FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it okay for your hard drive to overheat?

Diablosblizz
Hey, I was wondering if it is okay if my hard drive overheats, but doesn't melt. I downloaded this program, and it says my Hard Drive Temp is 67. What is the maximum temperature a hard drive can handle? Im using a Desktop computer, with my monitor sitting on it.

Thanks.
silverdown
Well My gets to about 98 - 101 while i am using it for gaming, but when im not using it for gaming it stays mostly between 70 - 80.

If you mean 67F then it should be fine but if you mean 67C ( 152F ) then you might wanna get a fan for it. IF you have one get a table fan and point it to it.
Diablosblizz
Its kind of weird though, yes my temperature was Celsius, but where the computer is, its around 60 F... its odd cause my computer does have a fan near the hard drive, but it seems to not be cooling it off.

Soon, I will take off the top, and see if that fan is still working.

Thank you.
Pikokola
how about your room temperature?

sometimes if the temperature of your room is "hot" then putting fan makes the thing getting worse.
But if you use AC in your room, and your fan is working (I mean running) and your HDD still hot, I think it's not that fan's sin ^^
greatfire
keep it below 70 celsius and you should be fine, just check that it isnt heating up the rest of your system