FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Indian Travel

georgekalathil
India is the 7 th largest country and the second most populous country in the World. India is home to some of the most ancient and heritage civilizations, which makes it unique. India is truly a land of diversity and is evident from its varied cultures in various regions. India is also one of the major tourist destinations and has a lot to offer to the tourists. The ancient monuments, palaces, forts, hill stations, deserts, beaches, backwaters, mountains all make this place a must to see destinations.
This topic is started inorder to solve reasonable questions regarding India for those who wishes to plan their trip to India. The answers which I am able to answer would be posted here. For those who know nothing about tourism in India, jsut go through the site http://www.indiantravels.com. All the best and am waiting for ur responses......
Shin
I gathered you are an Indian resident. You must know the country quite well. I am thinking to visit the country one day. I want to hear from the local poeple like you. Where is your favorite place in India. If you have only one or two days in India, where would you go visit? Smile
georgekalathil
Shin my favourite place in Inida is KErala, due to its evergreen beauty. There are also other beautiful destinations in India such as GOa, RAjasthan, Delhi etc. But I would advice u not to visit the northern states of India during the month of May-July as it would be too hot......
frih
hey friend you can go anywhere in india. it is full of wildlife,forests,etc. you can go to goa, bangalore, srinagar,etc...
Shin
Thanks for the advice. Smile
lyddi8
India is so beautiful-- my advice would be to take lots of pens!!! the kids over there swarm around you, saying "biro?" "pen?" it's so cute that they get excited about a pen! My friend was meeting up with me there later, so i told her to bring as many pens and pencils as she could!
Also, stay away from the monkeys (especially if you are eating)... they may look cute, but they're absolutely psycho.
gducnguyen
georgekalathil wrote:
India is the 7 th largest country and the second most populous country in the World. India is home to some of the most ancient and heritage civilizations, which makes it unique. India is truly a land of diversity and is evident from its varied cultures in various regions. India is also one of the major tourist destinations and has a lot to offer to the tourists. The ancient monuments, palaces, forts, hill stations, deserts, beaches, backwaters, mountains all make this place a must to see destinations.
This topic is started inorder to solve reasonable questions regarding India for those who wishes to plan their trip to India. The answers which I am able to answer would be posted here. For those who know nothing about tourism in India, jsut go through the site http://www.indiantravels.com. All the best and am waiting for ur responses......

Thanks! I'll come to India Surprised
zhuzhu
hi!

i was in india for the first time in january of this year. i went to tamil nadu to visit an orphange there called 'Joy to the World'. It was an amazing place where one family looks after more that 30 children. I met lots of really special kids there and now back in Scotland we are fundraising to build a house for those kids. Also, i took the train to tamil nadu all the way from Mumbai so saw the beautiful countryside all the way down. Kerala is beautiful and so tropical.

In june, I am going back there so would love to have advice about travel in India. Can't wait to see the beautiful shores of Kanyakumari again Smile

love to everyone who loves india as much as i do x
poly
Travel in India is tough (at least for an first world person, who doesn't just take the tourist bus everywhere), but it is just a great experience..
voila
Introduction:

India (Hindustan) being one of the ancient civilizations, the second most largest democratic country of world, residing people of various religions attracts tourists from all over the world to see the multidimensional shades of the country India.

In India, there are beautiful valleys, mountains, oceans, hill stations, rivers, animal centuries, old castles, forests, deserts, various cultures and what not! Travel to India is a heavenly experience.

Below are some of the most interesting tourist destinations of India, which remains shacking every day of the year with national and international tourists:

North India Travel destinations:

Kashmir, Shimla (Himachal Pradesh), Kulu - Manali, Amritsar (Golden Temple), Agra (Taj Mahal), Delhi (Indian Capital), Haridwar, Hrishikesh, Rajasthan (state of deserts and camles).

This is the head of India, northen India shines with its glamorous ambience with every place with a story behind it. Taj Mahal also known as Temple of Love, was created by Shahjaha on the rememberance and symbol of his love for Mumtaz. Taj Mahal was one of the old seven wonders of the world.

Kashmir - the valley of snow, it will grab your soul with its stunning and marvellous natural beauty, that you will fall in love with it forever!

The state of Rajasthan, known for its kings and castles they built. The City Palace of Udaipur, Pink City - Jaipur and castles of Jodhpur, Ajmer are the standing stonny proof of the great architecture of ancient India.

South India Travel destinations:

Kerala, Bangalore, Mysore, Ooty, Kodai Kenal, Hyderabad have been gifted with their beauty of nature. Ooty - the hill station, gives you immense pleasure with its charming climate, botanical garden, lakes, valleys. One of the coolest hill station of India.

Kerala the state is famous for its Backwaters tours & Ayurveda, Eco-tourism. The temples and culture of Tamilnadu are another famous tourist places.

Karnataka the prime production center of Agarbathi (incense Sticks), Arecanut, Coffee, Silk and Sandal Wood. The multiculre state, having Bangalore as its capital - the hub of many cultures, attracts tourists from all over the world round the year. You must visit yourself to feel the richness of its hospitality as it can't be explained in words.

South India in other words is a land of temples, deep forests, orange flowers and festivals.

West India Travel destinations:

West India is formed by states like Goa, Gujarat and Maharashtra. Who has not heard of Goa? The land of beaches and churches. The nature has gifted Goa with numurous of beautiful and stunning beaches, heavily trafficed half of the year. Goa is also famous for its night life and cruz trips during nights.

Gujarat the state having Gir Wildlife Century - the only home for Asiatic Lions. The other attraction of Gujarat state is Rann of Kutch. Aah! you spend one night in the desert and you will crave for it again and again.

Maharashtra mostly famous for its Capital Bombay (Mumbai) - mix up of many Indian regional cultures, with fastest life. Temples of Ajanta & Ellora ( Aurangabad, Maharashtra) are the proof of very ancient sculptures.

East India Travel destinations:

Eastern Zone of India is rich in Cultural Heritage. You can have a taste of beaches, temples, monastries, buddhist circuit with a rural touch. Most Popular tourist destinations for this region are, Calcutta, Former Captal of India, Jagannath Puri & Bhubaneshwar, Buddhist Circuit in Bihar, Monastries in Sikkim, Kanchenjunga Range of Mountains in Darjeeling etc.

Kolkata - the capital of West Bengal famous for its Howrah Bridge, Swami Vivekananda, nobel prize winner like Rabindranath Tagore.

Eastern India constitues states like Orissa, Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Arunanchal Pradesh, Assam, Sikkim, Nagaland, Tripura.
roshanjk
Are you coming down to Bombay? Here are a few things you should definitely not miss:

* The gateway of India
* Marine drive
* The beaches of Juhu and Girgaum
* The night-life in the city offered by pubs, restaurants, bars, loungues
* A journey by a crowded local train
georgekalathil
poly wrote:
Travel in India is tough (at least for an first world person, who doesn't just take the tourist bus everywhere), but it is just a great experience..
In India you can get all types of places. It can be the plains, mountains, beaches, hill stations, desert etc. India has every type of landscapes.
heridlia
I will go to Mumbai, India next year.

I will watch bollywood movie in local theatre.

I will take a dinner in best resto.

I will .. I will ...
pavlov2002
Hello guys, I've just come back from India after 7 months off.
Well, I went also to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Nepal, but in India I spent about four months.
It's just great for me and I could only visit the north, because the time wasn't enough...sigh!
Next time I'll go to the south.
Abouth the north what is really amazing: the Hymalaya areas, the people half-tibetan, their happiness no matter how poor they are, their unbreakable faith in Ram...
georgekalathil
As monsoon has started rocking in the southern states, think it is the best time to visit Kerala inorder to see the beauty of monsoon. U can see the flooded lakes, wet forests and more and more...
georgekalathil
Indeed India is a country worth visiting. With its varied culture and heritage, India has a lot to offer to the tourists.
dbhai
India is a country worth visiting not only once but regular visits always as you cant see whole India in a trip.
Coclus
I went to south india a couple of years ago: Goa, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala are all worth visiting...
tempdbs
Hi All,

Visualise my Travel experience here

After my complete trip, I'll pen my experiences on this WEB blog www.sanghala.com/travel/

As my hobby is Photgraphy - I love to capture the best scenic views of that places.

Some of them can view in the Gallery.
georgekalathil
There are also many wonderful destinations in the north of India. Dont miss out an opportunity to visit Taj Mahal in North India, which has been elected in the modern seven wonders of the World.
azbuky
I've been to India a year ago and I must say, it was the best trip ever! The Taj Mahal was really impressive and so were the people, the culture and the whole country! Smile
satksri
My favorite spot on earth is Himalayas- even there, I have a special liking for western Himalayas. Last year, I trekked from Rumtse on Leh -Manali highway to Tsomoriri lake- about 8 days trek. Here is the travelogue:
http://mountaindiary1.netfirms.com/pages/tsokar.htm
This year, I approached same lake from south, after crossing the Parang la (pass).

Western Himalayas offers certain advantages: there is no rain during monsoon- unlike central and eastern Himalaya. Not crowded. You can walk for days and not meet anyone...
sachin
satksri
Friends
I don't know how crazy you are about mountains- but I had a life long passion for Himalayas!
I do once a year, solo trek in the Himalayas. There are many beautiful destinations and routes. I trekked form Spiti (Himachal pradesh) to Tsomoriri lake In J&K of India. Here is a travelogue with many pictures:
http://www.mountaindiary.frih.net/pages/tsomoriri.htm

Happy e-traveling!
sachin
nappa
really...I have to think about India again, because India was one of the country I would never visit!
It's full of people with their population problem. It's dirty, well as I saw in the movie. I really don't like visiting a place like that with dust, smoke and garbage with bad smell.

Hopefully what I thought is not 100% correct. I will browser around for some nice place in India. Howver I don't trust Indian people they are very very tricky and always cheating to me. (An Indian stole my money in Thailand)
mOrpheuS
nappa wrote:
really...I have to think about India again, because India was one of the country I would never visit!
It's full of people with their population problem. It's dirty, well as I saw in the movie. I really don't like visiting a place like that with dust, smoke and garbage with bad smell.

True, visiting a place like India can be a bit of a culture shock to a person from the developed world.

But then again, if freeways and skyscrapers are all you want to see, why bother travelling at all ?

A place like India has more than just dust and smoke and garbage to offer.

nappa wrote:
Hopefully what I thought is not 100% correct. I will browser around for some nice place in India. Howver I don't trust Indian people they are very very tricky and always cheating to me. (An Indian stole my money in Thailand)

Now that, I'm sure, is a grossly inaccurate generalization.

But that's not to say that foreign tourists are not often targets for cheats.
Everyone from tour operators to the guy selling souvenirs will try to get that extra buck out of a tourist.
Your best bet is to deal only with government operated/approved tours.
Or to get a local to help you out with things - trust me, despite your bad experience with an Indian in Thailand, you can always find more than enough people who are nice.
georgekalathil
these garbage and dusts are the most unique essence of India Smile
vegas5
Hello, I have seen many questions on Índia and have decided to count (summary) some of my impressions and advice q can be useful: Duration of the trip: 25 days total Price 3 people: 3,000 Eur (without transatlantic tickets of airplane) Route: Delhi - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Udaipur (Vista Ranakpur) - Jaipur - Agra (it visits Fathepur Sikri) - Kharurajo - Varanasi - Katmandú and valley - Delhi Everything in public transport except algun passage with taxi. Single we had planned the first nights in Delhi. The rest on the march and ningú problem. Eye! we did it in August q is low season there, the prices can vary in high season. first 2 nights in Delhi contracted previously without paying nothing in the Ajanta hotel (Pajaranjah zone) by 27 dollars (room for three). Negative: the hotel is not very good and depends on room q touches Positive to you: zone and q come free to buscarte to the airport Examples of prices (haggling much) on the base of 3 people: - Suraj Hotel in Jaisalmer: 750 INR (2 nights): very pretty - Hotel Heritage KP Haveli in Jodhpur: 500 INR (1 night): new hotel and the manager (charming) takes to us in taxi to Udaipur (with shutdown in Ranakpur) by 2700 INR. During the passage it does not try to stop nowhere to make purchases and nor so if it wants it wants to eat in our table to weigh q we invited a cocaine user (a rare Indian). - Hotel Lake Palace in Udaipur: 2400 INR (2 nights): very pretty, it is worth the pain the expensive price - Atithi Hotel in Jaipur: 700 INR (1 night): not very good the hotel - Sheela Hotel in Agra: 1000 INR (2 nights): only the good thing of the hotel is q is in one of the doors of taj mahal - Taxi Fatepur Sikri DES of Agra: 530 INR. To us we did not like. - Jhansi Taxi - Khajuraho: 750 INR. We had arrived in train at Jhansi. - Hotel Jass Khajuraho: 5000 INR (2 nights): the hotel is equivalent to 4 stars European with swimming pool and everything. The price includes breakfast (impressive). When arriving at Khajuraho, a little chungos estavamos and we decided risk- with hotels of categoria superior: thus q already you see plantabamos us with the knapsacks, sweated by the long walk haggle! The truth is q arose effect and the suposo bargaining more from 60%! It depends on the tired pressupuesto and of the q esteis of ducharos with cold water with a bucket, the difference is worth much the pain. Thus we also did it in Varanassi and Kathmandú. - Khajuraho-Varanassi Taxi: 3500 INR - Hotel Meraden Grand in Varanassi: 5000 INR (2 nights): very good next to the India hotel - Tour by Varanassi with the tourism office: 1300 INR (it includes collection in the hotel to go in the morning to rio). Bond much the pain (a day to contract one at least) - Varanassi Flights - Kathmandú 13702 INR (3 people with Cosmic Air), we took the day before to it and we did not have any problem - Manang Hotel in Kathmandú: 13,500 INR (6 nights). The difference of price with the Kathmandú Guest House (the most known) is not much and the quality is far better. Dormiamos in the Manang and pasabamos the short while reading with a milkshake in the Kathmandú Guest House. - Flight everest: 311 dollars (3 people): IMPRESSIVE the best thing of Kathmandú to eat: New Orleans Bar, Dolce Vita, Fire and Ice. In order to leave, without a doubt the Sam's Bar (q memories) - Kathmandú-Delhi Airplane: 312 dollars (3 people): we bought a pair of days before. In general: Nepal is a good destiny to rest of stress and shock of India and to leave march and to make purchases (better to leave it for the end). To haggle to the maximum (coverall the option of the expensive hotels) and in the purchases of mountain material in Nepal (important to watch the racks, if they are not good is not worth the trouble to buy if it is not by two duros) Is a trip q does not leave you indifferent I wait for q is useful the information for the q querais to go. I have been almost telegraphic in the explanation not to tire.

hilariouslicorice
north or south india?

my older-generation north indian friends tend to say NORTH, adamantly. my older generation south indian friends tend to say SOUTH, with equal rigor.
it's always made me curious. what's behind this regionalism?
is it still prevalent in my generation?
animhawks
Goa is a worthy place for family vacations in India. The best time to celebrate in Goa is during the last week of Decemeber, i.e during the Christmas and New year.
Yes Goa is one of the favourite places of the tourists all over the world. It has been attracting tourists with its beautiful beaches, temples and churches and ofcourse t
georgekalathil
The month of November is the best time to visit India, as far as the climatic conditions are considered.
asim
According to me Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Kashmir are the place one should vist and the best time to visit is november to march.... the climate is awesome.... jus lovely and will be good if ur with your wife or GF....
georgekalathil
you are absolutely right asim
adeydas
Shin wrote:
I gathered you are an Indian resident. You must know the country quite well. I am thinking to visit the country one day. I want to hear from the local poeple like you. Where is your favorite place in India. If you have only one or two days in India, where would you go visit? Smile

a lot of people talked here about south india, so here's something about the north, north-east and east.

here's some wikipedia articles on north: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_India
north-east: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-East_India and
east india: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India

if you like mountains, i suggest you visit north east india. himalayas are always a sight for sour eyes. places like darjeeling, gangtok, shillong, kullu, manali, shimla, shillong are wonderful. shillong has even been designated as the rock capital of india. you can go to these places in the summer as well since the heat level is low here.

apart from this there's always the ever beautiful jammu and particularly kashmir but there has been some terrorism problems recently so you may choose not to go. however, if you can you will get the best time of your life. its beautiful... simply fabulous.

if you are keen on going a bit outside india, you can go to nepal as well. i visited it in 2003 and i can say that its a wonderfully laid out country... calm, serene and beautiful!!!
gaajula
India is fast changing. Travel in India is not as comfortable as in other parts of the world, except for trains which are pretty good lately.

The cities are very modernized lately and there is less ethnic sights to watch. I would recommend a trip to any of the forests in southern India, especially Kerala and Tamilnadu. There are opportunities to be able to camp there and it will be a very memorable indeed. Pick the right time to go though. Summer and Monsoon seasons are very difficult for people who are not accustomed to it.

Enjoy the country. It is a splendid place to be.
genchan
I have never been to India and would like to visit one day. Have friends in India and have heard a lot about the country. Since it is such a big and populous country, I am wondering which city would you recommend me to visit. And what are the sites or things that must see in India, including the must-eat-food Smile
Clinching_It
Quote:
my advice would be to take lots of pens!!! the kids over there swarm around you, saying "biro?" "pen?" it's so cute that they get excited about a pen!

Actually, my advice would be don't ever do this. Seriously, it encourages beggar cultures and creates unhealthy relationships between white people (yeah, I'm assuming you're white, sorry if you're not) and Indians wherein they'll just see you as a way to get something for nothing and never as a real person. A single person giving out pens is, of course, only a tiny thing but it'll all add to the cumulative effect.

I also don't think it's cute at all - I haven't actually been to India yet but in other countries I've been to where poor kids have grown accustomed to getting things from tourists (particularly parts of Laos) they were ugly - they would push and shove each other if someone started handing out things, they would hound you if you didn't give them anything and even get angry with you, as though they were entitled to whatever you may have in your pockets.

If we stop treating kids from different cultures like performing monkeys who we get to feed peanuts to, they might stop treating us like walking freebie dispensers.
mikeperhem1
India is the best place for travel but comes in between aug-march months.
pavlakaslatka
I have spent almost a month in India two years ago. Love this country, although it is demanding trip if you are on a budget. First of all, you have to prepare well: to learn about history, culture, religion... then, to do vaccination (hepatitis A, B etc) if you come from western countries, then to plan well in advance every single step, so you save the time. I have booked from home train tickets, hotels...
Angel00
India is one of my most favorite countries to visit. I have been visited this beautiful country and had a lot of fun there. India offers so much to experience. Which i like the most is Historical places, and Landmarks. I must tell you that it was an amazing experience, and had so much fun there.
dbhaskaran
nappa wrote:

Well, robberies and muggings are not specifically third world problems. They happen a lot here in the US too. Wherever there's huge divided between the rich and the poor and people feel they can never get what they need to live a decent life by legal means, these things happen. The gun violence in the US is something that you will never experience in India. Every week someone or the other grabs a gun, goes into a crowded place and starts shooting. Crazy.
afsoeiro
My wife's dream has always been to have a vacation in India. Now I just got a little more exited about the idea, as I am seing here posts about all the diversity of landscapes we might encounter in there. My question is: how about pricing, are hotels, food and beach structure expensive in India? Might the currency be undervalued compared to the US Dollar, the way our brazillian Reais are?
playfungames
I have been to India two times (well actually three times but one time doesn't count because I was there for a few hours, strolling across our open border). As a Nepalese, it is really easy for us to travel to India. We don't need a visa or anything. Our borders are open for each other to travel.

My first official visit to India was to Delhi to watch a concert. The concert got cancelled but we still travelled around the city and visited nearby places like Taj Mahal in Agra and other forts nearby. It was a wonderful experience seeing such a beautiful architecture that I had seen only in pictures and videos.

The second visit was recent. We went there for another concert and it didn't get cancelled. It was fun. The place was West Banglore. We visited Kolkata and enjoyed the city. We also travelled to a nearby beach in Mandormoni and it was a good experience.

Now, I dream of travelling to the southern region of this giant country. I want to see and experience the south Indian culture. I also am craving to visit places like Goa, Andaman and Nikobar Islands and Amritsar in Punjab. I hope I will get a chance to visit this country and explore new areas in the coming future.
loveandormoney
georgekalathil wrote:

We just can tell

also after the flight

there is nothing better to spend holidays than to go to India.
People like to live and they are friendly.
The food and the air is healthy.

And You can study an old culture.

And last You can learn a lot every day.