FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why is my external hard drive so darn slow?

Loghete
I've got a 250GB LaCie external hard drive.. but it's so slow!

I've measuring the speed by transferring several larger files, and the speed is about 310 kb/s. The specifications of the HD and USB says it should go at least 10 times as fast as it does.
Oh, and the USB wire is fairly short, about 20 cm. And I'm using USB2. So what's "delaying" it? Can I get the speed up somehow? Is this a normal speed?
psycosquirrel
Try defragmenting it. Your files may be scattered all over the place...
Loghete
Uh, well, it was this slow already when it was empty..
Q5U8
Scan your OS because if you have a virus, it can slow down your hard drive, more if it is a USB one.
kizarop
Check bios settings , maybe usb 2.0 mode is turned off and is operating at usb 1.1. speed
Jaan
Maybe your bus is corrupted, try resetting the menu through alt+crt/lcd.

I'm not sure I did this stuff in Grade 3 so... y'know.
fadirocks
I've seen this million time especially with intel chipsets that USB2.0 not functioning so you're actually using USB 1.1

If you're using WinXP when you plugin does it give you a bubble says you can perform faster with 2.0? if it does oh yea that's not fun

out of 110 IBM ThinkPad T42 2373-6vu so far I witnessed about at least 20 that their USB 2.0 not working properly! and there are probably more but users don't really know of the malfunciton (they think it's normal)
Loghete
fadirocks wrote:
I've seen this million time especially with intel chipsets that USB2.0 not functioning so you're actually using USB 1.1

If you're using WinXP when you plugin does it give you a bubble says you can perform faster with 2.0? if it does oh yea that's not fun

out of 110 IBM ThinkPad T42 2373-6vu so far I witnessed about at least 20 that their USB 2.0 not working properly! and there are probably more but users don't really know of the malfunciton (they think it's normal)

Well, it always show a bubble saying "The connected unit could be running faster if you plug it to a high speed USB port. Click here to show a list of available high speed USB ports" or something. And it can't find any high speed USB port.

So, if this is the problem, what can I do?

kizarop and Jaan: How exactly do I do that? I haven't been mucking with the BIOS very much...
TheGeek
If your USB ports are running in 1.1 mode instead of 2.0 mode. There is usually an option in the BIOS to turn it to 2.0 mode or it might be that the ports you are using are 1.1 for some reason. I know that this is the case with the front USB on my computer. I never could figure out what the problem was because the BIOS said they were running in 2.0 mode. But I just figured out that the front was 1.1 and the back was 2.0 so I got a 4 port USB hub and connected it to the back and ran it to the front so I could have 2.0 in the front, problem solved.
Loghete
Well, I got into AMIBIOS settings.. but I didn't find option on USB apart from Enable USB and some Enable DOS USB or something.

So.. what can I do?
coolman1232
Perhaps try contacting the maker of the hard drive if all of the above does not succeed? 310 kb/s is pretty slow, though it is expected that external usb hard drives will be relatively slow, since they connect to a USB port...
psycosquirrel
If there is no option in the BIOS and there is nothing in your hardware that lacks a driver, then your motherboard is probably too old to support usb 2.0, and you will have to get a usb PCI card to interface faster.
asianwannabe999
That probably means that your system doesn't support usb 2.0. Get a new usb card. USB 1 is far slower than the 2.0 standard.
fadirocks
psycosquirrel wrote:
If there is no option in the BIOS and there is nothing in your hardware that lacks a driver, then your motherboard is probably too old to support usb 2.0, and you will have to get a usb PCI card to interface faster.

very possible, so please make sure that mobo does support USB2.0 if it does and it doesn't work time to bitch at the manufacturer Razz
Loghete
I really thought I had USB 2.0...
So, would it be enough to just get some USB ports/card(?) or do I have to exchange the whole motherboard?

Everyone is saying different things so I don't know who to trust Razz
psycosquirrel
It would be enough to get a PCI USB card. You may want to get one with Firewire too, while you are at it. That way, you have both Firewire and USB.
DecayClan
coolman1232 wrote:
Perhaps try contacting the maker of the hard drive if all of the above does not succeed? 310 kb/s is pretty slow, though it is expected that external usb hard drives will be relatively slow, since they connect to a USB port...

Don't do that, its not their fault in no way... you will end up with nothing...

Just get a pci usb card liek they said and you will be just fine. Well, the speed that you are describing, is the exact speed that you should get from a usb 1.1 ....

Have a nice day Cool
Loghete
Ok, thanks for all the help. Very Happy

I'll try to get my hands on one USB PCI card, I need new USB ports anyway; it's a pain just having 2 ports on the back of the PC, with a printer always connected I have to keep switching my iPod, camera and external HD cables...

Thanks again =D
PatriciaC
Maybe you should check for the files you have in it, not only the quantity but also the quality of your data can be causing the problem.
ZapMon
if its made in China then they made it cheap
chinese stuff isn't really good with some things.

they lack good quality control.

but maybe theres a Virus on your computer
or your computer is older and has slower transfer speeds?