FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 7.04

pluto
I just noticed Ubuntu 6.10 has a update icon, allowing me to update to 7.04. If I update to 7.04 by clicking the update icon, is this any different than doing a fresh install of 7.04?

Thanks for your help.
{name here}
pluto wrote:
I just noticed Ubuntu 6.10 has a update icon, allowing me to update to 7.04. If I update to 7.04 by clicking the update icon, is this any different than doing a fresh install of 7.04?

Thanks for your help.

Well, it might save you time from downloading an entire CD and wiping out any trace of what was on your previous system AFAIK.
Arno v. Lumig
You won't need to reinstall applications etc... The upgrading does fail now and then, so don't forget to backup.
cvkien
i had tried ubuntu sometimes ago, but i had problems with the driver that i can't install my graphic card driver in it, then i switch back to windows. i guess my pc can run with it. my system was:

pentium D 3.0Ghz
1Gb ram
200 sata HDD
Gforce 7300 LE

i'm good in windows but want to try on linux but really it makes me so confused...
qscomputing
cvkien: What confuses you about Linux? We (well, most Linux users Smile ) are more than happy to help!
ezekiel_rage
pluto wrote:

Thanks for your help.

When Doing an upgrade its it always advisable IMHO, to download the CD/DVD iso and do a reinstall/update from them. You'll never what will happen during an upgrade via the internet.

Things like corrupted packages or packages that fails to install due to a network problem.

Personally, what I do is wipe my root artition and reinstall/clean install everything. I can do that easily since my /home is at another partition/Hard disk so I dont have to worry about backing up my data.

Hope this helps
pluto
Quote:
Personally, what I do is wipe my root partition and reinstall/clean install everything. I can do that easily since my /home is at another partition/Hard disk so I don't have to worry about backing up my data.

I too have my /home directory on a separate from root (/). If I understand your post correctly, I can install Ubuntu 7.04 to the root (/) partition, overwriting the current Ubuntu installing on the root partition, and non of the data on my /home directory will be lost or affected?

Thanks.
qscomputing
Exactly, that is the main point of having seperate home and root partitions. Although your mileage may vary (read: there is an outside chance that your data will get trashed nonetheless), so it pays to back up first.

The alternative is to put your home and root partitions on two seperate disks, and unplug the home disk when you come to reinstall. But I don't know of anyone who actually does that.
WickedGravity
I agree with qscomputing on this one. You absolutely have to have a seperate disk drive, CD, or flash backup of everything in your /home directory before you do an upgrade.

I have never had an issue with an Internet based upgrade, however it doesn't mean I don't make sure everything is battened down and ready before I proceed either.
yjwong
I would think that upgrading via the alternate install CD would be advisable. Installing via the CD while fetching even newer packages would greatly reduce the amount of packages needed for download and would actually save you time. Moreover, even if a network problem occurs, you can still continue with the upgrade via offline packages.
pluto
Thanks to everyone who posted a response. I decided to just download Ubuntu 7.04 and create an ISO CD, and do a fresh install from the new CD. I''m going to try and install Ubuntu 7.04, and preserve my current /home partition, but I'll back up the data on the /home partition just in case things do not go as planned.

Thanks again! Very Happy
djclue917
pluto wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Well, technically, there isn't any difference. That is, when the upgrade procedure goes well and fine. If something is broken, most probably that would be the cause of the difference.

If you're willing to reconfigure your whole system again, then just do a fresh install. However, for practicality's sake, just use the upgrade option since it will save you a lot of time of configuring a fresh installation.

You should take note, however, that some things might really get broken along the way and that you should always check to see if everything is going smoothly. Also, check for leftovers after the upgrade because they might cause some problems for you.
vandetta
Some Q here:

1. I opened the performance monitor, Saw that there's 142 process running. No wonder my notebook's battery dried very fast in Linux. Should be there safe process to kill, right? But anyone have any idea how to recognize which process? And how to make it permanently OFF?

2. I try to install my webcam driver and it become like this:

vandetta@MacBook:~$ sudo make install isight
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

What should I do?
quotebook
Did you read the readme for the webcam driver? Not everything works the same way - a lot of them will, but there are exceptions. The readme will usually have very explicit instructions on how to get it up and running.
And regarding the fresh install, I always advocate a fresh install - it's a pain to back things up, but it's kind of like a restart, writ large. Starting from a clean slate and rebuilding it like you want it is a lot better than upgrading your exisitng system that was cobbled together over time.
Erik23a86
I think it's better to do a clean install. I think if you just upgrade your OS, it will leave unwanted files and program in your computer. Also I don't think the dependencies will be resolved properly.
Btw. 2 weeks ago I installed Kubuntu 7 feisty, and it is running smoothly ever since Very Happy.
And it recognized my TV-card (Hauppauge pvr-150) and my webcam (logitech), and it's working properly.
mehulved
vandetta wrote:

2. I try to install my webcam driver and it become like this:

vandetta@MacBook:~$ sudo make install isight
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

What should I do?
Firstly, you will need gcc, make and such tools, if you haven't installed them already. Best will be to install build-essential
Type this in a terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

Then, another thing is you don't seem to have run configure and make before make install. Here's how it should go
Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install

Also read the README file in that folder for anything more that maybe required.
And it will be a better idea if you can rather get a deb package of the driver rather.
Or another way is to use checkinstall. I would rather recommend this over make install way, if the deb isn't already available.
OS Master
I upgraded from Dapper Drake to Edgy Eft without a problem. I did do a clean install to Feisty Fawn, however. Both of them work. I think a clean install, is more, well, cleaner than an upgrade.
billgertz
ezekiel_rage wrote:
pluto wrote:

Thanks for your help.

When Doing an upgrade its it always advisable IMHO, to download the CD/DVD iso and do a reinstall/update from them. You'll never what will happen during an upgrade via the internet.

Things like corrupted packages or packages that fails to install due to a network problem.

Personally, what I do is wipe my root artition and reinstall/clean install everything. I can do that easily since my /home is at another partition/Hard disk so I dont have to worry about backing up my data.

Hope this helps

this one is a very good suggestion. I will make a separate partition for my home next time. am just wating for ubuntu studio 64 bit and will wipe out my feisty. feisty is good though it requires more readings and trial hands on on your PC.