FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with a new fish

Vlien
Last Monday I bought two small fish (aplocheilus panchax) to add to my aquarium. Sadly two days ago one of them jumped out of the aquarium. It must have been on the ground a couple of minutes before I noticed it. I thought it was recovering, when I had put it back, but since this morning it has been lying belly-up on the bottom of the aquarium. The other fish thought it was dead and attempted to start eating it, then I had to remove it. Are there any people who know something about fish in here? Could it still recover? (I've put it in another bowl.)
SyncM
When it chose belly up you can count it out. If it can turn right it is pretty dead. Probaly when its gills had contact with air they scrimp and they cant recoverit. Or it was sick before you came home whith it. To kill it nicley put it in a frigerator then you can flush it or digg it.
KellaDayne
SyncM wrote:
When it chose belly up you can count it out. If it can turn right it is pretty dead. Probaly when its gills had contact with air they scrimp and they cant recoverit. Or it was sick before you came home whith it. To kill it nicley put it in a frigerator then you can flush it or digg it.

i think so too - sadly, but when other fish think the first one is dead, it's really so. they are only fishes and they have practically no brains - only instinct, which are always right.

you should think now, why it happened so, that it jumped out of the bowl... you can search it on-line in special fish-forums, coz that could be an infection or a hot water.... just find it out!

and yeah, thanks for a way to kill fish - i didn't know about it. hopfully i won't need it often...
jipmerite
As the guy said, it's just a fish. I don't think it really needed a reason to jump out of the bowl. It just jumpled and sadly landed outside the water. Maybe there was another more aggressive fish that attacked it and it jumped.

It would be a good idea to go through some fish forums or books and be careful to buy compatible fish. Some fishes just don't get along.

Perhaps putting a partial lid on the bowl will be a good idea.
Vlien
I thought it was jumping after an insect or something. Anyway, this week one of my neons tried to repeat the suicide action, but he did survive (the "aplocheilus" did not, sadly).
Drawingguy
On one hand, you know the scientific name, which may imply that you've done your homework on your fish. That's a good thing. You made mentions of putting it into a bowl, however, so that's not a good thing- no fish should be put into a bowl; temperature and water quality are just too important. That said, killies aren't extremely fragile, and a lot of fish can take being exposed to the air. How long was he out? In my experience, a fish that has come into the contact with the air is not 'done for,' and while it may be stressed for a while, it can easily come back. From what you've said, though, the tank may have been overcrowded, or perhaps you had more aggressive fish in there (because killies are quite aggressive themselves- if something scared them, it must have been a bit bigger).
Vlien
Please, read everything before attacking me :s no, there weren't any fish that were more agressive in there (neons, danios = NOT agressive). And, I had a reason for putting it in a separate bowl, which you could have read. The neons had started to eat the fish that was still alive, I HAD to put it somewhere else. Now, I tried to add some water from the main tank every hour or so. That was all I could do. Then it died... unfortunately.