FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teachers PURIFY students with Cow's Urine

ibay
Indian teachers sprinkled cow urine on low-caste students to purify them and drive away evil, reports said on Saturday, in a country where millions of people remain oppressed at the bottom of the ancient Hindu caste system.

Upper-caste headteacher Sharad Kaithade ordered the ritual after taking over from a lower-caste predecessor at a school in a remote village in the western state of Maharashtra earlier this month, the Times of India reported.
Hinduism reveres the cow, and its dung is used in the countryside as both a disinfectant and as fuel. In 2001, Hindu nationalists promoted cow’s urine as a cure for ailments ranging from liver disease to obesity and even cancer.
India’s secular constitution bans caste discrimination, but Dalits—those at the bottom of the caste system—are still commonly beaten or killed for using a well or worshipping at a temple reserved for upper castes, especially in rural areas.
Dalits, once known as “untouchables”, make up around 160 million of India’s billion-plus population.
In February, the New York-based Human Rights Watch group said India is failing to protect its lower-caste citizens, who were condemned to a lifetime of abuse because of their social status.

http://rawstory.com/news/dpa/Teachers_purify_students_with_cow_u_04212007.html

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=614712007
Insanity
I'm pretty sure that's unsanitary; I wouldn't want to be sprinkled in urine, revered cow or not.
TurkishGamer
I don't want to offend anybody, but I just think that is just stupid.

I don't think cow urine will do anything to purify a human. It is the beliefs of a man that shows if he is purified or not.

And as a side note:
You might want to surround everything that is not your own words with the "[quote]" and an "[quote]".
Soulfire
So, it is rediculously easy to be ethnocentric here. That is to say, it is easy to make a judgement on their culture based on our own cultural standards.

Think about it -- if cows were sacred and holy to you, and it was an honor to be sprinkled by cow urine, would you complain? My guess is not.

And, as you will find, India is not the best place to go for hygiene-related things.
starfish2007
i don't know that sounds discusting... thefirst techer to trythatonme willfind herorhimself in thehospatal ican tell you...
WingState
We learned about all this cow stuff and the Hindu in history class not to long ago. I thought most of it was pretty dumb and no real reason behind any of it.
wise
I am a hindu and i don't believe in cast. I am simply a human. India sucks i would say.
LovE-RicH
Lol, I would like to purify those teachers with my urine.Wink
I Hate My User Name
Yea, that's their beliefs, but it is definitely something I would never do.
Tyger
I'm not angry about the cow urine thing, that's a matter of their religion. But the bias way that they treat people with the caste system is something to dislike, if only there was a way to help those abused by it.....

Those kinds of systems are just there to try and make people at set amounts of worth, one more than the other. When in fact, all human life is equal. Dispite age, race, ethnicity, religion, or actions human life is equal to all other human life.
defnet
When I read the title I already taught "That has got to be indian people" and guess what. Only there cows are treated as holy creatures...
arranf
It's sickening for us however it's considered normal there. We have no right to accuse them of wrong-doing when we ourselves are driving ourselves to death via obesity.