FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intel 810 Chipset and Ubuntu

Donutey
I can't find any info, but does anyone know if the 810 chipset (with integrated graphics) runs with Ubuntu 7.04? I don't want a repeat of the last time I tried to install linux on that system, where the entire install process crashed and burned.
TheGeek
You might as well try it. It can't hurt anything. I use 7.04 on my file server and it works wonderfully. You can just download it and put it on a CD and run it as a live CD. If that works then it should install just fine. If not...you just wasted a $0.02 cd...wow.
myrevolt
I have a Pentium III with Intel's integrated 810 chipset. Knoppix of course will detect everything fine. The first time I Ubuntu it worked fine, one partition table erase later, I tried to reinstall and was unable to (+128gb hdd limit on motherboard + GParted GUI on the uninstaller would freeze my computer). I have Korrora on here though. Yes give it a try, just make sure you don't overwrite your data (when dealing with the partitioner); I recommend partitioning from the stand-alone GParted live-cd, sadly there is no one way to bypass the GParted included on the Ubuntu installation (I even tried the alternative install). Best of luck.

P.S. Insufficient RAM will be your biggest problem as the installers run from the CD=>RAM. Distros that require manual installation (no hardware detection) such as Gentoo are a pain when it comes to integrated chipsets, so beware of that, but Ubuntu is good on detecting your hardware (but nothing tops Knoppix)
sush
I've been using 6.10 on my Pentium 3 550MHz on an 810e board, the only reason it works is because I have half a gig of RAM. Make sure you have enough RAM because that's a more serious requirement.