FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Scanner Drivers

Tony The Tiger
I have a brother MFC 420 CN. This is one of their more popular multifunciton centers (MFCs) or all-in-one machines. It prints, scans, faxes and copies. However, the drivers for Windows Vista are incomplete so I can only copy and print right now with my new laptop. It is quite annoying to have to scan to my old laptop and then move files around. How much do you believe the following page that says they are working on the drivers: http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/windowsvista/us.html

Whenever I call the 800 number I can tell this is one of the most important vista problems because the automated line asks if you are a MFC 420 CN owner and instructs you to press one if so after getting to the proper support area.
Q5U8
Use this page:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/midlink3.aspx?prod=mfc420cn_us&lang=all&src=DOWNLOAD

Wink
Tony The Tiger
Q5U8 wrote:
Use this page:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/midlink3.aspx?prod=mfc420cn_us&lang=all&src=DOWNLOAD

Wink

Will this add scanner capabilities and enable scansoft software?
Q5U8
Yes, I download there the software that allows to use the scanner with the PC.
Tony The Tiger
Q5U8 wrote:
Yes, I download there the software that allows to use the scanner with the PC.

I will install it and test it tomorrow.
Q5U8
Good luck, Tiger! Very Happy
Tony The Tiger
Q5U8 wrote:
Good luck, Tiger! Very Happy

The file did not work for me. However, I have recently contacted Brother tech support and they have shown me how to scan with the flatbed using Microsoft Paint. I remain unable to scan with the document feeder. I also remain unable to use the drivers to print files to adobe using the Scan Soft software. I am unsure what the future holds for the prospects of the latter, but anticipate that I will eventually be able to scan with the document feeder as they eventually catch up with the driver capabilities at Brother.
rekluzz
Sorry to hear about your scanner troubles. Wish I could offer some advice, but I've steered clear of Vista partly for this very reason. I have some older peripherals that would end up as expensive doorstops if I switched over to Vista. Hopefully Brother gets those drivers released quickly for you.
Tony The Tiger
rekluzz wrote:
Sorry to hear about your scanner troubles. Wish I could offer some advice, but I've steered clear of Vista partly for this very reason. I have some older peripherals that would end up as expensive doorstops if I switched over to Vista. Hopefully Brother gets those drivers released quickly for you.

It is not so big of a problem for me since I still have my old laptop and can scan with that as necessary. I just have to use some jump drives for physical transfer after scaning. In fact, I have not yet needed to scan with the document feeder since I was informed I could scan with the flatbed. Most of my scanning is usually a page at a time. It would just be nice to have the option when necessary. Hopefully, I will have it soon.
tamilchild
I will install .... then... Rolling Eyes
Tony The Tiger
Brother has finally released the scanner drivers for the MFC 420 CN. I hope to finally be able to scan with my automatic sheet feeder. I have downloaded the drivers and will install them tonight when I get home. Unfortunately, the Scansoft software that enables .pdf writing has not been updated for Windows Vista at this time. However, I have been given assurances that they are working on that as well.
froginabox
If you really want to be able to get things to PDF format, there are lots of free PDF makers out there until they update the software you usually use. Just make sure you get one that doesn't make watermarks on the PDFs.
fadirocks
I use this lovely free German software
http://freepdfxp.de (hmm site is not working now but I was just at it few days ago)
it requires to have ghostscript installed but it works great and can do multiple things like joining PDFs Very Happy
Tony The Tiger
fadirocks wrote:
I use this lovely free German software
http://freepdfxp.de (hmm site is not working now but I was just at it few days ago)
it requires to have ghostscript installed but it works great and can do multiple things like joining PDFs Very Happy

Thanks for the pointer.
republik
download the driver detective program from internet, it gives you the posibility to download drivers when running driverdetective