FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I find python is still not as popular as perl

liuxu
Actually, I think python is better than perl. But I nearly can't find a free web host site which supports python cgi. Many of them support perl cgi.

In my company, many test scripts and building scripts are written in Perl. I have to study perl instead of python. However, perl is too strange to study.

Who can tell me which script is better and why?
_jarl_
Take a look at http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonHosting or webhosts4free.com !
MrBlueSky
I'm not going to debate on which is better, though I prefer Perl.

But Python will never be as popular as Perl. Not because it is better but for historical reasons. The same goes for other languages like C and Cobol.
_jarl_
I think perl is more popular because of its large collection of libraries. I cant see any analogy comparing python - perl and c - cobol. Perl to Python is much more like C++ to Java.
MrBlueSky
_jarl_ wrote:
I think perl is more popular because of its large collection of libraries. I cant see any analogy comparing python - perl and c - cobol. Perl to Python is much more like C++ to Java.

The amount of libraries for Perl is indeed awesome.

As for C and Cobol: I meant these as examples of 2 languages which don't have any real advantages over modern languages, but will still be used extensively for a long time because of historical reasons. Because they once were the best choices in their target domain they've gained a large support.
deepak
liuxu wrote:
Actually, I think python is better than perl. But I nearly can't find a free web host site which supports python cgi. Many of them support perl cgi.

There are less python programmers. Secondly Python web framework just evolved and I am sure Django, TG, Pylone pulled many python developers to web development.
snicker
deepak wrote:

There are less python programmers. Secondly Python web framework just evolved and I am sure Django, TG, Pylone pulled many python developers to web development.

Indeed Python programmers are probably fewer than perl ones... but Python is currently heavily pushed by someone called Google Wink

And I prefer Python too (but it is a matter of taste, in any case).

My 2 cents
qscomputing
Personally, I prefer Perl.

Perl and Python each have their own philosophy about how a language should behave - and they are the complete opposite of each other: one example, Python says that there should be one and preferably only one good way to do something - whereas Perl says TIMTOWTDI (there is more than one way to do it, pronounced "Tim Toady").

If you're having problems understanding Perl, I recommend reading this:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl2/excerpt/ch01.html
It's the first chapter of the book Programming Perl, and it explains a lot of the ideas behind Perl and how things like sigils ($, @, %, etc) work.

HTH.