FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


TOS changes - comments





Bondings
Comment about the TOS changes of this announcement.
Loghete
Yay, good you changed that thing about MP3's as I suggested Very Happy
DeFwh
TOS wrote:
As a user you agree to any information and data you have provided/entered being stored in our database and grant us an unrestricted and perpetual right to use, change and display it in any medium and for any purpose.


Does this include files we put on our free hosting?

TOS wrote:
MP3 and other music files are forbidden on our servers. Some exceptions might be made for self-made music hosted in one directory together with a legal.txt file explaining that the music files are completely legal. A written permission from an administrator is necessary prior to uploading the files. Remixes aren't considered as self-made music.


So inorder to host any kind of music including a 3 - 10 sec loop we have to administrator permission?

I can probably answer that one on my own but rather get it out of the way. Also doesn't C) Hosting Rules #4 cover copyrighted music or is this to prevent people from making databases of their own music online?
ninjakannon
TOS C:16 wrote:
MP3 and other music files are forbidden on our servers. Some exceptions might be made for self-made music hosted in one directory together with a legal.txt file explaining that the music files are completely legal. A written permission from an administrator is necessary prior to uploading the files. Remixes aren't considered as self-made music.

This change is very useful for those like me who intend to have self-made music to load into Flash games or perhaps those who want do distribute their own creations (etcetera).
However, there is nothing explaining how to ask for permission; I believe you need to post on the Request an Account Change forum but I expect admins (especially you Bondings) will receive lots of PMs requesting permission. All that is required, I think, is one sentence: "Request permission by posting/asking in the Request an Account Change forum". Or something very similar.

TOS D:1 wrote:
This website collects data about all visitors, including ip address, browser version and operating system.

I can understand why you collect our IP addresses, but why also record our browser versions and operating systems? I suppose what I'm asking is: is this necessary?
Bondings
DeFwh wrote:
TOS wrote:
As a user you agree to any information and data you have provided/entered being stored in our database and grant us an unrestricted and perpetual right to use, change and display it in any medium and for any purpose.


Does this include files we put on our free hosting?

No, not the files/database on your hosting account. I'll try to rephrase it a bit.

I meant all the posts and avatars on this forum. The same for pictures uploaded to the gallery that I plan to make.

For 3-10 sec music loops you should better get a music permission, but if it is a small midi file it's not that important.

About the copyright thing, if you own the copyright then of course it is allowed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to upload any files (almost everything you make is automatically copyrighted to you). I meant the things that are copyrighted by someone else and you don't have a permission to host them.
Bondings
ninjakannon wrote:
TOS C:16 wrote:
MP3 and other music files are forbidden on our servers. Some exceptions might be made for self-made music hosted in one directory together with a legal.txt file explaining that the music files are completely legal. A written permission from an administrator is necessary prior to uploading the files. Remixes aren't considered as self-made music.

This change is very useful for those like me who intend to have self-made music to load into Flash games or perhaps those who want do distribute their own creations (etcetera).
However, there is nothing explaining how to ask for permission; I believe you need to post on the Request an Account Change forum but I expect admins (especially you Bondings) will receive lots of PMs requesting permission. All that is required, I think, is one sentence: "Request permission by posting/asking in the Request an Account Change forum". Or something very similar.

TOS D:1 wrote:
This website collects data about all visitors, including ip address, browser version and operating system.

I can understand why you collect our IP addresses, but why also record our browser versions and operating systems? I suppose what I'm asking is: is this necessary?

I added the text about the request an account change forum. Good idea. No link as that forum isn't visible to guests, though.

About the statistics, I use Awstats and Google Analytics. Both record a lot of information, including operating system, screen size and browser version. (it's not tied to the users, just global statistics)

We also record the browser string on the forums, for each session. This is very useful for bot recognition, checking for duplicate accounts or 2 different/same people on 1 ip address. (not that those things are happening frequently)
Hunterseaker
It is a good thing that you added the privacy thing, the members now know what they can expect....
Tho what attracted my attention was this:
Quote:

As a user you agree to any information and data you have provided to our website, being stored in our database and grant us an unrestricted and perpetual right to use, change and display it in any medium and for any purpose.

It is no problem for me, tho why you even want to use data in other media?
For promotion? I know you have the right to use the data unrestricted, tho it would be nice when you notified the users from who you're gonna use data.....
Not that I have problems with the rule, tho I was just wondering why should ever need it(except from statistics).....
Bondings
Hunterseaker wrote:
It is a good thing that you added the privacy thing, the members now know what they can expect....
Tho what attracted my attention was this:
Quote:

As a user you agree to any information and data you have provided to our website, being stored in our database and grant us an unrestricted and perpetual right to use, change and display it in any medium and for any purpose.

It is no problem for me, tho why you even want to use data in other media?
For promotion? I know you have the right to use the data unrestricted, tho it would be nice when you notified the users from who you're gonna use data.....
Not that I have problems with the rule, tho I was just wondering why should ever need it(except from statistics).....

It's just to make sure that every possible use is covered. The other media would be something like deciding to use the 100 best topics on Frihost and publish them in a book. Or to take the best quotes and use them for a t-shirt. (not that I intend to do that) Most websites with user-submitted content have similar privacy policies (eg reddit).
ninjakannon
Bondings wrote:
I added the text about the request an account change forum. Good idea. No link as that forum isn't visible to guests, though.

Ahh good, I'm sure that will make it easier for many users - I had to ask a while back, although I haven't actually got around to creating my mp3 files yet. Razz

Bondings wrote:
About the statistics, I use Awstats and Google Analytics. Both record a lot of information, including operating system, screen size and browser version. (it's not tied to the users, just global statistics)

We also record the browser string on the forums, for each session. This is very useful for bot recognition, checking for duplicate accounts or 2 different/same people on 1 ip address. (not that those things are happening frequently)

Oh I see, not having them myself I hadn't realised that Awstats and Google Analytics collected information like that. That's fine, especially as it isn't tied to the users.

I can see a need for recording both browser strings and IP addresses, that's definitely a good idea.

Thanks for accepting my proposal, one thing I love about FriHost is that the members have quite a large say in what goes on, and suggestions are always welcome.
Bondings

The guests have more pageviews and have a way higher IE % than Frihost users.
Blaster
The TOS looks good bondings. It was a much need addition to the forum. Thanks for the update Very Happy
Manofgames
i understand that your trying to protect frihost legally, but you would warn / ask users if they wanted (for example) their username used for premotional testimonials or one of their posts being used as your slogan wouldnt you?
achowles
I think that the part regarding what files and information you can use needs further clarification. Right now that could potentially include things like the email addresses we register with along with other info that we choose to keep hidden.

Effectively saying that you can do what you like with this information is going a bit far to cover yourself.

So, could you clarify that a bit further please?
qscomputing
Is there any chance you can post diffs or similar so we can see what has changed?
madturnip
I completely agree with all the rules posted. It saves the service provider and it clarifies things that might arise by abusing the free hosting priviledge.

Also, I just wanted to say the speed of these servers are outstanding. I have also noticed the reliability and have never noticed downtime. Keep up the good work gentlemen.
Daniel15
qscomputing wrote:
Is there any chance you can post diffs or similar so we can see what has changed?


The old TOS is viewable from http://web.archive.org/web/20060518143639/http://www.frihost.com/tos.php

A diff isn't really appropriate, as quite a large portion of it has changed.
qscomputing
OK well then not a diff, but a list of the things that have changed from a practical point of view would be quite helpful ie:

The new TOS means that you have to agree to this, this, this and this that you didn't have to agree to before, but you no longer have to agree to this, this, this and this.
tidruG
qscomputing wrote:
OK well then not a diff, but a list of the things that have changed from a practical point of view would be quite helpful ie:

The new TOS means that you have to agree to this, this, this and this that you didn't have to agree to before, but you no longer have to agree to this, this, this and this.

You have to agree with what you see on the present TOS, period. Stop worrying about the old TOS. We updated them and put the new ones for a reason, and that reason is because you have to agree to this, this, this from the NEW TOS.

If there was anything you needed to agree to in the old TOS which you still have to agree to now, it's in the new TOS too.
Bondings
achowles wrote:
I think that the part regarding what files and information you can use needs further clarification. Right now that could potentially include things like the email addresses we register with along with other info that we choose to keep hidden.

Effectively saying that you can do what you like with this information is going a bit far to cover yourself.

So, could you clarify that a bit further please?

I did not mean personal information and other things you want to keep hidden, only what you publicly provide/post, like these posts, location field, avatars, pictures, ... Without a right to publish them, a forum wouldn't be possible. But I'll rephrase it a bit. Besides, it's already partly mentioned in D2.
TOS D2 wrote:
# Email address, name and potential other information is also collected during registration and optional subsequent forms. This information is stricly not shared with third-party websites or services. We however cannot be held responsible for any leaked or compromised data.

Manofgames wrote:
i understand that your trying to protect frihost legally, but you would warn / ask users if they wanted (for example) their username used for premotional testimonials or one of their posts being used as your slogan wouldnt you?

Yes I would, but I'm not planning to do anything similar so don't worry.
ChrisCh
Section D, point 5: should "intendify" be "identify"? Smile
tidruG
ChrisCh wrote:
Section D, point 5: should "intendify" be "identify"? Smile

Probably Razz
garionw
From the Contact Page:
Quote:

Advertise on Frihost: advertise@frihost.com


What does this mean
Bondings
garionw wrote:
From the Contact Page:
Quote:

Advertise on Frihost: advertise@frihost.com


What does this mean

It means an email address for people interested in purchasing advertising on Frihost.
Ghost Rider103
Loghete wrote:
Yay, good you changed that thing about MP3's as I suggested Very Happy

Yeah that was a good idea.

Great changes man, I like most of them.
garionw
Bondings wrote:

It means an email address for people interested in purchasing advertising on Frihost.


Interesting, I might have to send an email when my sites launched Think
tidruG
tidruG wrote:
ChrisCh wrote:
Section D, point 5: should "intendify" be "identify"? Smile

Probably Razz

Bondings, this typo still needs to be fixed.
LostOverThere
Wow, this is the first TOS where nothing bad has been added. Phew!

Oh and at what rates is it to advertise on the Frihost home page?
Bondings
About the advertising contact, that is rather for ad agencies and ad reps and not for small campaigns/budgets. Besides, I'm not really interested in it at the moment.

And yes, I'll be changing the typo, just give me some time. Wink
garionw
Bondings wrote:
About the advertising contact, that is rather for ad agencies and ad reps and not for small campaigns/budgets. Besides, I'm not really interested in it at the moment.

And yes, I'll be changing the typo, just give me some time. Wink


Oh, so its not a one off thing: I'll give you $50 to display my ad 100 times then forget about it
Bondings
I corrected the typo and changed the wording of section D4 (information/data).
TOS section D4 wrote:
As a user you agree to any information and data you have provided to our website, being stored in our database and grant us an unrestricted and perpetual right to use, change and display all non-private information and data (like posts, avatars and signatures) in any medium and for any purpose. (This of course does not include the files/content on the free hosting accounts we provide.)

I hope it's clear enough and acceptable now.

And besides, I updated the FAQ as some information was very outdated and inaccurate.
darrenpaul
The new TOS is very good Bondings. Its short, yet concise. Most people don't bother reading TOS due to the sheer length, by with the new Frihost TOS, theirs no excuse.

Well done!
snypez
I agree with the changes that were made by the staff towards the TOS. I actually read that stuff, that's the funny part. I've been hosting on many sites, and this is the best.
Blaster
Looks a lot better there bondings. A lot easier to read in my mind. Very Happy
silvermesh
simple and clean.
I don't foresee any real problems arising
Lessien
The TOS does look really good and it is def important that you cover yourself by posting those changes
but there is one thing i have some questions bout
(or i misread it)

Quote:
As a user you agree to any information and data you have provided to our website, being stored in our database and grant us an unrestricted and perpetual right to use, change and display it in any medium and for any purpose.


does that mean that if i or one of the members of my site (when it's finally up and running) makes a pic of his/her rpg character (=a pic he/she drew herself)
that you can just use it for something else?
to even put changes on it and all
without having to ask permission of the creator or?
cause if that is the case, that's not nice
most people don't like it when someone else starts to do things they didn't intend with something they made
Bondings
Lessien, I changed the paragraph in question as it wasn't clear enough. Your hosting account is definitely not included, the rule is about data like posts, signatures, avatars, profile information, ... from this forum/frihost.com website.
Quote:
# As a user you agree to any information and data you have provided to our website, being stored in our database and grant us an unrestricted and perpetual right to use, change and display all non-private information and data (like posts, avatars and signatures) in any medium and for any purpose. (This of course does not include the files/content on the free hosting accounts we provide.)
khunia
Just finished reading the TOS and there are a few spelling mistakes, now this being a legal document the spelling should be corrected, so if someone could get onto it that would be cool....cheers
Animal
khunia wrote:
Just finished reading the TOS and there are a few spelling mistakes, now this being a legal document the spelling should be corrected, so if someone could get onto it that would be cool....cheers

It would be particularly helpful if you could give us examples of the mistakes you found.
Related topics
TOS is currently down
Comments
mIRC for begginers.
How To Format Hard Drives
Términos del Servicio (TOS) de Frihost
Question abt lang. support...
Microsoft is upto it's dirty games again!
Different web hosts, same TOS
Installing, Partitioning & Formatting HDDs
TOS changes
Updated and seeking a round of comments
This months edition of Good News
Proposal to posters on this forum
Youtube allows disabling commenting of videos with agenda?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.