FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

controling sleep

grain
well I have some problems waking up in the morning and sleeping at night.

waking up in the morning is always hard.
but I have so much trouble waking up.. I have to change my alarm every now and then because I get immune to it.
and when I manage to wake up I just turn it off and start to sleep again... sometimes I even manage to turn it off without waking up.

I have to find a way to motivate me or force me out of bed and off to school.... cuz its starting to affect my future :\

can you wake up just fine in the morning?

-how do you do to force\motivate yourselves out of bed in the morning?
even when you have a bad night of sleep, or have difficulties starting to sleep?
cvkien
2 years ago before i went in to University life, yes, i can control my sleeping time. everyday i'll wake up at 5.30 am, then prepared everything to go to 7am class. but then after i enter University, lecture hour was totally different everyday, so that makes my sleeping time totally different everyday. and so, it become so hard for me to wakeup in the morning. UNLESS i has something to do which is very important to me. otherwise, i'll change my alarm 3 to 4 times, each times 10 minutes.
tijn01
If you don't have the motivation to get up in the morning then you are not enjoying life....
Start enjoying it and force yourself out of bed before 8am everyday so you sleep solidly at night.
slasonic
Hi, you might find useful something called Huna. Esp. "ha breathing". To do this right before you go to bed and when you wake up is best.
Breath in through your nose into your abdomen, then breath out slowly,whispering "haaaaaa".

The out breath should be twice as long as the in breath.

Do this for your mid lungs and upper lungs.

You can even try to tell yourself to keep breathing into the abdomen throughout the night.

You might find that this encourages you to stay sleeping on your back, which is the more relaxed position.

This exercise does something to the brain and mind, as well as the body. you may yawn, too.

Tad James is the teacher who taught me this ancient hawaii'n technique.
driftingfe3s
Make a schedule for yourself for what time you want to go to bed. Then one hour before that time you should do something relaxing to prepair your body to go to sleep, because if you're all hyped up still, it will take a long time to sleep. So try reading a book or watching television for 30 mins or so. Then for 20 mins try doing some light breathing exercisis and some light stretches or some meditation. Hopefully at this point your body will be prepaired for sleep and will come easily.

As for waking up, set up something really loud and put it FAR AWAY from your bed. Set up multiple alarms and set them 2-3 minutes apart and place them in diffrent locations around your room. This way you'll have to get up multiple times and move to diffrent locations and prevent you from turning off the alam and not even knowing you did it.
slasonic
Its pretty cool how people have found different sleep inducers.
Personally, I've never had a problem going to sleep (knock on wood), but there are definitely different qualities of sleep.

The suggestion of light meditation is a very good one. Just to give my personal experience: I may be tired when I start meditating, but I stay with it until I feel more awake and energized. Then it is a good to lay down, maintaining the meditation, and maybe doing some breathing. Sleeping will never be the same. You will wake up so refreshed.

I would love to hear what everybody thinks about sleep. There is so much out there, especially in different cultures. I've heard that the best way to come out of depression is to think of three positive things that happened during the day right before falling asleep. Maybe worth a shot.

The worst thing to do is to fret over not sleeping, just accept it as reality and make the best out of it. Stress is what causes tired mornings, whether or not one has fallen asleep is not as important.
benjmd
grain wrote:
well I have some problems waking up in the morning and sleeping at night.

waking up in the morning is always hard.
but I have so much trouble waking up.. I have to change my alarm every now and then because I get immune to it.
and when I manage to wake up I just turn it off and start to sleep again... sometimes I even manage to turn it off without waking up.

I have to find a way to motivate me or force me out of bed and off to school.... cuz its starting to affect my future :\

can you wake up just fine in the morning?

-how do you do to force\motivate yourselves out of bed in the morning?
even when you have a bad night of sleep, or have difficulties starting to sleep?

Sleep hygiene 101:

1. Try to sleep the same hours every day
2. Use the bed only for sleep and sex
3. Avoid exercising or consuming caffeine or large meals for at least an hour (if not two) before trying to go to sleep
4. Turn off your mind by doing something relaxing for the 5-15 minutes before you want to go to sleep.

The challenges:

Can't fall asleep? Try sleep hygiene. Find good meditation music, etc.

Can't stay asleep? Are you worrying too much? Is there something waking you up? Snoring (breathing problems)? There's probably another problem causing this.

Can't wake up? Probably a result of the first two parts above. Or it could be that you aren't giving yourself enough time to sleep (7-8 hrs a night).

Finally, it is important to consider that sleep problems can be related to emotional issues, like depression. Depression can cause increased sleep or decreased sleep. If you've noticed that you have lost interest in things you usually like or just don't feel much of an appetite anymore or don't have any energy in addition to a depressed mood, it might be worth going and talking to your family doctor about it. If you're in school, there are counselors that can help you decide if you should head over to see your doctor.
Azmo
ok, now we know nothing about you.. but some things that do effect ur sleep is...

ur weight.. ir u are overweight u might have a hard time getting to sleep..
activities.. do you use or body? exercise? or do u sit still? ur body must be tired, not only ur brain.. that can make it hard to go to sleep aswell..

or u can just be an impossible teenager..

I had a hard time waking up when I went to high school.. no problem falling asleep but I never wanted to wake up.. fortunatly I had a very patient mother who yelled ad me for 30 minutes every day before I got my lazy ass out of bed..

But now.. I dont have that problem anymore.. I do wake up 6 in the morning every day.. usually always before my alarm.. even if I'm tired I still wake up.. can have some problem falling to sleep tho.. since I sit my whole day on my ass coding websites n stuff.. dont get that much exercise.. but I dont see my sleep as a problem..

anyways.. I forced myself to get up when I graduated from school.. started working.. it's so much easier to kick u from a job then from school... and I rly wanted to keep my job.. so forcing myself.. and placing my alarm clock faar away from the bed.. so I must get up to reach it.. as soon as u are out of bed, it's never a problem.

GL Smile
Afaceinthematrix
No one wants to get up in the morning (well very few people). What makes it worse is when you have to get up to work or go to school. So it all comes down to just sucking it up, and getting out of bed. There's not trick to it. It's just discipline.
uuuuuu
This concept may not be for those who have trouble just waking up in the morning, but it is fascinating to me.

There have been at least two experiments done, both of which concluded that using polyphasic sleep techniques, a person needs only 2-3 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period.

This has proven to be sustainable over the long term (> 1 year).

I first read about this at a blog written by a man whose name, I think, is Steve Pavlina. You could probably find him with a Google search.

Anyway, the technique involves forcing oneself to sleep for 15 minute intervals, every 2-3 hours.

Initially it leads to extreme REM deprivation, but the body compensates by inducing forced REM immediately upon the beginning of sleep state.

Then the body gets ~15 minutes REM in 15 minutes of sleep, rather than the typical 1 hour or so it normally takes from the beginning of sleep state to the first REM cycle. (Sleep is measured in 4 or so phases of intensity, the deepest of which is REM, when the body and brain are thought to be in recovery).

This is what I thought the conversation was going to be about when I read the subject line of controlling sleep. It is a fascinating idea!

Both experiments ultimately ended. Steve ended his experiment because he felt too lonely. Sleeping only 2 hours per day, he missed his family because he was awake nights.

Anyway, it is great that we can come into these forums, even on a non-health related website, and share ideas like this.

Steve Pavlina had a lot more suggestions about how to control sleep, that would be more germane to the topic you guys are discussing, such as techniques for waking up earlier. (I keep mentioning his name, but I am not affiliated with him in any way.)

His blog was very interesting to me when I read it a year ago.

Take care everyone. It's been good talking with you.
slasonic
The body and mind can adapt to going from 8 hrs of sleep every 24 hrs to 15 minutes every 3 hours. That is pretty cool. I am dying to hear about it, I don't mind being alone!

Do you have any more info about how to do this practically?

Keep it coming! I think you may be onto something.
sambhav
Even I faced such problem but from now I wake up early in the morning at around 6:00 Smile
akshar
benjmd's suggested methods are correct.even i tried some of them in my college life.I think sleeping at the correct time in night is the solution for everything.Reasons for facing difficulty in getting up may be
1}cold environment
2}lack of sleep
3}illness
4}lazyness
so see ,try to overcome your faults.because remember
"good sleep reflects good day"
oleszka
Just good article for you http://www.badlanguage.net/?p=199

If to say about me... just goal helps me to wake up... I always say to myself "I need to do this or that" ...
[/url]
Drawingguy
I remember reading that teenagers have a different hormonal regulation (from adults and infants), which causes feelings of sleepiness later, meaning that you feel tired later, and wake up later during your teenaged years.
jenice
Sleep has always been hard for me. Before I got on anti-depressants for my migraines (which puts me right out), I would take extra calcium before bed and then go through various relaxation techniques (counting from 1 to 100 or visualizing relaxing each part of the body at a time) to help put my mind at ease.

Waking up is worse by far. I get immune to my alarms quite frequently. I use my cell phone to wake up by simply because it's so easy to change the alarm tones. I also use a series of alarms, sometimes up to five, so that my body has time to wake up gradually. Another way to ensure I get up is that I need to keep a regular schedule in the morning. If I have schedule that I follow regularly, then it's easier for me to know I have to get up and force myself to do it even on mornings when I'm barely aware that the alarm has gone off.
Drawingguy
Just a question. How much sleep does everyone here actually get? I get usually around 6 hours a night, but then around 4-5, I'm so tired (aka snooze time).
jenice
I usually average about 6 a night. On weekends I can manage to get more in the range of 8 to 10.

Anything less than 6 and I'm dead on my feet.