FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Weird Icon Problems ?? - Probally a Virus

Diablosblizz
Okay, to explain each time I login to my Account, my computer starts up and everything, but theres something wrong. If you look at my Desktop, my icons are majorly separated.

I know its probably hard to visualize what I mean so click the link below to see:

This is the not normal:
http://hotelmario.info/images/fhosthelp/NOT-NORMAL.bmp

And this is the normal:

http://hotelmario.info/images/fhosthelp/NORMAL.bmp
** For some reason it cut half the picture off

Anyways, as you can see they are separated, and I was wondering how do I undo? Also, when I try to arrange my desktop, they always seem to expand and go to different places, and its a pain in the butt ox because I want to arrange my desktop. I got this from downloadng a Windows XP Theme that looked like Windows Vista and it changed everything on my computer, and I want it back to Normal - its not for my other accounts (moms, dads, sis's). I am using Windows XP Home SP2.

Somebody please help, Ill do anything!
Q5U8

Right click the Desktop with the mouse.

Uncheck Autoarrange and Align to grid.

Now arrange your icons in the way you want.

Tell us if it works Wink
Diablosblizz
Its not so much of where the icons are, cause I can move them after doing what you said, its the whole spacing part, I can't fit all of my icons on my desktop, and its driving me nuts. I need to fix it.
Q5U8
Well, let's consider that is a virus problem, run a good antivirus (AVK, Trustport) and then a Malware remover (Spybot and Ad-Aware), then Gmer and HijackThis!

With that you'll clean your PC, fix any registry that the virus changed and fix the system if something where faulty or leaked. Tell us if that fix the problem with the desktop icons. Very Happy
mystzero
It's obvious that the display settings was screwed up. To rectify this problem, do the following:

1. Right-click on your desktop and select "Properties".
  2. Click on the Appearance" tab and then the "Advanced" button.
  3. At the "Item:" drop-down menu, select "Icon Spacing (Horinzontal)" and set the spacing you like by typing at the "Size:" field . By default, Windows XP's icon spacing is both horizontally and vertically 43.
  4. Repeat the above step by selecting "Icon Spacing (Vertical)" instead.
  5. Click "OK" then "OK" again.

After doing that, check whether there are any changes to your icon spacing. If it is still the same as before, open task manager and kill explorer.exe. Now, at the task manager's menu, click on "File" --> "New Task (Run...)". Type in explorer.exe and click "OK". When its done, you should be able to see the changes.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
After doing that, check whether there are any changes to your icon spacing. If it is still the same as before, open task manager and kill explorer.exe. Now, at the task manager's menu, click on "File" --> "New Task (Run...)". Type in explorer.exe and click "OK". When its done, you should be able to see the changes.

Thank you, didn't know if that would work, but it did, thank you very much!

Quote:
Well, let's consider that is a virus problem, run a good antivirus (AVK, Trustport) and then a Malware remover (Spybot and Ad-Aware), then Gmer and HijackThis!

With that you'll clean your PC, fix any registry that the virus changed and fix the system if something where faulty or leaked. Tell us if that fix the problem with the desktop icons.

I am running 3 AntiViruses (F-Secure, AVG, and Windows Defender ((Which is malware )) ), and two Firewalls (Windows Firewall, and F-Secure Firewall)

I tried HiJackThis, and I had no idea what I was doing, and I have Ad-Ware, Never even herd of Gmer, AVK, Trustport...

Thanks for both of the help.
Esperanto
As a side note, I'd probably get rid of LimeWire because it's full of buggy (aka spyware) applications...