FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New HDTV linked to Computer

johnsonap
OK, am looking for a new TV now, moved inot a new house couple of years ago, and got a standard 32" Philips TV. Now looking to upgrade, going for Flat Screen, HD Ready etc, but also i notice most now have PC Input included, which would certainly be something i would like, as i could then upgrade my PC and use it as a media centre with my TV. As anybody had any experience of this, and how does it run on your normal TV screen, is it worth the hassle or is a proper Monitor still the best option?
any advice would be much aprreciated on this?
psycosquirrel
I used a 32" LCD TV as my monitor, it works great.

Try to get a monitor with a resolution of 1900x1200 or 1920x1080, NOT 13xx x 768 or any nonstandard resolutions. I made that mistake and have to upscale (which makes text a bit blurry) or put up with black boxes on the left and right (also nonideal).

What is your price range? There is a 37" Olevia at Outpost for only $600 right now: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5060095?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Enjoy Very Happy
johnsonap
Live in the UK, so price range is going to be in the great British Pound, and don't really want to be spending much over 700.
Is 32" the smallest i want to be looking at really??
I actually work in IT, yet i as still dumfounded by how fast technology moves on
johnsonap
psycosquirrel wrote:
I used a 32" LCD TV as my monitor, it works great.

Try to get a monitor with a resolution of 1900x1200 or 1920x1080, NOT 13xx x 768 or any nonstandard resolutions. I made that mistake and have to upscale (which makes text a bit blurry) or put up with black boxes on the left and right (also nonideal).

What is your price range? There is a 37" Olevia at Outpost for only $600 right now: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5060095?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Enjoy Very Happy

By the way what make/model of TV do you own?
psycosquirrel
Emprex HD-3201: http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=78

I got it for $500 shipped, it was a pretty good deal.
johnsonap
Compatible with HDTV, available for 480p, 720p and 1080i HDTV video signals

Features
Various Audio/Video terminals for external equipment connection
. 1 set of composite A/V terminals
. 1 S-VIDEO terminal
. 1 set of component Video input terminals
. 1 VGA input terminal
. 3 sets of Audio input terminals

Digital Noise Reduction
This function can digitally reduce image noise to provide better picture quality.

Film-Mode Detection (3:2 Reverse Pull Down)
This function can automatically detect content derived from .lm and adjust the interlacer's frame matching to provide a more natural-looking, clearer image of the moving picture.

PIP Function
This function allows viewing of video from two different sources simultaneously.

Looks pretty nifty that, so when it says PC Input what connection is it refering too? as my current TV has S-Video etc, but am assuming with P input i can connect it as a monitor using some type of direct connection?
psycosquirrel
It is VGA. I would highly recommend going with a higher quality panel, primarily to make sure it is reliable and for the higher resolution. Unfortunately, such panels are hard to find. Something like the Westinghouse LVM-37W3, with its resolution of 1920 x 1080 would be ideal. It has TWO DVI inputs and a VGA. You should be able to get one at Best Buy.
johnsonap
Cheers for the info - ended up going on holiday to tenerife for tow weeks instead...now have to save again for the TV, are well alls fair in love and war and saving for things beats getting inot debt (so my mother told me)
ForceRun
Yes got highend and the picture will be worth the money. I just got my 22in Sceptre moniter, it does 1920 by 1080, just not very well off my 7900 GT. I would have like to save up for a 24in, thats the best deal as far as high ressaltion and graphical quality, but you have to have a wicked sweet graphics card to run it at that high.
tmorrell1
would you guys recommend a plasma or lcd for a combined view on HDTV and computer programs? I'm an audio buff not visual!!!
johnsonap
Didn't even consider Plasma, isn't plasma a blast in the past, or are people still prefering this to LCD?