FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Reputation System





DeFwh
This would be useful for new and older members who want to know how reputable someone is including forums where people could be lying or they don't know what they're talking about. Say like if someones holding a contest and they have high reputation everyone can feel safer about donating money to the pot for a grand prize. On the other hand a member with bad reputation being known as a liar posts something in the Health and Beauty forum about a certain kind of condoms on the market breaking 35% of the time. People should automatically know this cannot be and if it was a national spectacle but more important from his reputation they can choose not to read his topic at all. Its a very good way to rate how well a Frihost member is contributing to forums not just post wise but good topics that can be discussed in depth.

I figure a reputation system where members will gain donate-able(by this I mean it doesnt raise their own reputation it allows them to donate to reputable members as they see fit) reputation slowly after about 50 posts which could be like .20 per post. Members will not be able to transfer reputation after receiving as to prohibit people from selling reputation or giving it to another member upon leaving the forums.

If members feel a particular member is not reputable they will have 5 points from which they can remove from a members reputation( they can be dispersed any way 1pt from 5members, 2pts from 1member and 3pts from 1member, etc...) every week. These points of course should not accumulate in order to prevent people from ruining one another.

I haven't found a mod that is pre-done like this but I've used it on vbulletins forums before and it definitely tells the truth.

This could also be done another way by using a system which allows users to write a small review about a member and vote 1 to 5 so that every one can see.

Don't know if this is possible but I hope it could happen someday.

I have seen the previous topic by Rsam but the system Ive thoughtout prohibits major abuse of the system.

If its still unacceptable please tell!

Edit:
-------------
This mod may be suitable. No promises though!

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/6452
garionw
:cough: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html :cough:

Its all to do with common sense, if they have been here for more than 6 or so months, you can trust them. If they have a high post count/large amount of frih, you can trust 'em
KMKM
garionw wrote:
:cough: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html :cough:

Its all to do with common sense, if they have been here for more than 6 or so months, you can trust them. If they have a high post count/large amount of frih, you can trust 'em



Valid point! But a reputation system encourages things like for example a person starts a thread saying Free Diggs or Free StumbleUpons, He isn't doing this for Frih $ , just for the reputation Smile This can definitely generate a more healthy competition and of course the free services will be of a great temptation to users Smile

Regards,

~KMKM
tidruG
KMKM wrote:
garionw wrote:
:cough: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html :cough:

Its all to do with common sense, if they have been here for more than 6 or so months, you can trust them. If they have a high post count/large amount of frih, you can trust 'em



Valid point! But a reputation system encourages things like for example a person starts a thread saying Free Diggs or Free StumbleUpons, He isn't doing this for Frih $ , just for the reputation Smile This can definitely generate a more healthy competition and of course the free services will be of a great temptation to users Smile

Regards,

~KMKM

Such a scenario would completely flaw the system, and make it pointless.
You shouldn't be able to BUY reputation.
DeFwh
garionw wrote:
:cough: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html :cough:


Ahem please read the whole post as I have acknowledged that fact.

tidruG wrote:
KMKM wrote:
garionw wrote:
:cough: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html :cough:

Its all to do with common sense, if they have been here for more than 6 or so months, you can trust them. If they have a high post count/large amount of frih, you can trust 'em



Valid point! But a reputation system encourages things like for example a person starts a thread saying Free Diggs or Free StumbleUpons, He isn't doing this for Frih $ , just for the reputation Smile This can definitely generate a more healthy competition and of course the free services will be of a great temptation to users Smile

Regards,

~KMKM

Such a scenario would completely flaw the system, and make it pointless.
You shouldn't be able to BUY reputation.


I completely agree with you tidruG as reputation just like in life should be earned.
garionw
DeFwh wrote:
garionw wrote:
:cough: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html :cough:


Ahem please read the whole post as I have acknowledged that fact.



I could see a Rsam, but no Ratmaster who was the OP in the topic I mentioned. Besides, your post could have been just another post in that topic, you both pretty much said the same things:

Ratmaster wrote:
This could be good for the marketplace area. A mod that acts like karma, except called referrals and after someone makes a deal with someone in the marketplace the other user can make a referral on how good or bad the trade deal was.
This is like the blacklist, but people can be more frequently updated with this and it can have several categories.


DeFwh wrote:
This would be useful for new and older members who want to know how reputable someone is including forums where people could be lying or they don't know what they're talking about. Say like if someones holding a contest and they have high reputation everyone can feel safer about donating money to the pot for a grand prize.
DeFwh
I tried not to be too narrow minded on the subject but the reputation system can apply to all forums on Frihost. If you would like me to post more examples for its uses, I would be happy to but I didn't want to go on and on I only included the highly relevant uses behind it.
garionw
DeFwh wrote:
I tried not to be too narrow minded on the subject but the reputation system can apply to all forums on Frihost. If you would like me to post more examples for its uses, I would be happy to but I didn't want to go on and on I only included the highly relevant uses behind it.


But if it really only has one or two main uses, not much point in it, is there? Karma/Reputation is really pointless on a forum like this. It might sound cool, but there are no real uses for it.

If people can't be trusted in the marketplace, I'm sure Bondings can create a usergroup of people who can't create new topics in those two forums.

And if its all about facts, and something is incorrect - I'm sure other members will pick him/her up on it. People don't go round post misleading information, and if they do, that's what the reporting system is for.
DeFwh
Like I've been saying theres more then just one or two uses for the reputation system. Here are the uses as I see important to any forum:


  1. Judge how much a user has positively or negatively contributed to Frihost
  2. Determine whether that user is popular or well known enough to trust, for instance in the contest and marketplace forum
  3. Overall quality of topics started by a member
  4. Judge character and whether or not that members information might be false, inaccurate, or plagiarized
  5. Will allow people to make judgments based on their fellow users, its nice to know if other people trust a member


garionw wrote:
And if its all about facts, and something is incorrect - I'm sure other members will pick him/her up on it. People don't go round post misleading information, and if they do, that's what the reporting system is for.


In doing this instead of people not knowing whos getting reported as a spammer, flamer, or troller their reputation will reflect that.
garionw

  1. Judge how much a user has positively or negatively contributed to Frihost - Post Count, Date Joined (Most people who contribute negatively will be banned/have posts deleted
  2. Determine whether that user is popular or well known enough to trust, for instance in the contest and marketplace forum - Have a look at their other topics with a quick search, check their replies
  3. Overall quality of topics started by a member - Again, with a simple search, though I have no idea how this affects the marketplace
  4. Judge character and whether or not that members information might be false, inaccurate, or plagiarized - If I don't know, how will you know and thats what a karma system is
  5. Will allow people to make judgments based on their fellow users, its nice to know if other people trust a member


Karma is no good on these forums because people will recieve messages like "Psst. give me positive karma and I'll give you 10Frih$" - wheres the value then?
arkebuzer
I have been active on a few forums that has used some kind of "reputation system" last few years.
The main idea is good I think, but its also quite easy to abuse.
An example: I give my input about religion in a thread. I make a well written post just stating my oppinions and contribute to the discussion. And I dont try to make anyone upset or angry.
HOWEVER people who dissagree with me can (even thought I was contributing to a serious discussion) totally ruin my reputation just cause they dont agree with me.
I have seen this happend on several forums allready. And I dont really think the good parts of a reputation system exceeds the bad ones.

And hey! after all, if you are active on forums you will soon get to know whos serious and whos not... who contributes with good written posts and whos just here to get a free hosting or a high post count. So a "reputation system" is not really needed in my oppinion.
DeFwh
garionw wrote:
Karma is no good on these forums because people will recieve messages like "Psst. give me positive karma and I'll give you 10Frih$" - wheres the value then?


Like I said in my first post it would be impossible to keep members from doing this but to discourage it I thought that you would have had made 50 posts and that you would recieve only .2 reputation power max for each post after 50. I was only saying .2 but it could even be .1 which would mean you would have to post 10 times before earning a 1 point.

This would also boost posting on Frihost. People would want to get reputation so they would post better and post more often. This system encourages growth and maturity. Although some may abuse it will pointless as they will have limited ability to change someones reputation dramatically.

100posts x .2 = 20 reputation points
100posts x .1 = 10 reputation points
100posts x .05 = 5 reputation points
Marston
I'm pretty sure reputation would need to be handed out by members- anybody can postwh*re, and it doesn't make them any more reputable.
tidruG
I'm inclined to agree with Marston.
There's no point in giving reputation to someone who just posts a lot.

Instead, rep should be given out by real people.

Scenario 1: Users allowed to give each other rep
This, as you already have deduced, would be problematic, because it'd be biased, and rep can be bought/traded.

Scenario 2: Staff gives rep
This is overtaxing the staff. We don't read every single post, and there are just too many people registered for us to be able to dedicate time to give them rep.
James007
I hate karma-systems. Why should we need it anyway? Is it really necessary to implement this feature (and adding, yet another, mod to the system)? I think the current point system, combined with staff members discussing very good or very bad posters, and the AWIT-system fills the need for a Karma-system. If we would implement it, it wouldn't add anything. We have the Karma-idea elements already implemented in the combination of the three factors stated above.

I also think some members would get the feeling they are getting stigmatized because of acts of the past. They should be given another chance, and that wouldn't be able with a karma-system, it puts a label on people.

This is why I think reputation information should be kept in the hands of the people who need to judge it meaning, us.

That's my opinion.
Marston
James007 wrote:
I hate karma-systems. Why should we need it anyway? Is it really necessary to implement this feature (and adding, yet another, mod to the system)? I think the current point system, combined with staff members discussing very good or very bad posters, and the AWIT-system fills the need for a Karma-system. If we would implement it, it wouldn't add anything. We have the Karma-idea elements already implemented in the combination of the three factors stated above.

I also think some members would get the feeling they are getting stigmatized because of acts of the past. They should be given another chance, and that wouldn't be able with a karma-system, it puts a label on people.

This is why I think reputation information should be kept in the hands of the people who need to judge it meaning, us.

That's my opinion.
Exactly.
LostOverThere
Honestly Reputation systems turn forum members against each other.

Why should we need to look at a graph to know if someone is evil or not? A Community is a family - you don't need to label each other.
reddishblue
LostOverThere wrote:
Honestly Reputation systems turn forum members against each other.

Why should we need to look at a graph to know if someone is evil or not? A Community is a family - you don't need to label each other.

Well I might reframe from giving a user 1000 frih for say...designing me a flash site it their Rep says Super Dooper Evil.
Even still, its not a very useful system.
unknownc1c
lol again i like the idea, but i agree with tidrug. It might be a lot of work for the mods to watch over...
Arnie
Are we starting this whole karma nonsense again? I'm really starting to hate that word.

( Refer to my post in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69834.html ...)
wexaz
I think it would be good idea Wink
Ratmaster
I have suggested this, and some other people have too, and I still support it, because it gives you a higher chance to not be ripped off, which I had accidentally donated a frih$ amount to a currently active user and they decided to run away with it and try to buy something off me then. Rolling Eyes

It is not a very large amount, but it would show that this user has ripped off someone before, and the nerve of actually trying to buy a domain from me was hilarious, including since I had PMed this user and posted a message in public saying that I wanted the frih$ back.

This would be a very good idea, since the Marketplace Blacklist has not been updated in awhile. Confused
tidruG
I'll try to update the Marketplace Blacklist later, when I'm a little less busy.
Ratmaster
tidruG wrote:
I'll try to update the Marketplace Blacklist later, when I'm a little less busy.
You are doing a good job with staffing around here and I was suggesting the rep system so you can take your work count down a little so you don't overwork yourself and there will no longer be a need for that topic.
Related topics
Karma/Reputation System
Idea - Signature Contest
V Bulletin dkmanlar
Post Voting System + Expanded Profile
A New Bulletin Board
The matrix online hints and tips
Karma/FeedBack
Awards
Own Forum Software
Fallout New Vegas
An abuse-resistant rating system.
A 'Like' button..
Take Care Of The Mac System
Atlantica
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.