FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

THE BASSIST THREAD!

clydejaw
Yo, I'm not quite sure if there is a bassist thread for bassists.

I'm too lazy to search but i'm sure some people in here actually play bass!

For me, i'm still an amateur, although playing for an alternative / pop punk band I reckon i'm doing pretty well atm.

Sooo... What kind of question do I want to ask!

WHAT KIND OF BASS DO YOU OWN? & WHAT STACK DO YOU OWN

I own a Fender Jazz Standard and a Vintage Peavey T40.

My stack is quite noob atm; got a GK backline 600 head and a 4x10 Warwick cab Smile

(Also my first ashton and aria practice bass + ashton amp Razz)
BlockUp
Ha, I have an imitation Fender Jazz bass, but don't punch me just yet, I'm a student.

Very Happy

I only have a practice amp at the moment, so I'm probably the noobiest bassist here. Ha!

I am in a band though... and I have been playing for about 2 years now...
The Mitchell
ibanez Ergodyne EDB600
Hartke HA3500
Hartke Transporter 1x15"
Subsonic Sound
Alright...

Dean DB-96 - Six-string bass
Vintage V940FL - Fretless
Vintage EST96B - The first one
Starfire acoustic bass

And for a while a Turner Electroline 5, which was quite frankly the most beautiful bass I've ever got my hands on. By a long, long way. And I've played some pretty damn nice basses. Had to sell it, unfortunately - it was left handed. But I did at least make a profit.

Run through a Boss GT6B, and Fender and Carlsbro amps.

I want to get hold of a 1984 Ibanez Musician MC940, a fretless EB Musicman Stingray, or ultimately a WAL... but those are all just pipe-dreams. I don't have that kind of money yet.
Pilot
I've got a 4-string fretless Fender Jazz Bass. My rig is an Ampeg B4 head though a Behringer V-Pro effects processor to an Ampeg 4x10 cabinet.
Petee
I've been playing bass for about a year now. I've got what I think is a homemade imitation Fender Jazz bass (I'm not sure, I got it from a relative). It isn't the coolest looking thing, but it plays great and I really like it. I'm currently just running it through a small Crate amp, but it'll get loud, so I'm happy Wink
I play mostly stuff from Rush & Boston.
The Mitchell
Pilot wrote:
I've got a 4-string fretless Fender Jazz Bass. My rig is an Ampeg B4 head though a Behringer V-Pro effects processor to an Ampeg 4x10 cabinet.

Why oh god why everything was going so beautifully well until the behringer v-amp pro. Buy a pod they are sooooooooooo much better quality. The behringers are ok for home use imo but the pod is in a totally different league (also a different price range too admitedly but with an amp and bass of those specs i know you can afford it Wink ) (.... then again maybe thats why you cant afford it hehe)
spinout
I got a contrabass (eastbuild) with gut-strings (best sound) - I mostly use a PA system (3 way - 15", 8", screamer) for best sound . also I got Vox amps, newer ones.
SimonWSTS
I have a yamaha RBX270J in black - not exciting but a good workhorse and cant break it! Got a very nice neck on it too.
More importantly i have a fretless J&D brothers 2400 series through neck bass in natural wood finish. I loooooove it! Can't beat it on tone or playability.
I play these through an Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 combo amp. Will compete easily with any medium sized venue and has a lush tone to it. With an extension cab on it i could drown out anyone Laughing
IronWolf87
ive got some weird chinese bass(i live in china). i know the company is "golden." im still a beginner
Crosser
What good is a bass guitar?
I don't hear its sound when the drums and electric guitars are being played? Can anyone explain please?
Sickness
Well, if you can't hear the bass you don't know very much about music or your ears aren't very good Rolling Eyes

The bass is important to keep the rhythm of the song and to cover a range of sound that the guitar (usually) can't play...
Subsonic Sound
Sickness wrote:
Well, if you can't hear the bass you don't know very much about music or your ears aren't very good Rolling Eyes

The bass is important to keep the rhythm of the song and to cover a range of sound that the guitar (usually) can't play...

Or he just listens to badly mixed music where the bassist just rootnotes, like recent Metallica. To be fair, I'm a bassist with a good ear and I like to think a very good understanding of music - and you get some songs where it''s barely there. :p

Crosser - if you can't hear it, it's either being played badly, the production's poor, or both. (Or you really DO have bad ears...)
Yantaal
i forget the makes always. i know i have a peavey jazz bass. a headless bass and some other matt black one with active pickups, its a lovley bit of kit, but the best looking is the headless imo.