FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spell Check?

HollyChris
I am personally a horiable speller and unless I'm missing it, would love to have a spell check feature.

Thanks,
garionw
I use FireFox 2, which comes with one inbuilt.

And I don't think it will work here due to our other language forums
DeFwh
HollyChris wrote:
I am personally a horiable speller and unless I'm missing it, would love to have a spell check feature.

Thanks,

FYI, this has already been suggested and rejected.

Use the search feature as bondings has suggested in this forum with the sticky at the top. http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-3725.html
HollyChris
Sorry I tried to search, but I'm new to the forums and couldn't find it. Thanks fo telling me.
DeFwh
HollyChris wrote:
Sorry I tried to search, but I'm new to the forums and couldn't find it. Thanks fo telling me.

No problem and for reference its at the top on the menu and to left side. This little mini icon is also can be of assistance.
Q5U8
I use OpenOffice Write Spellchecker, and in other case the online Webster dictionary.
tidruG
Well, it has indeed been suggested quite some time back:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-38751.html

But look at the way that one was closed... with a promise!
So maybe this thread will act as a reminder to Bondings to finally code the spell-checker.
DeFwh
Hah I didnt even remember I was the one who suggested it. Well spelling and stuff has gotten better with mozillas implementation of a spell checker for multiple languages.
Droop
I agree a spell checker would be awsome. I dont use firefox or any other web browesing programs. anywho happy posting!!!
Scorpio
Droop wrote:
I dont use firefox or any other web browesing programs.

Wonder how you browse the web then?
garionw
Scorpio wrote:
Droop wrote:

Lynx, is that a program?
ssthanapati
i use d 1 which comes with firefox. its easy 2 use and works with every site. Mayb u shud download it
truespeed
ssthanapati wrote:
i use d 1 which comes with firefox. its easy 2 use and works with every site. Mayb u shud download it

Dont think it works with this one.

I find spellcheck annoying sometimes,as it underlines every little punctuation error,sometimes i want to write,werent and dont but firefox makes me feel obliged to go back and add the ' .
DeFwh
truespeed wrote:
ssthanapati wrote:

Dont think it works with this one.

I find spellcheck annoying sometimes,as it underlines every little punctuation error,sometimes i want to write,werent and dont but firefox makes me feel obliged to go back and add the ' .

Well practice makes perfect.
Vrythramax
garionw wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
Droop wrote:

Lynx, is that a program?

Indeed Lynx is a program, it was actually the very first Text-Based Web Browser written by one of the (future) developers of Netscape Navigator, which then went on to become Netscape Communicator (now known as Firefox...more specifically the Gecko Enviroment).

It, or other programs very similiar are still widely used by handicapped people as the text is easily rendered to Text-To-Speech programs for the blind.
Manofgames
There is already a rather cool free google style(as in icon), AJAX spell checker available through miniajax.com

I know Bondings wants functionality over flair, but a dynamic spell checker cant hurt can it?

itd also be very useful for those who are away from their native machine which has a spell checker on it.

A spell checker can only be good in a forum.

btw this is the 10,000th suggestions forum post Very Happy

[size=15][b]EDIT: The spellchecker demo can be found @ http://orangoo.com/labs/?page_id=3 .
EDIT2: That spellchecker also supports 10-11 languages O.o
garionw
Manofgames wrote:
There is already a rather cool free google style(as in icon), AJAX spell checker available through miniajax.com

I know Bondings wants functionality over flair, but a dynamic spell checker cant hurt can it?

itd also be very useful for those who are away from their native machine which has a spell checker on it.

Or a Whirlpool style spell checker where theres a button you press, and it takes you to another page where it lists all mistakes.

But then you need to deal with the language forums as well.
Aredon
I've actualy been on several boards that use this one:
Code:

<!-- Source the JavaScript spellChecker object -->
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="spellChecker.js">
</script>

<!-- Call a function like this to handle the spell check command -->
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
function openSpellChecker() {
        // get the textarea we're going to check
        var txt = document.myform.mytextarea;
        // give the spellChecker object a reference to our textarea
        // pass any number of text objects as arguments to the constructor:
        var speller = new spellChecker( txt );
        // kick it off
        speller.openChecker();
}
</script>

Source: http://spellerpages.sourceforge.net/
Its extremely simple, and the way I've seen it used is to put a spellcheck button next to submit and preview.

I actualy use it on my board as well:

Opens in a small pop-up:
sabe
I believe you can never have too many spell checkers. I too consider myself a poor speller. I think that I have improved my spelling by using a spell checker.

What I do is to make sure that I look at the word that is suggested by the spell check when it [the spell checker] finds a word. You have to do this anyway or you may substitute the wrong word. Because I see the correct spelling all of the time, I am more apt to notice that the word "looks funny" when I type it again.

I also think that keyboarding helps spelling too. My handwriting is not great. You can't correct what you can't read....
ninjakannon
To be quite honest a spellcheck isn't necessary, I spellcheck my posts in Microsoft Word before posting and it's not a problem. Anyway, I hardly make any spelling mistakes so I wouldn't need one - I would rather copy and paste into Word than spellcheck my posts online because it would be quicker to do it with Word. Henceforth, the spellchecker would have to be optional, unlike some forums where you have to go through the spellcheck process before posting.

I'm not totally against the idea because it would make a few others correct spellings in their posts, and that's a good thing [I suppose]. This would give the Forum a better image for guests and make posts easier to read. It would also be a right pain for people who checked their posts and hadn't used proper English (but stf lyk ths tht is mch hardr 2 read, n looks appalling) - another reason why the spellchecker would have to be optional, because many could be deterred from posting because they'd just have to click the 'ignore' button a load of time.

Also, it would have to be available in more than one language so that people in the language forums could use it too.
divinitywolf
It may not be nessecary yet many people would find it quicker and easier if there was a spell check on the forum instead of having to copy and paste a large(or small) chunk of text to a seperate document. And as other people have said, it seems relatively easy to do. I personally think it is a good idea.
jynxanims
That'd be tough, because of all of the different coding languages, and english, lol...
bulek
Just install Mozilla Firefox 2 and then EN-US dictionary script. It checks for every wrong written word and underlines in with red line. You can also copy-paste your text to Microsoft Word before posting it on forum and then correct wrong words.
ninjakannon
bulek wrote:
Just install Mozilla Firefox 2 and then EN-US dictionary script. It checks for every wrong written word and underlines in with red line. You can also copy-paste your text to Microsoft Word before posting it on forum and then correct wrong words.

Many people either don't want to install Firefox, can't install Firefox (for example, if they go on FriHost at school, at work or in an internet cafe) or have installed Firefox but find that they prefer another browser that doesn't have this feature.

And even for those who have installed Firefox, what are they supposed to do if, for example, they find themselves wanting to spellcheck a post and they're not at home and therefore don't have Firefox there?

Just telling people to download a program solves nothing. You must rely on the forum and not anything outside that if you truly wish to improve this community. Do you not agree?
Blaster
Just install an extension for like firefox or for example install ubuntu Very Happy
ninjakannon
Blaster wrote:
Just install an extension for like firefox or for example install ubuntu Very Happy

Please read the post I made before yours in this thread, then reconsider what you posted there.
DeFwh
Well for those without a usb flash drive, so you cant run a portable version or FF, on a computer they dont own and unable or unwilling to run FF or install a spelling extension. Also if they don't have or don't want to open word they can just remember

http://www.spellcheck.net/ (up to 20,000 Characters)
http://orangoo.com/spell/ (multiple languages)

On-line spell checking at you're finger tips and theres no need to install a plugin or extension. All you need is CTRL+C, CTRL+V, and whatever browser you feel like using.
Vrythramax
The one major concern I have with spell checkers is that if you are going to write any type of code, even in the
Code:
tags...the spell checker will go nuts looking for whole proper words.
ninjakannon
Vrythramax wrote:
The one major concern I have with spell checkers is that if you are going to write any type of code, even in the
Code:
tags...the spell checker will go nuts looking for whole proper words.

Yeah, that's a good point.

However, I wouldn't have thought it would be overwhelmingly difficult to implement the spell checker such that it ignored text inside the '[c o d e]' tag. Of course, sometimes people do put scripts in posts that are not enclosed in this tag. However, this is usually short lumps of code and so wouldn't be a big problem. Furthermore, the implementation of this device might just make more people put their code in this tag to avoid it being spell checked.

DeFwh wrote:
Also if they don't have or don't want to open word they can just remember

On-line spell checking at you're finger tips and theres no need to install a plugin or extension.

Both of those websites are really good, and a great alternative to spell checkers. I must say that I prefer using MS Word as it checks grammar as well, despite the fact that I rarely have to change anything grammar-wise, I still do occasionally. As of this, I might not even use the FriHost spell checker - if it was added - but I am still for it because I know others would, and therefore I would be able to read more posts of a higher quality.
Unfortunately, many people either don't realise that online spell checkers exist or just can't be bothered to use them. Adding a spell checker to FriHost would ensure that at least some of the people who couldn't be bothered to use an online spell checker would use FriHost's one. And I'm sure that some of those who don't know anything about online spell checkers would use one internal to this forum.
James007
Internet Explorer users can download ieSpell.

It would be quite something, wouldn't it? Everyone writing in a proper fashion. Hmm... We should implement it. (non-compulsory of course)
garionw
DeFwh wrote:

Do these websites have some sort of API maybe Bondings can use? orangoo looks the best at the moment, because it has multiple languages.
Manofgames
DeFwh wrote:
Well for those without a usb flash drive, so you cant run a portable version or FF, on a computer they dont own and unable or unwilling to run FF or install a spelling extension. Also if they don't have or don't want to open word they can just remember

Yes, but at quite a lot schools and business', its against their policy to allow users to run programs of usb, because of virus' and whatnot, believe me I've tried.
Also I find the FF spell checker very annoying, it is rarely able to suggest the correct spelling for a word, even when there is a one chareacter difference between the word I've spelt, and the correct spelling.

I also suggested orangoo a few posts above you.
They have an optional API which could be integrate into the post form, and is very unobtrusive.

As you can see, the link to it isn't unobtrusive, and it supports many different languages, which I'm sure you'll agree is necessary considering the amount of languages Frihost users speak.
James007
Now that's proficient. It even works very accurately in Dutch. I like it allready. Maybe we could make an option on every profile, like:

Make user pass the dictionary check before posting messages:
[ ] No
[x] Yes

Nah, that would be a little too mean, wouldn't it? Very Happy
ninjakannon
James007 wrote:
Now that's proficient. It even works very accurately in Dutch. I like it allready. Maybe we could make an option on every profile, like:

[ ] No
[x] Yes

Well you could... Razz

However, I think the best way to implement this would be to add a spell check button on the left of the 'Preview' and 'Submit' buttons (or somewhere else, I just can't think where would be good). Clicking this could go to the spell check page, where the user would make any spelling alterations they thought were correct. Then they would click submit on that page to post.
The reason I don’t think there should be a 'the dictionary check before posting messages' option is because I think people would prefer individual control over each post. After all, sometimes you write a short post and are pretty sure you've got all the spellings right - or you're just in a rush and don't have time to spell check.
Some forum spell checkers have pup-up windows and I'm not sure this is the best method; this is merely because some people don't like pop-up windows. Yet I am not against this method really, just pointing out that they can be irritating for some (and sometimes for me, I suppose Razz).
pampoon
tidruG wrote:
Well, it has indeed been suggested quite some time back:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-38751.html

But look at the way that one was closed... with a promise!
So maybe this thread will act as a reminder to Bondings to finally code the spell-checker.

Okay, he said it. We have been promised a spell checker sometime soon. I don't think that constantly bombarding this topic with the same stuff over again helps any. It just adds to the pointlessness of this suggestion.

If you don't believe me, look at the link above. Bondings said it. So please end this.

(These are just my opinions)

God bless,
Pampoon
Josso
I actually use SpellingCow on my BB2 forum - it works well and I only installed it because people always pick on me about my spelling Laughing
Manofgames
Bondings wrote:

quixotic wrote:
:
Bondings, maybe you would be interested in this attatchment?

http://www.spellingcow.com/

It's a spell checker that puts a spell-check button at the bottom of the text window when you make a post, right above the "Disables smilies in this post" checkbox.

I hate the spellingcow thing tbh. I actually didn't meant that.

I rather meant, reading your post again before posting (much more effective), starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending it with (only one) point. Also using some paragraphs for long text and just taking care of what you write. I'm not talking about a few mistakes, or real mistakes from people who don't know English very well.

Noobie4life wrote:

Spellingcow is the dumest thing Rolling Eyes

Robin5210 wrote:

i have installed spellingcow on my forum and every time wen i set a reply.
Than is the window of spellingcow there and only in english he sheck the spelling so dont install

selim06 wrote:

if you install it most of users can't post anything...Don't forget Frihost have a lot of foreigners..So don't do it please..

Mathius wrote:

Bondings has already said he hats it so is very unlikely therefore to install it.

Bondings wrote:

I rather meant, reading your post again before posting (much more effective), starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending it with (only one) point. Also using some alineas for long text and just taking care of what you write. I'm not talking about a few mistakes, or real mistakes from people who don't know English very well.

Possibly disable the post button until it has been previewed

Somehow I doubt spelling cow will ever be installed, personally I hate the use of frames, the way it popups etc.
And as far as I know only supports one language, English.
Last time I checked there were over 6 non-English forums, imagine how annoying spelling cow would be for them.

Sure, its ok if you have a board with only English speakers posting, but on a board like frihost, I think Spelling cow gets the thumbs down.

EDIT: AT least it was using Frames last time I checked
reddishblue
James007 wrote:

[ ] No
[x] Yes

No, I believe it would not be too mean, we have so many posts from members who couldn't spell for their life, that this is essential.
The code is a worry, perhaps we could add code tags to the dictionary so it wouldn't catch them, or we could find one specially made for forum usage.
Whatever we use, I think we need this, I am being driven mad by some of the new (and at times old) members, they simply don't care.
We need some line between language difficulties and suitible posts too.
There are many users here who don't speak english as a first language, and some are kind enough to learn, and quit using language barriers as an excuse. I would like to thank those who have.

Reddish
Vrythramax
@reddishblue

I'd just like to add that for some the language barrier is not simply an excuse, but instead a viable reason. You have spoken to me on IRC (live chat for those playing the home game), and you know I try to get my english correct...but sometimes mistakes come into play.

Personally I think if anyone feels they need a spell-checker they should install one on their system and not burden a host that already provides so many FREE services.