FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Vista for Free and 100% Legal





ThePolemistis
If your uni is part of Microsoft Student alliance, then u can get Microsoft Vista Business edition for free, along iwth a host of other programs such as Access 2007, Visio Pro 2007 and much much more....


100% legal too Razz

jus thought ill share this gr8 news to every1 Smile
turbowolf
I can't find any reason why I need to use vista. XP is fine for me. I will never upgrade my Operating System to vista. Currently I am trying to adapt to modern linux system like Unbuntu.
qscomputing
You say that but the unfortunate fact is that when you buy your next computer in a few years time it will almost certainly come with Vista preloaded. Of course, there are ways to get around this but they are not that easy.
Q5U8
There are Microsoft Volume Licensing Kits (VLKs) for people that has a small business, so that decreases a lot the price of the licences.

But I prefer to stick to XP for a while, let's say, for one or two Vista special patches (Vista SP1 / Vista SP2), because I don't want to be field lab of Microsoft Laughing

Thanks for the info, ThePolemistis Very Happy
WickedGravity
qscomputing wrote:
You say that but the unfortunate fact is that when you buy your next computer in a few years time it will almost certainly come with Vista preloaded. Of course, there are ways to get around this but they are not that easy.


How is it had to get around?

You insert the Ubuntu 7.04 LiveCD and load it onto your PC, bypassing everything MS has put on their, from the LiveCD you do a format to Ext3 partitions and load the system. Restart the computer and, voilà, you have Ubuntu without ever having seen Vista and the works of the Evil Empire.
budazz
vista is not applicable at this point......it will disregard those people who has low specs. ........ and besides vista is still not a perfect O.S i think
kiranaghor
Vista seems to be overpriced. And it lacks compatibility with so many applications . People buy frustrations with it.
Although graphics and gadgets and awsome but I already got a mac so its nothing new. Plus I have to buy additional RAM to use Aero features. Its all too much.
shenyl
This is precisely how MS conquer the OS world. It always starts with the academic bodies, and then it affects the home (can one operate on 2 different OS in home and academic?), then documents become incompatible between new MS OS and the older MS OS, and people starts to say "upgrade to the latest MS OS".

The academic bodies has been the promotional arm of MS, and the students becomes part of that wave.

But I do hope to see that XP is able to slow down the tide, as it is stable enough not to demand many to upgrade.

Bad news is that - "I don't know how" - that XP OS weaknesses will be exposed to hackers and virus creators, and then a pull out of the plug for XP support will be implemented, and then the masses will be left with a huge and immediate need to upgrade. Hopefully by then your old PC is due for upgrade and even the slower new PC will be powerful enough to support Vista.

That is how I see the progress in the next one year for XP, Vista, MS and the hardware vendors.

Hope you enjoy this possible movement and are prepared for it.
k_s_baskar
ThePolemistis wrote:
If your uni is part of Microsoft Student alliance, then u can get Microsoft Vista Business edition for free, along iwth a host of other programs such as Access 2007, Visio Pro 2007 and much much more....


100% legal too Razz

jus thought ill share this gr8 news to every1 Smile


Cool tips. But i not going move 2 vista now. bcoz vista needs lots of diskspace n ram comparing to xp. And also i don't think vista will work perfectly computer i having 1ghz processor + 256 ram n 80 gb hdd with 20gb of free space.

and finally bcoz of its price?! its very high.
carlospro7
qscomputing wrote:
You say that but the unfortunate fact is that when you buy your next computer in a few years time it will almost certainly come with Vista preloaded. Of course, there are ways to get around this but they are not that easy.


Hard??? not at all. I will never buy an already built computer from a store again. I'll just build my own computer, and at the same time I'll save my self some money. I'll install XP and Gentoo linux with dual boot. The best part is that I get a computer that fit my wants and needs, and it is not hard at all to do.
bongoman
What ticks me off about Vista is that it comes in so many 'Grades' I mean there are 7 different flavors of it, before Vista there was simply Home and Professional. The one that you're talking about that comes through Universities is the Business or Corporate edition, and thats mostly stripped of the fancy software.
KHO
turbowolf wrote:
I can't find any reason why I need to use vista. XP is fine for me. I will never upgrade my Operating System to vista. Currently I am trying to adapt to modern linux system like Unbuntu.

I made that switch, I use Debian with the KDE desktop (gnome isn't so great). I played with Vista for a few days, and decided it's the WORST thing in the PC world atm, and I would NEVER use it. I upgraded to Debian and have never looked back. I love my new linux box =]
xbcd
yeah i won't upgrade till i get a new pc. Plus all i use windows for is games. Now that i am comfortable with linux. I will continue to use it. I move to linux 2 weeks after vista launched. I have yet to regret it. Only thing i miss is iTunes. But i'll live.
ThePolemistis
KHO wrote:
turbowolf wrote:
I can't find any reason why I need to use vista. XP is fine for me. I will never upgrade my Operating System to vista. Currently I am trying to adapt to modern linux system like Unbuntu.

I made that switch, I use Debian with the KDE desktop (gnome isn't so great). I played with Vista for a few days, and decided it's the WORST thing in the PC world atm, and I would NEVER use it. I upgraded to Debian and have never looked back. I love my new linux box =]


I have installed a few Linux operating systems, notably ubuntu and Mandriva. Both are nice. But i hate a few things about ubuntu, the first being is that it moved slightly away from debian and so not all debian packages are compatiable with ubuntu. For no0bs to Linux like me, its a pain installing stuff.

For instance, I spent ages trying to install Opera for ubuntu 5.10 and in the end, I failed. However, installing it for Mandriva was easy and fully working.

However, it doesnt seem to me that i will be making a permanent switch just yet or even in the near furture to any Linux OS.
My main criticism of Linux is the way it organises files with all them folders like, usr, ext, var etc etc. Why not use proper names like program files, documents and settings, ??

Anyways,, Windows is stable so long as you don't do something stupid. Like when I accidently clicked on a virus folder (the .exe extension virus), even though I knew it was a virus but I was too lazy to clean it on my other computer. And so on the computer without the virus scanner, it infected it, and was unbootable. Had to use Bart PE to solve the issue. Fantastic software.
Srs2388
Thanks for the tip... I would upgrade to vista if i had better specs.
ThePolemistis
Srs2388 wrote:
Thanks for the tip... I would upgrade to vista if i had better specs.


To be honest,, there is little need to upgrade. Win XP can play games much better than vista.
BlueVD
IMHO the older the better... This applies to MS's Windows versions.
Look at it this way: how many times did 95 crash per day? Some would say a lot, but for people using simple software the answer is never... How about 98??? The same... With the ME line things got worse... And it continued to XP.
The only one that is stable enough is Win2K...
Bones
bongoman wrote:
What ticks me off about Vista is that it comes in so many 'Grades' I mean there are 7 different flavors of it, before Vista there was simply Home and Professional.

I don't understand why that would tick anyone off? More grades of Vista means more choice for the consumer. It also means that if you can't afford Ultimate, then you can get Home Premium or even Home Basic if you are really cheap.

kiranaghor wrote:

Vista seems to be overpriced.

Vista Home Premium is probably the one that most people will want, and right now, it's only $40 more than XP home is still selling for. I hardly think that's over priced.
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012497&cid=SW.815
(XP Home on the same site is selling for $109.99). Remember too that these are Canadian prices, and should be slightly lower in the US
Arnie
To be honest $40 seems a lot to me.

Anyway, I'm glad I can get Windows 2000 licenses for 25 euros a piece. Why bother for XP or Vista then Wink
Bones
Arnie wrote:
To be honest $40 seems a lot to me.

Anyway, I'm glad I can get Windows 2000 licenses for 25 euros a piece. Why bother for XP or Vista then Wink


To pay $40 more more an OS that is brand new and has more features, over an OS that is 5 years old now? That seems like a lot? $150 for an OS is nothing when you consider that it runs your entire PC. People will pay more than that just to play WoW for a year (to play WoW for a year here costs in the neighbourhood of $240, yet people complain about paying $150 for an OS?)

Hey I love Win2k, my point is just that Vista is not over priced in my opinion. At least not when compared to the prices of prevous versions of Windows 3 months after release. I'm also not saying that people SHOULD upgrade. There is no reason to upgrade if you don't need/want to.
orcaz
Vista doesn't seem to be much of a demand in today's context, bcoz they didn't really introduce any revolutionary functions inside vista which XP doesn't haf. But aft two or three yrs, vista would be dominating, as many software would slowly drop support for older OSes.
akshar
As what i have been told by many of my friends ,Vista dose not gives expected performance.It lacs in its capabilities.I see less demand for it in the market.Though i am comfortable with Win XP i have decided to switch to ubuntu professional which is graded best nowdays by many guys.
bongoman
Quote:
I don't understand why that would tick anyone off? More grades of Vista means more choice for the consumer. It also means that if you can't afford Ultimate, then you can get Home Premium or even Home Basic if you are really cheap.


I am sorry but the capitalist argument doesn't fly this time. Have you even tested out the different versions for yourself? What the adverts don't tell you is that each grade is much more crippled then the next, Home Basic is practically Windows XP with different packaging! My point is when you had Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home edition most people couldn't tell the difference because both had the same functionality minus a few trivial features which would only matter if you required some special setup, indeed after Service Pack 2 the startup screen on both editions didn't even make a distinction between Home and Pro.

As for the link you provided that's for an OEM copy of Windows which in many stores is only sold with a PC, most people buy the retail copy. The OEM copy also excludes some of the benefits of a Retail copy such as better tech support and transferring a license from one PC to another
orcaz
IMO, if you really wish to upgrade to Vista, Home Basic shouldn't be a choice at all, as it is just a big scam by microsoft. I see no point upgrading to that, as I feel that the interface of Home Basic looks even worse than XP. One of the main features of Vista is Aero, which is only included in Home Premium & above. if you can't afford it, then continue with Windows XP.
Bones wrote:

Vista Home Premium is probably the one that most people will want, and right now, it's only $40 more than XP home is still selling for. I hardly think that's over priced.

Though the software alone may only cost $40 more, you should factor in the costs of upgrading your hardware too, unless your computer is relatively new...
ssthanapati
well wanted 2 try vista once... but our univ dosent provide it
LostOverThere
Old may be good, but there is a time where you need to let go. Windows 98 is nearly 10 years old, and most new software doesn't support it any more.
Arnie
You'd be surprised.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Though the software alone may only cost $40 more, you should factor in the costs of upgrading your hardware too, unless your computer is relatively new...

... and also factor in that under vista, to run the same games with the same performance, you need better hardware. Vista eats resources. True fact.
bongoman
In all likelihood it will catch on but then again it might not, Microsoft is already working on a replacement to Vista that is planning on release between 2009-2011. It could very well end up being a footnote in Microsoft's history like Windows 2000 or Windows ME (although arguably more people use the former o/s than the later" Vista was put out of the door out of necessity its been more than 6 years since microsoft's last release so there's bound to be some experimental period before its fully been tweaked.
Arnie
Windows 2000 a footnote in history? You've got to be kidding. It's still being used by many until today. My school had it as well until recently (now XP). Windows ME on the other hand indeed was not so succesful; it was just 98 with some added fancy features that made the OS a lot less stable.
satyamy
ThePolemistis wrote:
If your uni is part of Microsoft Student alliance, then u can get Microsoft Vista Business edition for free, along iwth a host of other programs such as Access 2007, Visio Pro 2007 and much much more....


100% legal too Razz

jus thought ill share this gr8 news to every1 Smile

Well Vista is a very big boring thing & Just a Simple Resource Hungry Operation System
If you need the Best Use Only Windows XP
Vista Will take 2-3 year to be familiar with the market
ezekiel_rage
WickedGravity wrote:
qscomputing wrote:
You say that but the unfortunate fact is that when you buy your next computer in a few years time it will almost certainly come with Vista preloaded. Of course, there are ways to get around this but they are not that easy.


How is it had to get around?

You insert the Ubuntu 7.04 LiveCD and load it onto your PC, bypassing everything MS has put on their, from the LiveCD you do a format to Ext3 partitions and load the system. Restart the computer and, voilà, you have Ubuntu without ever having seen Vista and the works of the Evil Empire.


Yes, you could do that.

But you still HAVE to PAY for VISTA.

What WickedGravity meant was, when you buy a new BRANDED computer, it will be preloaded with VISTA and the cost of VISTA is part of price you have to pay for the new machine.

By "getting around" it means buying a machine with no preloaded OS, just the hardware. Which is really preffereble.

I would not want something to be shoved to me. I always want to have a choice.

FREEDOM!!!

Arnie wrote:
Windows 2000 a footnote in history? You've got to be kidding. It's still being used by many until today. My school had it as well until recently (now XP). Windows ME on the other hand indeed was not so succesful; it was just 98 with some added fancy features that made the OS a lot less stable.


I agree, Windows 2000 is the most stable OS Microsoft ever released (well as compared to the other windows versions)

Vista just another WindowsME. A fluke.

Bones wrote:
Arnie wrote:
To be honest $40 seems a lot to me.

Anyway, I'm glad I can get Windows 2000 licenses for 25 euros a piece. Why bother for XP or Vista then Wink


To pay $40 more more an OS that is brand new and has more features, over an OS that is 5 years old now? That seems like a lot? $150 for an OS is nothing when you consider that it runs your entire PC. People will pay more than that just to play WoW for a year (to play WoW for a year here costs in the neighbourhood of $240, yet people complain about paying $150 for an OS?)

Hey I love Win2k, my point is just that Vista is not over priced in my opinion. At least not when compared to the prices of prevous versions of Windows 3 months after release. I'm also not saying that people SHOULD upgrade. There is no reason to upgrade if you don't need/want to.




People pay for WoW because they WANT to, because they feel they get their money's worth when palying WoW.

Its a different story with Windows,

People HAVE to pay for it. A lot of people feels that they don't get their money's worth when using windows.

And Why shell out a considerable amount of money for something that is not very innovative, except for the eye candy.

Yes, you have to shell out a considerable amount to use and feel the Vista experience.

Because most, if not all currnet computers of average users will not be able to run the full Vista experience.

Therefore they have to buy newer parts if not replace their current machines just for what? AERO?

Common!!!


FREEDOM!!
Arnie
ezekiel_rage: a comment on your freedom speech. People aren't forced to buy a computer with Windows. They also have the choice to buy a computer without preloaded OS (or even build their own machine) and install whatever OS they want. It's also possible to buy a computer with Linux preinstalled. So it's really up to the users what they buy. It's not correct to state that Microsoft is forcing people to buy Windows.
satyamy
ezekiel_rage wrote:
Arnie wrote:
Windows 2000 a footnote in history? You've got to be kidding. It's still being used by many until today. My school had it as well until recently (now XP). Windows ME on the other hand indeed was not so succesful; it was just 98 with some added fancy features that made the OS a lot less stable.


I agree, Windows 2000 is the most stable OS Microsoft ever released (well as compared to the other windows versions)

Vista just another WindowsME. A fluke.


me too agreed with this

i have tried vista but it was just a waste of time
reddishblue
Arnie wrote:
ezekiel_rage: a comment on your freedom speech. People aren't forced to buy a computer with Windows. They also have the choice to buy a computer without preloaded OS (or even build their own machine) and install whatever OS they want. It's also possible to buy a computer with Linux preinstalled. So it's really up to the users what they buy. It's not correct to state that Microsoft is forcing people to buy Windows.

I am glad to see someone else who has my view.
People, most who buy Windows without any thought of other OS' 'cept for maybe Mac, are better off having Windows.
Its the most compatible OS, and although I use it, I don't have to, I have Mandriva, Kubuntu and Ubuntu right next to me, on disks, but I prefer Windows.
Don't tell me I'm oppressed because I don't share your opinion.
Utsav
Well, how many of us is a member of MS Student alliance.

I am not a member of MS Student alliance, and not much people here, will be. I guess.
bongoman
windows 2000 may still be a very good operating system but it still stands that it was pretty much abandoned by microsoft's marketing team after xp came out, and they lost alot of focus afterwards. At any rate I think my real point was lost in that I was comparing Vista to Windows ME which was a total blunder on Microsoft, which was supposed to replace 98 but in the end Microsoft actually was forced to extend support for 98 and yet they abandoned support for ME much more quickly.
Med365
ThePolemistis wrote:
If your uni is part of Microsoft Student alliance, then u can get Microsoft Vista Business edition for free, along iwth a host of other programs such as Access 2007, Visio Pro 2007 and much much more....


100% legal too Razz

jus thought ill share this gr8 news to every1 Smile


Hi guys ! But be warned ! It is not a standart Windows license that allow you to transfer it to a new PC one time or other permissions : It is an MSDNAA license, those licenses are given to university that are part of Microsoft Student Alliance to be given to the students.

And you will have to download the OS, no box or cd man Very Happy

So read carefully the license agreement and you'll see that those kind of licenses, even if they are free, 100% legal and gives acces to a fully functionnal not limited windows, are more restrictive than a standart windows license or worst : than an OEM license.

But it's good enought to get a free Vista Business Razz
ThePolemistis
Med365 wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:
If your uni is part of Microsoft Student alliance, then u can get Microsoft Vista Business edition for free, along iwth a host of other programs such as Access 2007, Visio Pro 2007 and much much more....


100% legal too Razz

jus thought ill share this gr8 news to every1 Smile


Hi guys ! But be warned ! It is not a standart Windows license that allow you to transfer it to a new PC one time or other permissions : It is an MSDNAA license, those licenses are given to university that are part of Microsoft Student Alliance to be given to the students.

And you will have to download the OS, no box or cd man Very Happy

So read carefully the license agreement and you'll see that those kind of licenses, even if they are free, 100% legal and gives acces to a fully functionnal not limited windows, are more restrictive than a standart windows license or worst : than an OEM license.

But it's good enought to get a free Vista Business Razz



true true... the license may be restrictive, like you cannot produce commercial programs and not eligible for updates if u no longer working in that institution...

but then again... its free... and from Microsoft,, free is a rare word.

havign said that,,, im addicted to ubuntu 7.04... its mighty fast,,, especially netbeans and java.. much faster than windows. I think Sun purposely made java slower on windows Razz
But apart from that,, its speed is same as windows.. like opening windows and stuff.. Hate having to enter the root password a lot too. Doesnt crash as much though, as in no need to close programs.
leafpad as a replacement for notepad does it job great Smile
Med365
bongoman wrote:
windows 2000 may still be a very good operating system but it still stands that it was pretty much abandoned by microsoft's marketing team after xp came out, and they lost alot of focus afterwards. At any rate I think my real point was lost in that I was comparing Vista to Windows ME which was a total blunder on Microsoft, which was supposed to replace 98 but in the end Microsoft actually was forced to extend support for 98 and yet they abandoned support for ME much more quickly.


Windows 2000 is a very good OS. XP is based on it.

I think Windows XP is as stable as Windows 2000 but with more features. My XP never crashed at home except to times with a blue screen but it was beacause of an unstable program and my XP fully recovered at reboot and didn't crash again Very Happy
Peterssidan
I think I can get Vista becouse I'm student. I got my current XP from there. I think it's time for me to take the step to the GNU/Linux world. There is so much bad about Vista! Take a look at http://badvista.org/ and you will see.

I will use XP for a while but when it time to upgrade I will upgrade to some GNU/Linux dist.
MeddlingMonk
Although I'm a university student and could get Vista and Office 2007 quite cheaply, I am reluctant to upgrade at the moment. I think it would be best to wait at least a year or two; by then, Microsoft should have fixed all the major bugs in Vista and Office 2007. Also, I may update my computer in a few years time, so I might get Vista then.

Currently, my university is still running XP - I don't see them upgrading soon, though some PCs have Office 2007 now.
emad4u
In all likelihood it will catch on but then again it might not, Microsoft is already working on a replacement to Vista that is planning on release between 2009-2011. It could very well end up being a footnote in Microsoft's history like Windows 2000 or Windows ME (although arguably more people use the former o/s than the later" Vista was put out of the door out of necessity its been more than 6 years since microsoft's last release so there's bound to be some experimental period before its fully been tweaked
lol thas lie
Studio Madcrow
Vista was ill-though out and poorly done, but it will eventually catch on because M$ will ensure that it gets installed on just about every new computer that comes out and, no matter how easy it gets to install Linux or some other superior opeerating system that might come along, people are just plain to lazy to install a new OS.
Med365
There's not only the installation, there's what comes after, so a new OS to use, so the need of learning how to use it comes and OS like GNU/Linux are not the easest for a beginner.
Because the majority of people who use a computer are not very good users so it's dificult for them.

I tryed my self Linux and I didn't manage to learn how to use it because I didn't had time, will try again soon...
bongoman
I actually like the office 2007, the vista team could stand to pick up a thing or two from the office programmers my one complaint is that they don't give you the option to switch back to the old looking interface, but it is actually an improvement.
Med365
I don't like the new office interface, too much stuff, not clear...
OS Master
Vista requires a lot of hardware power to run, and I would rather stay with XP until I get a laptop with Vista pre-installed.
Med365
I have a Vista Capable laptop but I don't want to change to Vista for the moment, I think I'll wait for Vista to have it's major corrections (just like XP and his service packs).
suntzu3500
turbowolf wrote:
I can't find any reason why I need to use vista. XP is fine for me. I will never upgrade my Operating System to vista. Currently I am trying to adapt to modern linux system like Unbuntu.


I have vista currently. It's not that much of an improvement over XP.
THE11thROCK™
Quote:
This is precisely how MS conquer the OS world. It always starts with the academic bodies, and then it affects the home (can one operate on 2 different OS in home and academic?), then documents become incompatible between new MS OS and the older MS OS, and people starts to say "upgrade to the latest MS OS".

The academic bodies has been the promotional arm of MS, and the students becomes part of that wave.

But I do hope to see that XP is able to slow down the tide, as it is stable enough not to demand many to upgrade.

Bad news is that - "I don't know how" - that XP OS weaknesses will be exposed to hackers and virus creators, and then a pull out of the plug for XP support will be implemented, and then the masses will be left with a huge and immediate need to upgrade. Hopefully by then your old PC is due for upgrade and even the slower new PC will be powerful enough to support Vista.

That is how I see the progress in the next one year for XP, Vista, MS and the hardware vendors.

Hope you enjoy this possible movement and are prepared for it.


Precisely. Microsoft the happy monopolist. Good thing Vista was too sloppy to be a major OS upgrade. Too many licenses to think about when you are dealing with MS, specially the new Vista.

I'll stick with XP only for the sole reason:Games, and Ubuntu for all other OS chores. Better yet, if you have the $$$, go for Mac and boot camp.
bulek
I also own student license for Microsoft Vista Business edition but it will probably have to wait because it don't plan to install Windows Vista in near future Smile
Related topics
Download IPB 2.0.4
free games aviable for download. (sites)
Windows Vista Official Thread
Removing a .tk ste Banner
Music that has no rhythhm or melody at all
Invision Board Again...
What Media Player Do You Use?
Please
Invision Free
Your Large Collections (I'm talking HUGE)
What's the best OS for my PC?
Free Antivirus Program?
A few bands I like that put their music up for free
Free 100% .com, .org, .net domain
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.