FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Better driver support for ATI cards in Linux

TheGeek
Does anyone know if, since ATI was taken over by AMD, if ATI will be coming out with better linux drivers for their cards? I have been itching to put 7.04 on my laptop. However, my laptop uses a Radeon X1400 and I can use the proprietary ATI drivers to get the right resolution and everything, except for 3D hardware excelleration so gaming is impossible, 3D screen savers are out and Beryl is out of the question. Anyone have any information on this or some success stories of how to get this card to work...I'm really stumped, I have tried everything I can think of, short of making my own driver (which I can't do) to try to solve this problem.
xbcd
TheGeek wrote:
Does anyone know if, since ATI was taken over by AMD, if ATI will be coming out with better linux drivers for their cards? I have been itching to put 7.04 on my laptop. However, my laptop uses a Radeon X1400 and I can use the proprietary ATI drivers to get the right resolution and everything, except for 3D hardware excelleration so gaming is impossible, 3D screen savers are out and Beryl is out of the question. Anyone have any information on this or some success stories of how to get this card to work...I'm really stumped, I have tried everything I can think of, short of making my own driver (which I can't do) to try to solve this problem.

I heard ati is quite good as far as drivers for linux. Use Google Groups to type in ati x1400 linux 3d. That should work, hopefully
TheGeek
Ok, I'll give it a shot, thanks...If I remember correctly, I think I read something where they said that the mobility series had issues, but I'll take a look. I may just need to do something as simple as turn off the power saving modes in the BIOS. My laptop slows down the GPU and turns off 3D acceleration when your on battery so it may just be unable to turn it on, it might be an OS controlled thing. I will also try search google groups though, I hadn't thought of that.
TheGeek
an addition to the last post.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2420732

This guy walks you through EXACTLY what you have to do step by step to setup a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an X1400 graphics card and a Broadcom wireless card (Dell Wireless card). Everyone who replied said it worked to!
sush
What driver are you currently using? fglrx? Does 3D acceleration work on your X1400 with fglrx?
yjwong
Remember, the open-source ATI drivers DO NOT support R500 and R600 series cards (which include the ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, if I remember correctly). Beryl and/or Compiz [b]will[/i] work if you are using the proprietary drivers (fglrx). However, you will be forced to use Xgl instead of AiGLX. I have also created a guide for installing the fglrx drivers properly on an Acer Aspire 5562 (with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400). You need to disable the composite extension from your xorg.conf in order for direct rendering to be enabled. Also, as some distributions bundle fglrx with linux-restricted-modules-common (like Ubuntu), you need to blacklist them.
djclue917
xbcd wrote:
TheGeek wrote:

I heard ati is quite good as far as drivers for linux. Use Google Groups to type in ati x1400 linux 3d. That should work, hopefully

From where did you get that info? That is totally wrong man. ATI Linux drivers suck compared to their Windows counterparts. On the otherhand, NVIDIA's Linux and Windows drivers are almost on par with each other. Meaning, there shouldn't be any perceivable difference.
djclue917
TheGeek wrote:

They (AMD) said that they would be focusing on delivering more performance in the proprietary ATI drivers for Linux. I think they are doing a good job (although the drivers are still very far, in terms of performance, from their Windows counterparts) and they are doing it slowly but surely. I'm sure you've noticed that there have been a lot of release since the merger. That's because they release almost every month I think.

With regards to your 3D acceleration not working, that would have been probably caused by a misconfigured X server. Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and look for web sources and HOWTOs detailng how to enable hardware acceleration.

BTW, you should have something like this in your xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "DRI"
        Mode         0666
EndSection

And you're Modules section should look something like this:

Code:
Section "Module"
        Load  "ddc"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"