FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

Soulfire
I am approaching 2/3 of the way through the book -- I really like it so far. I want to hear peoples' input on this book, but please no spoilers at all.

I will be writing an 8-12 page literary analysis after I'm finished, and I have until the end of May to complete the book + paper!

So far, the best thing I can think of is that Capote creates immense dramatic irony. He switches between the Clutter family and Dick and Perry so frequently that the reader is able to see the progression of the murderers as the family is carrying on with their normal lives. It gives the reader a sense of helplessness and allows the reader to deeply sympathize with the Clutter family. The sheer brutality of the murders furthers the reader's sympathy.
linangan
Until recently I knew very little about Truman Capote. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I had him mingled together with Al Capone! I know, what should not expose such ignorance, but it does make your eyes bulge a bit and bring a smile, doesn't it? Anyway, I recently saw the he was the author of 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' and I thought that was a bit incongruous. A book titled 'In Cold Blood' fits a little better with my mixed up mindset.

I read In Cold Blood weeks ago and still remember the sick feeling; it remains one of the scariest books I've ever read. That Capote wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's and Other Voices, Other Rooms and In Cold Blood is difficult to comprehend. Some people say Capote wrote To Kill a Mockingbird. Whether or not that is true, Dill's character is modeled on Capote who did, indeed, play with Harper Lee when visiting his aunt.
Patriot Players
Read this book as an independent reading project. It was absolutely excellent. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind getting some gruesome murder details. The psychological implications of the book are excellent.
Drawingguy
There were no real 'gruesome murder details,' just an account of how the murder happened. As far as I know, there was nothing really, really graphic. If you can stand the idea of blood-stained sheets, then you're good to go.

Other than that, I found the book to be interesting. It was intriguing to watch the criminals develop into a kind of protagonist- the tragic hero- so to speak. However, as much as it is billed as almost-completely 100% nonfiction, I find that the characterization of one of the criminals, Perry, to be a little unrealistic.