FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many singers can actually SING?

ainieas
Of the many, many singers on the channels everyday how many do you think can actually sing?

To me looks like most of them are out there just to look pretty and show some skin.
mattchun
If that, rappers are not acturally "singers", they are just speaking!
Ducksteina
Jack Johnson definitely CAN sing without showing skin... Very Happy
Ozzy
Phil Collins
Bobby Kimball
Steve Lukather
Nutteloos
More interestingly, what female singers actually get chosen for their voice? (and not their looks)
clydejaw
I reckon it's quite hard to actually sing sing..

so kudos to the people who can actually keep in tune.. _b

However, looking pretty and showing skin is all good Smile
Kelcey
That's a really good question. Even if they sound good on TV... you know the audio has been harassed by being cleaned up Razz
deStructuralized
First, to the person claiming rappers aren't singing because they're speaking...well, yes. That's pretty much obvious from a definitional standpoint, but I don't see how that in any way indicates a lack of talent. A different sort of talent, maybe.

Second, the majority of singers who are famous can't sing, especially those in genres where singing comes secondary. Pop and R&B's pop variant are examples of genres where image and catchy music seem to matter more than actual singing ability. Paris Hilton can not sing. Neither can Akon. Neither can T-Pain. In contrast, Tori Amos, John Legend, and Nelly Furtado can sing, and often do so beautifully.
arkebuzer
No offence, but that´s a pretty bad question if you ask me.

To me the sicger in "In Flames" is just awesome... but some people dont consider metal growling as singing. At the same time I dont personally like RAP or POP music, and therefor I have a hard time to see who´s tallented and who´s not. (the fact a lot of the music is seriously manipulated in computers do add to that).
If you like opera you might think an opera singer is just super tallented, and swesome in all ways! and if you dont like opera they are all just fat ladies who scream words no one understand in an ear tearing pitch.

It´s all in the eye of the beholder... or well... ear in this case Wink
Helios
Power Metal singers have a very strong and developed voice.
For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-1Jj5waOco
Actually, there aren`t any metal vocalists (who are actually playing metal) who "fake".

About Growling: for me, growling is just a different type of vocal production. Singing is done using your vocal chords, growling isn`t. When you growl you use your larnyx muscles only. It`s hard to explain, but there are videos on the net showing what`s moving when singing and growling (melissa cross website). That`s what I know about it, maybe I`m wrong though...
Tuxy
Maynard James Keenan
ddukki
100% of them. Oh, you mean well? About 30% to 40%.
Osmodius
Tuxy wrote:
Maynard James Keenan

Amen to that, I just wish A Perfect Circle were still together, my playlist needs as much MJK as it can get.
Esperanto
ddukki wrote:
100% of them. Oh, you mean well? About 30% to 40%.

Haha, that one was clever! You should write for Simon Cowell. Razz
BlockUp
Chris Martin from Coldplay.
ainieas
arkebuzer wrote:
No offence, but that´s a pretty bad question if you ask me.

To me the sicger in "In Flames" is just awesome... but some people dont consider metal growling as singing. At the same time I dont personally like RAP or POP music, and therefor I have a hard time to see who´s tallented and who´s not. (the fact a lot of the music is seriously manipulated in computers do add to that).
If you like opera you might think an opera singer is just super tallented, and swesome in all ways! and if you dont like opera they are all just fat ladies who scream words no one understand in an ear tearing pitch.

It´s all in the eye of the beholder... or well... ear in this case Wink

To tell the truth I love Children of Bodom but I'm really not sure if to classify them as singers or not. I mean they do "sing". My question was pointed more at the likes of Paris Hilton and all. Any one thinks they might last an open night at the club?
SimonWSTS
My opinion is that there are far too many record company generated artists out there. I'm talking about the ones on the radio with the really irritating songs that are way too over produced.

Even if it sounds like they can sing, it's probably the fault of the sound engineer who goes through multiple takes and edits it all together to make one performance that will then be processed, tuned and compressed most likely.