FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will swallowing chewing gum kill me???

Will swallowing Gum Kill Me?
Yes you crazy monkey
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
NOOOOO you damned fooll!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

greenwoodmonkey
I heard swallowing chewing gum makes a big ball of the stuff in your stomach that won't go away.....

I'm guessing this is bull... but does anyone know for sure??

I swallow all mine and seem ok so far... and thats after about 20+ years of doing it... but my missus always puts hers in paper and throws away.....
saratdear
I guess doing it one or two times doesn't matter, as I have done that sometimes. But why did you keep doing it for 20 years?? Shocked

I am not an expert, but I guess it is not too good for your body.
Azmo
saratdear wrote:
I guess doing it one or two times doesn't matter, as I have done that sometimes. But why did you keep doing it for 20 years?? Shocked

I think the same.. I've swallowed a couple of gums in my life.. never had any problem with that.. but that was when I was a kid.. havnt swallowed a gum by mening for like the last 10 years
greenwoodmonkey
Azmo wrote:
saratdear wrote:

I think the same.. I've swallowed a couple of gums in my life.. never had any problem with that.. but that was when I was a kid.. havnt swallowed a gum by mening for like the last 10 years

I just did another one....

No problems so far
crdowner
Why do you swallow so much gum? Are you too lazy to put your gum in paper and then place it in a trashcan? Are you trying to prove that swallowing gum will not kill you? Who is going to post your findings if swallowing gum DOES kill you?
poiko123
Why on earth would you swallow your gum?
fsal54
U gotta be more careful Very Happy
looseballs
lol, beter chew it well, if its very sticky it might get stuck on the way down, and we would not want that to happen, would we...lol Laughing
driftingfe3s
It is just an old myth/old wife's tale. Probably came out of scaring small children from swallowing it so they don't accidently choke if the piece is too big.

It just passes right through your system and you poo it out. Why would gum get stuck in your stomach when there are many more foods that are much more sticky than gum.
amicalindia
The question is not if it is sticky but if it is digestible. there may be food more sticky than gum but if it is digestible / partly digestible then it wont create any problem. The next question is if not digestible whether it sticks inside or passed out. I cudn't find any credible information on this so far.

driftingfe3s wrote:
It is just an old myth/old wife's tale. Probably came out of scaring small children from swallowing it so they don't accidently choke if the piece is too big.

It just passes right through your system and you poo it out. Why would gum get stuck in your stomach when there are many more foods that are much more sticky than gum.
typingphenom2007
I heard that gum last 7 years in your stomach and then that's it. I don't know how true that is but that is what I heard. Has anyone else heard this or am I the only one?
ThornsOfSorrow
As a frequent gum-swallower, I've been curious about its digestion for a long time. I too have heard that it takes a long time to digest, but here's what Wikipedia says:

Quote:
An old wives' tale states that chewing gum, if swallowed, may take up to seven years to become fully digested, and that swallowing gum could also result in the substance becoming lodged in the esophagus. Chewing gum does resist complete digestion by the body; it is generally expelled like other foods in 95% of individuals, though relatively unchanged. [12] In rare cases, some individuals who have been known to swallow chewing-gum regularly and who are predisposed can aid the growth of bezoars within their stomachs or intestines

So, basically, while gum can't easily be broken up for use by the body, it typically doesn't stay in your stomach either. Unless you develope a bezoar (a "stone" in the intestines made up of food particles, in this case), swallowing gum shouldn't hurt you.