FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So who's for REAL ID

madturnip
I am sure a lot of you know what REAL ID is. It's the new federal ID that is being ratified by many states to be your Drivers License and main source of ID. The question is ..... Do you want to take this ID?

I will provide more links, for those not aware of what it is, to broaden the topic if some interest is given. I would just like to see the opinions of some of the folks out there who do know what REAL ID is.
toughtrio
The "Real ID" ideology is really not needed anymore. I don't think so that with another method of identification of a person, it would really help in cutting down crime or for whatever purpose they are implementing, or even thinking of implementing it.

I don't think so that the REAL ID would be implemented where I live within 10 years of some other nation opting for it and making it globally usable.

Nothing of such a big scale change can be put up without giving strategic reasons and other advantages of the case. Let them follow, and we will see what and how they turn up to be... Maybe my opinion would change...

Warm Regards,
justnewbie
If you meant Real ID for Identification Number of some sort, my country has it, it is the identification number that all of us ought to have as citizen. Though I'm not so sure about its purpose, but I think it helps in registration and crime solving.
SlideR.nl
Real ID is that something in the USA, because I've never heard about it here in The Netherlands Cool
Vrythramax
If it is ratified we won't really have a choice but to accept it....just another way of "Big Brother" keeping an eye on us and out activities. Sad
vinx_18
I have heard it here in our country after of so many terrorists attacks. But it is called as "National ID" and cost much of Billions. The main reason and purpose of which is to monitor and identify whose legal person in the country. But as of now, they are still debating on it. Smile
Yantaal
im not really up for it, in england there is much talk of brigning them in and:

1) its going to costs us hundreds i think, or a hundred, something with double zeroes/

2) what is itr actually helping

3) spying bastards, apparently it will have something like 30 buts of information about your person including DNA. outrageous, though i dont give a shit about the DNA thing its jjust they have no right to have it on records,
ocalhoun
Yantaal wrote:
30 buts of information

I'm afraid I need a bit of translation for that one.

As for the ID, what's the big difference? From what I can tell, it's just an ID that serves as a driver's license, instead of a driver's license that serves as an ID...
mOrpheuS
ocalhoun wrote:
Yantaal wrote:
30 buts of information

I'm afraid I need a bit of translation for that one.

I'm fairly certain "bits" was the intended word here. Smile

On the topic ... I have to agree with the general view here.

ID's don't help in preventing crimes in any real way.
Unless ofcourse, they're planning to make compulsory secret tracking and incapacitating implants to go with this ID ... Wink
a.Bird
Personally, I see the implementation mainly as another chain around our ankles. I understand the importance of national security but this seems more like government security. The extra information on the IDs may indeed be to further identify the card holder with DNA and such but I don't want to become nothing more than a piece of data in the government's computer and this real ID just seems like another step towards such a fate.
Idoru
I'm not really sure of how that works in the States. Myself, I am from Sweden,
and we've used a number tied to our persons for quite some time. I suppose it
has it's benefits, since we live in an era of information and bureocracy. In my youth
I thought it revolting to be minimized to a number, but now-a-days I don't care to
much. I belive that you get used to it and stop question as much, but still, ofcourse
it has a ring of 'big brother-mentalitie'. Actually, I'm surprised that there isn't such
a thing in the States, since, as mentioned, the country in many other areas take
a vantage point in the 'war against terrorism'. I guess it's another small piece of
personal freedom on the brink to be sold out for the great of the collective,
but I do not belive there's much to it, exept easier to work with. There will be something
else when we start discussing microchips in each person and such. Wink
apple
I just had to do a google search to find out what Real ID is.

It has been my expectation for many years now, that something like this would be implemented. Seeing that everything has become digitized, it was expected really. I don't agree with it because I have my own beliefs as to what this type of technology ushers in. But it's the next step in having a one world global economy. Which has been an undercover plan for many years now.
In years to come (maybe not that many), I believe this type of card/technology will become mandatory.

Presently in my country, Trinidad and Tobago, our government in in the process of giving the entire nation digital birth certificates and a passport with technology somewhat like the one used for Real ID.
Davidgr1200
ID cards usually mean more problems for the ordinary person and can often make life easier for the criminal. Once the criminal gets a fake or stolen ID card then he/she can much more easily access things (like bank accounts etc) which only someone else should have access to.
IDs are being used much more these days compared to say twenty years ago, but has crime and terrorism decreased because of this?
Vrythramax
Davidgr1200 wrote:
ID cards usually mean more problems for the ordinary person and can often make life easier for the criminal. Once the criminal gets a fake or stolen ID card then he/she can much more easily access things (like bank accounts etc) which only someone else should have access to.
IDs are being used much more these days compared to say twenty years ago, but has crime and terrorism decreased because of this?

If I am not mistaken to access bank accounts and such, a personalized PIN number would still have to be used. I am not crazy about the idea of the ID card, but I don't think it would be much different than if a criminal got ahold of your ATM card.
coolclay
The Real ID act is the worst invasion of privacy, and threat to individual freedom ever invisioned. Not only that but the act provides no funding whatsoever. This program will likely cost each state hundreds of millions of dollars, and it puts that burden directly on the state governments. Luckily in the state of Maine they have passed an act refuting the Real ID program. Similar anti-real ID acts are currently going through many states including Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming. More info on that can be found here http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070125-112709-8980r.htm. I know I for one will refuse to get one, even if it means I have to give up my right to fly on airlines (not that I do anyway). I truly believe if this is implemented as planned it may lead to another civil war within the US. But its only a matter of time so we'll see how it plays out.
R2.DETARD
I agree with coolclay. Its like the science experiment with the frog and the boiling water.
If you put a frog into room temperature water and heat it up, the frog doesn't realise the change in temperature until it is dead (if you call that realising...). But if you put it straight into boiling water, it realises and jumps out of the way.
Its the same with our (the world's) rights. right now the temperature is hotting up and we are being like frogs...

Even pre- 9/11 it was hard enough to do anything fun (make fireworks/model rockets is my thing) and you had to cheat the system in order to do any of those things. But with "real"ID's and all that, soon enough we will all be sitting alone in white rooms bouncing a little green ball off the wall, our only freedom left is the right to choose what shade of green the ball is...
Duncan Idaho
Next thing I know it I'll have a tube shoved up my ass for ROWFJing, because there won't be any more P$T(PW*JEFP(FJ (W)$T*J-08wring toilets. And I'll have to prop open my pants too. Crying or Very sad As for me, I don't care that much, as long as there won't be these 'bots *cough people cough* everywhere monitoring me.
riv_
Well, I'd rather not give the government give any more of my righs than they've got already.
But i don't really see that it makes much difference. Do we really believe that they don't have inormation on us anyways? When you get pulled over and they call in your drivers license, how much info do you think they have?
otiscom
If you have nothing to hide whay's the problem?
coolclay
Because everyone has something to hide. Unless you're telling me you've never broken the law before or done something that is unorthodox, or unaccepted.
silvermesh
coolclay wrote:
Because everyone has something to hide. Unless you're telling me you've never broken the law before or done something that is unorthodox, or unaccepted.

nope, sorry, not everyone thinks that societies rules are just there to oppress angsty teens. If you seriously think a system like this would help them "dig up dirt" to prosecute you, you don't even understand the first thing about the legal system.
a realID makes it harder for someone to steal your identity, thats the point. it doesn't track where you are, it doesn't tell the government what kind of shampoo you use. It doesn't have a builtin phone that pages the police whenever you exceed the speed limit. It makes it so that someone that isn't you can't go online with your identity, run around buying things with your credit card and spamming forums with your account info(okay so it might not help so much with that last one).
The point is, identity theft is RAMPANT in todays world, and there are those who wish to try to put a stop to it.

Do I think the REAL ID is going to end all problems with identity theft? no. do I think it would make an impact? definitely. it makes it much harder a crime to commit.
et-configs
Yah no point to it really..
Duncan Idaho
otiscom wrote:
If you have nothing to hide whay's the problem?

Because if someone were to find a way to hack into the system, they could track people down. And I agree with coolclay partially.
Duncan Idaho
silvermesh wrote:
coolclay wrote:

nope, sorry, not everyone thinks that societies rules are just there to oppress angsty teens. If you seriously think a system like this would help them "dig up dirt" to prosecute you, you don't even understand the first thing about the legal system.
a realID makes it harder for someone to steal your identity, thats the point. it doesn't track where you are, it doesn't tell the government what kind of shampoo you use. It doesn't have a builtin phone that pages the police whenever you exceed the speed limit. It makes it so that someone that isn't you can't go online with your identity, run around buying things with your credit card and spamming forums with your account info(okay so it might not help so much with that last one).
The point is, identity theft is RAMPANT in todays world, and there are those who wish to try to put a stop to it.

Do I think the REAL ID is going to end all problems with identity theft? no. do I think it would make an impact? definitely. it makes it much harder a crime to commit.
Well, it wouldn't be hard to get around that... Wink ... and if someone did manage to steal your identity for all practical purposes they would have a jolly ol' time watching the repo' man.
R2.DETARD
it may make the crime easier to commit... its like a big detail sandwich ripe for the eating, everything you could possibly want to steal someone's identity right there in front of you.
If anything it will change the type of identity theft that occurs,
less large scale small amount theft,
more individual type life savings and maxed out credit score.
darrenpaul
We have something like that here, but its called Garda ID
ehecatl
What is this "REAL ID"? It would kinda suck for WI if it was approved whatever it is because we just got new ID's not that long ago...