FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Halo 2 for Windows Vista

looseballs
Hey, anyone planning on getting Halo 2 for Windows Vista? Its fifty dollars here so I might wait a while...but eventually I will get it. I heard they have advancements or something kinda like battlefield 2, but I am not totally sure my source was reliable... And 23 maps, is that more than xbox even with the expansion pack? Also, can we fly phantom drop ships? Anyways, please tell me!!!
mattchun
My pc can not run a Vista system I think.
Agent ME
looseballs wrote:
Hey, anyone planning on getting Halo 2 for Windows Vista? Its fifty dollars here so I might wait a while...but eventually I will get it. I heard they have advancements or something kinda like battlefield 2, but I am not totally sure my source was reliable... And 23 maps, is that more than xbox even with the expansion pack? Also, can we fly phantom drop ships? Anyways, please tell me!!!

Advancements? No...

I think there are a few more maps.

And there's a map building set of tools included, so you can make your own maps, and download other peoples' maps and play them online. If the person who makes a map chooses to do so, they could put a pilot-able phantom - I think that'll happen quickly.
Osmodius
looseballs wrote:
Hey, anyone planning on getting Halo 2 for Windows Vista?

If I wanted to downgrade my operating system and then pay to play a mediocre game online...

I'd be playing World of Warcraft on a Mac.
Petee
I'm currently planning on getting Vista and Halo 2 this summer. I'm just debating whether to try to upgrade my current PC and install Vista or buy a new PC with Vista pre-loaded.
But yeah, definitely looking forward to Halo 2 on computer! Very Happy
spykE
Sucks that it will be a Vista only, because Vista doesn't run as smooth as Windows XP does concerning games. I have like 20% in frames loss on most games, such as World of Warcraft.

They need to optimize it better.
Jeff_vella_leone
in 1 year from now im getting a new pc running on pci-e because my current pc is on agp
allthough its a well up to date pc its not good enough to support dx10
(need more upgrade for it), im not upgrading it further now, decided to buy a whole new one well up to date too
and the reason for buying a new pc is mostly for crysis and halo 2 because im a real fan of halo series and was desparete when halo 2 got only for xbox Sad but now im happy that they put it on pc too
poly
If you like FPS games you will like Halo 2.
Jeff_vella_leone
poly wrote:
If you like FPS games you will like Halo 2.

I surly will like halo 2, halo 1 was special from other fps, maybe it was the way u kill the game experience was accelent, i hope halo 2 for pc is the same Smile
kfc79
i hope there's a mac version for halo 2.
currently i'm playing halo1 in intel mac. quite cool but the graphics is a little outdated.
however i'm amazed with the richness of content they can include in the game such old.
Jeff_vella_leone
kfc79 wrote:
currently i'm playing halo1 in intel mac. quite cool but the graphics is a little outdated.
however i'm amazed with the richness of content they can include in the game such old.

yep halo graphics were ammasing at their time but now of course they are outdated
most thing that impressed in halo was the game play i think , the ability of taking alien weapons to use against them and the ability to drive the indistuctable geep was cool
halo in its time did make a hit
Packfan104L4
If you already beat Halo 2 on the XBOX like I did, owning it on the comp is going to be useless, since Halo 3 will be out and 99% of the multiplayer will die anyway
looseballs
i hate vista....to much secrutiy but turnin it off makes it worthless.......i hope someone makes like a program that will run an vista enviroments on xp and allow us to run vista programs on the enviroment....
Agent ME
looseballs wrote:
i hate vista....to much secrutiy but turnin it off makes it worthless.......i hope someone makes like a program that will run an vista enviroments on xp and allow us to run vista programs on the enviroment....

Security is... bad? If you want less security, you could disable the security settings and go download a virus... Confused

kfc79 wrote:

Halo 2 is xbox/vista only - no mac version is coming. They aren't even making an xp version, so there's no way a mac version will ever appear.

The reasons it's on Vista are so it can use the new Games for Windows system and use Live Anywhere, to promote Vista, and take advantage of random optimizations.
Packfan104L4
Agent ME wrote:
looseballs wrote:

Security is... bad? If you want less security, you could disable the security settings and go download a virus... Confused

No it's the fact that Vista takes it upon itself to block any incoming and outgoing traffic that an online game makes as an intrusion of security, so it blocks the game. I'd say that the SECURITY is useless.
Klaw 2
looseballs wrote:

There are 2 new maps the first complete expansion had 9 and the game had around 12(?!?!) original maps so not really new maps that makes 13

You will not fly an phantom because it doesnt fir with gameplay.

and yes maybe ill get halo 2 for pc.

i found a list of maps on the XBOX:

Original
1. Beaver Creek
2. Headlong
3. Midship
4. Zanzibar
5. Colossus
6. Foundation
7. Ivory Tower
8. Burial Mounds
9. Acsesion
10. Coagulation
11. Lock Out
12. Warerworks

Old new ones
13. Turf
14. sanctuary
15. Relic
16. Elongnation
17. Terminal
18. Backwash
19. Warlock
20. Containment
21. Gemini

new new ones
22. Desolation
23. Tombstone
Packfan104L4
Accension is the best map EVER created
dkelite
looseballs wrote:

lol, reminds me about when I got this laptop, I said: " this issn't a windows vista, this is an antivirus pack"

well, i will get halo 2 for vista
Klaw 2
ah found it there will be 2 new maps for halo 2 vista:

Disrtrict
Level in New Mombassa

&

Uplift
Ancient Forerunner instalation.

Read more:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/halo2/

That makes 25 maps not 23, they should count better at microsoft.
Jeff_vella_leone
Packfan104L4 wrote:
Agent ME wrote:
looseballs wrote:

No it's the fact that Vista takes it upon itself to block any incoming and outgoing traffic that an online game makes as an intrusion of security, so it blocks the game. I'd say that the SECURITY is useless.

personally i think that vista aint blocking any incoming and outgoing trafic upon games
lot of study was done to create vista and make it better than xp
on xp if windows firewall is on u cant play neighter
the best way is to get a good firewall and switch of the windows one
and if u want to be more safe get a hacker blocker too if ur pc handles them running at the same time like mine does
but i have to warn you antivirus and hacker blocker take up much ram from the system
Packfan104L4
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
Packfan104L4 wrote:
Agent ME wrote:
looseballs wrote:

personally i think that vista aint blocking any incoming and outgoing trafic upon games
and if u want to be more safe get a hacker blocker too if ur pc handles them running at the same time like mine does
but i have to warn you antivirus and hacker blocker take up much ram from the system

So does Vista. Takes up at least 2x more RAM than XP actually. That's why you have to have a jacked up comp to run it. Besides the fact that there are TONS of compatibility issues.
spykE
I'd say run it through VMWare if that will work. It's coming on 22 of May if I'm correct.
Jeff_vella_leone
Packfan104L4 wrote:
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
Packfan104L4 wrote:
Agent ME wrote:
looseballs wrote:

So does Vista. Takes up at least 2x more RAM than XP actually. That's why you have to have a jacked up comp to run it. Besides the fact that there are TONS of compatibility issues.

yea your right vista takes much ram and cpu
and its true there are tones of compatibility issues
like my TV card aint working on vista
lots of old things are not compatible
the new nero works ok though because it was made for vista

btw i was playen halo 2
well its not that bad
i like it
jtayl153
Vista is kinda annoying, need a password to do anything

but it's worth it

Games run on vista

halo 2 runs great.

U can download a program that makes vista use less ram and cpu, no idea where but you can do it

google it
Jeff_vella_leone
jtayl153 wrote:
Vista is kinda annoying, need a password to do anything

but it's worth it

Games run on vista

halo 2 runs great.

U can download a program that makes vista use less ram and cpu, no idea where but you can do it

google it

hmm didn't know about this
interesting
but i fear that it reduces much of performance and graphics in games
and i want to run a game at its max
considering how much i spent for my ne wpc

but its good post, i didnt know about this thing
amysanders
dam marketing techniques at microsoft they could of easily of released halo 3 for Xp but no there stupid nasty people forceing us to buy either vista or a 360 and well... im buying neither of them. im sticking with yee ol reliable Xp
st-games
HALO 2 for PC is very bad, I do not understand, how Microsoft can after 4-5 years of HALO 2 on XBOX, sell on PC same game.

but multi player is really fun, there is no question about it
Johntheviper
Is it right that there is a Patch for playing Halo 2 on WinXP?? This would be really nice. Does somebody know more about that?
Agent ME
If you google around I'm pretty sure you can find one, but - it might not work for you, and I don't believe online play works correctly with it.
ddukki
Seems that Bungie and Microsoft waited a pretty long time before putting this out. I expected this to come out for PC at least before Halo 3 came out for xbox 360. I don't know about getting it, but I kind of consider it obsolete.
Agent ME
It did come out on PC before Halo3 came out. Razz