!!

It was really a strange thing, meeting someone online and knowing them for real. Rolling Eyes
raine dragon
No, that hasn't really ever happened to me before, but I have run into people I know from other online places in a new place. That in and of its self is sorta odd.
The World is Yours
Not exactly like that, but i met someone that was a good friend of, a good friend of mine. We met online about some programming subject then we met in real life at "our" friends house and didn't find out for another two weeks that the other was the same person online!!! Shocked Laughing Shocked
hofodomo01
Eh, the only time that I know somebody on both the internet and in real life is like, on facebook or something....
Azmo
happend a couple of times.. doing this public chat thingy.. start to talk to someone from your city. after a wile u get to the "exchange msn thingy" and u realise you alrdy got that person on your list and that it's a school m8 or something..

but it's kinda rare tho..
unknownc1c
lol i've never had that happen but i think about it a little bit. Especially when the person says they live in the same city, then i start wondering if i know them. I think i'd be a little wierd if that happened. I'm normally a very different person online than i am irl so for someone to know me irl after getting to know me through the internet would be a big shock for the person.

I personally wouldn't like to meet someone online only to find out they're someone i already know, but that's just me.
Vrythramax
shutup ashley... let's argue in channel like we always do Smile

Moist kisses Smile