FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lightscribe Inscription

Tony The Tiger
I am not sure what forum to ask this on . I am now using a Lightscribe drive to produce a video CD. I then do some hand inscription and optional autographing. I inscribed the first several hundred using a Sharpie marker and all went well. Then I bought another batch of discs and produced them with a higher contrast level. I have noticed that either the surface has a glossier level or that the higher contrast level has made the surface a bit slick. The sharpie does not right as well on the new batch. I even bought a new marker and am sure it is the disks. I had to go buy the Office Depot brand instead to finish the hand inscriptions. What do you think the problem is with the disks. I do know that Lightscribe disks are in general less conducive to hand inscription than regular disks. However, I am unsure why one batch differs from another.
psycosquirrel
You have to keep in mind that all the discs are produced in mass bulk in other countries. The companies producing the discs will go with whatever compounds are cheapest, but still will work adequately.

Discs will vary between brands also. Some companies coat the top with a layer of clearcoat, others don't. That may be your difference. There is no gloss standard for CDs, so you may have to expect every spool to be different unless you buy all at the same time.

At work, we use TDK discs and they seem to be very consistent. Just find a brand that is good, and order in bulk, preferably from the manufacturer, so you don't have to worry about the surface changing...
Tony The Tiger
psycosquirrel wrote:
You have to keep in mind that all the discs are produced in mass bulk in other countries. The companies producing the discs will go with whatever compounds are cheapest, but still will work adequately.

Discs will vary between brands also. Some companies coat the top with a layer of clearcoat, others don't. That may be your difference. There is no gloss standard for CDs, so you may have to expect every spool to be different unless you buy all at the same time.

At work, we use TDK discs and they seem to be very consistent. Just find a brand that is good, and order in bulk, preferably from the manufacturer, so you don't have to worry about the surface changing...

The first shipment had been 500 Philips lightscribes. They all took to the Sharpie quite well. The next shipment was 1500 more from Philips. A case is 600 so I had 2.5 cases. The half case took to the Sharpies as well. The first of the 2 full cases did not. All purchased from the same vendor.
psycosquirrel
Odd. Have you contacted the retailer? They may send you a new batch.
Tony The Tiger
psycosquirrel wrote:
Odd. Have you contacted the retailer? They may send you a new batch.

At this point I have video CD data on about 450 of the 600 (all of which already have lightscribe graphics printed on them from an image). I have already personally inscribed 300 of the 450. I don't think they will take these back, but I will contact them about some considerations.
Tony The Tiger
I have changed marker brands. Although the Sharpie does not print well on all disks, the Office Depot store brand (I believe called Foray) does. I have not contacted the vendor because of the extent to which I have already printed the disks.