FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Could we put XP in USB Flash Disk?

heridlia
Could we put XP in USB Flash Disk? without harddrive.

Any tiny XP software run in USB Flash Disk?

It will be very useful for me.

I meant for maintenance purpose.

Thanks a lot.
qscomputing
Possibly, but probably not knowing Microsoft, and I don't know of any howtos for it.

Best bet for a portable OS is Knoppix or similar, though that's Linux which you may not want (but I can very much recommend!)
Q5U8
Try googling LiveXP, Windows Live, and BartPE stuff, you will find a lot of information about WinXP running from USB. Wink
sush
It is possible to run WinXP off a USB Drive (google for BartPE) but much harder installing it from a usbdisk.
otiscom
If you find one you will have to make sure the PC you wish to run it on can boot from USB (bios settings).
internetjobs
it is possible ... but it is very slow..
Arno v. Lumig
internetjobs wrote:

Wasn't USB 2.0 faster then CD/DVD reading?
billgertz
yes you can usb flash disks now comes with 32 Gb I guess so there is too much room for you files. but you can't use it for maintenance purposes. why? because the settings/hardware information you have on your PC might be different from the PC that you will be working with. and if it will boot, you will get a blue screen of death.
snicker
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
internetjobs wrote:

Wasn't USB 2.0 faster then CD/DVD reading?

I would say that USB 2.0 has higher throughput than CD/DVD, but it still has a slow setup time compared the good'n old hard drive... this is only an idea, though.

My 2 cents
Arno v. Lumig
billgertz wrote:
yes you can usb flash disks now comes with 32 Gb I guess so there is too much room for you files. but you can't use it for maintenance purposes. why? because the settings/hardware information you have on your PC might be different from the PC that you will be working with. and if it will boot, you will get a blue screen of death.

That's not true. On boot times Windows tries to detect and install new hardware. This is possible most of the times. The only problem you will face that your graphics card for example won't have the appropriate drivers and will be slower because of that. It won't BSoD.
windowsx.com
If there is storage space and your mainboard can read it you can run anything from solid state memory.
houssam_ballout
wel, I think that it could lead to some problems as with running it on Different Versions of BIOS and different Hardware, and its easily to get corrupted
evilryu530
yes it's possible, there is a version out there of xp that is meant for flash disk drives, i was goin to get it but i didnt want it, it's sweet, actually, u can boot up any computer with it....except macs, i hate macs.
daney
Sorry freind but at this moment, it s not possible. you have to wait may be Bill Gate will do it as soon as possible.

But for maintenance i think the real soft 4 Windows is ERD Commander.

It cost but very useful. it start windows even if ther is a problem with tha intalled os or your HDD.
You boot from the CD and you have you windows on the screen like the installed one.
JBotAlan
Google is your friend!

http://www.google.com/search?q=winxp+thumb+drive

At first, this seems like a fun idea, but after a little bit of thought, it starts to get really crappy really fast. Why? Here's a few reasons:

1. Video drivers - 99.9% of the time, Windows will slap a Microsoft Standard VGA adapter driver on your video card until you install the manufacturer-proprietary software to unlock your video acceleration, special control panel, even the possibility of going above 640x480 resolution hinges on this. If you work on one system, this might be OK once you get it right.
2. Low-level system drivers - Most people don't think about these, but look in Device Manager. Expand the System Devices section. See all those oddly named devices? Those make your system tick. Those were installed automatically when you installed XP on your system to begin with. Windows will take probably 30min, an XP disc, and 20 re-boots to figure all that out if moved.
3. Activation - Microsoft does not want you moving their OS around like this. Read your license agreement--what you propose is illegal (it's not like I give a crap, but they might...maybe). Their activation garbage will try to prevent this from working at all.
4. Speed - While USB 2.0 has an amazing throughput, flash drives do not. Only high-end expensive drives will make this even slightly bearable.
5. Space - Unless you want to lug around an external hard drive, you won't probably have enough space to do anything cool with this. Games won't fit (OK, maybe Minesweeper will, but come on, you aren't just doing this for Minesweeper, are you?)

You probably actually want to look into machine virtualization, like a VMware type thing (Google it and you'll see what I mean). This type of software will create a virtual computer within Windows; it will have uniform hardware and run the same wherever you go. It still isn't very useful for a cool factor though.

Another option is to play with Puppy Linux--that is, if you are trying to do this for maintenance purposes.[/url]