FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Once and Future King, TH White

TurtleShell
this book is probably one of the best I've ever read--I've read it over and over again. Just wanted to know if there were any other fans out there, and if so, what you thought of it...
johanfh
Liked it, it's humoristic. But the book of Merlin, the last part, is not that great: it's mostly a re-telling of the first book and it's much to politically influenced.
But the general idea, especially Merlin travelling back through time, is nice. If you like this book and you're Dutch you should absolutely read 'Het zwevende schaakbord' from the writer Louis Couperus.

JohanFH
Masacchi
This is definitely one of my favorite books, although I have a lot of difficulty getting through it because I know the ending of the story. T_T My favorite characters from King Arthur have always been Gawain and Galahad, so.. I didn't exactly like Gawain's treatment in the novel, but oh well. Lancelot was the one raised and Gawain lowered by the guy who wrote The Death of King Arthur, so.. x_X;
Crazy_Canuck
I'm quite embarassed to say I've not read this. But the reference to Merlin travelling back in time made me think of Mark Twain's classic "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court." Wow, that's a phenomenally good read.

Is it at all similar?
Afaceinthematrix
The book is good, and I liked all the political references in it. However, some parts were a little too slow and had too much detail for my liking. It was still good, though.
TurtleShell
I haven't read a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court--you'd think I would have, given my soft spot for all things arthurian, but my love of Mark Twain is altogether different from my love of Camelot and I don't feel like they should be mixed. Similarly, I would not put chicken on waffles.

But judging by Twain's typical writing style, I have to imagine that they're very different books. The Once and Future King is beautiful. It's just a beautiful book. It's so lovely I almost cry. It's a masterpiece.

Not that Twain doesn't write beautiful books, but he was all about the common man (and the satire), and the Once and Future King has...grandeur. It's epic. And it's simultaniously polite (I mean, TH White was british, afterall), and Mark Twain didn't really like polite.

It's funny and serious and philosophical and the characters are so human. And it's so sad at the end. It's so...tragic.

Listen to me. I'm going on like a teenager. I'm such a sucker for this book. Really, I'm a sucker for arthurian legend. I love Merlin and Guenevier and King Pellinor and the whole gang. And I've read the Crystal Cave series and some others too.

If I had to spend my life on a deserted island and could only bring 3 books with me, that would be one of them. In fact, if I had to spend my life on a deserted island and could only bring one book with me, that might be it. In that case, I'd have to give it more thought.
ddukki
From what I can tell, this book sounds pretty interesting. Anything having to do with King Arthur, though, I look at suspiciously. So many parodies and spin offs have been done, that it's hard to guess at the good ones. And even if they're good, they usually don't have anything new to bring to the scene.