FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Safest african country?

ThePolemistis
ive always wondered,,

which is the most safe african country in sense of law and order? (crime, road safety, corruption, diseases etc etc).

basically safe in terms of being with humans, ignore animals or in the middle of a jungle, or diseases from animals, etc etc
poly
Probably South Africa nowadays...
suntzu3500
I'd go with Botswana or Morocco, both are extremely safe for foreigners. If you're looking at safety for the country's citizens, then probably Botswana - Morocco has some human rights problems in the occupied territory of western sahara. I've never heard of them targeting a foreigner ever though.

Morocco's Mediterranean and Botswana primarily Sahel, so diseases arn't a problem in most areas. Botswana has an AIDS problem, but that's not a big deal unless you sleep with any locals.
Shin
I think Egypt.
Soulfire
Tanzania is good for travellers, my aunt and uncle went there over the summer.
ThePolemistis
Soulfire wrote:
Tanzania is good for travellers, my aunt and uncle went there over the summer.

Cheers mate,,, yea,,, i think Egypt or tanzania would be a good visit or possibly Morocco.... I know the standard of living in Botswana is slightly high as well as with SouthAfrica, but as you say they have an AIDS problem.
ctrlTR
I think that northern countries are safety in Africa,and also i can prefer to visit South Africa without northern. But if you have courage and curiosity , you are free to visit all countries Cool It might be said that if the people are believer who live in your visited coutry in everywhere in africa ,this places might be visited with safety.at last one i think that no problem for which religion they believe ,it's enough to believe to God.The belief keeps the people from badness or perversion.The countries where the people who are superstitious might be dangerous especially in Africa.
tijn01
I have travelled from Morroco to Cameroon and never felt threatened in Africa! If you are scared of political disasters and poverty don't go to Africa. If you want an adventure and to encounter some of the most beautiful people in the world go to Africa and you will not be afraid!
Oh, except Chad, I wouldn't recommend Chad unless you are travelling with a group of well-armed men!
LostOverThere
Egypt, not only are they the safest (So it would seem), but also the richest.
poiko123
I think Sudan, Somalia, and Ethiopia are the safest (sarcasm of course).
budiman
I think Libya is Ok now. There is no news now so it should be ok Smile

South Africa is not so safe i guess. The crime rate is far too high for tourism and foreigners.
negergreger
I don't know about safety in South Africa but they certainly seems to have the best roads. Lots of motorcycle manufacturers place their road tests there.

Of Egypt and Morocco, I would totally take Morocco, at least I felt a lot safer there.
aldeia
Its a shame we should discuss that, dont you think. Better if the whole continent were peacefull and organized. We are losting a lot while the Capital explore and devaste Africa... Crying or Very sad
Nevertheless, South Africa is the safest country, nowadays, in Africa, but Angola specially for those who speaks portuguese such I do, is also a safe place today... and, with no doubts, a beatiful place!
See you.
Shin
Madagascar?? not in the mainland though..
georgekalathil
In my opinion South Africa is one of the most safest country in Africa. Other countries in Africa are having problems either from external or internal sources.
mikewhitcombe
ctrlTR wrote:
I think that northern countries are safety in Africa,and also i can prefer to visit South Africa without northern. But if you have courage and curiosity , you are free to visit all countries Cool It might be said that if the people are believer who live in your visited coutry in everywhere in africa ,this places might be visited with safety.at last one i think that no problem for which religion they believe ,it's enough to believe to God.The belief keeps the people from badness or perversion.The countries where the people who are superstitious might be dangerous especially in Africa.

I'm not so sure that all parts of Algeria are entirely safe... heard reports of random attacks on foreigners...

Certainly Nigeria and surrounding countries are best avoided... and certain parts of Central Africa.

The British Foreign and Commonweath Office publishes travel advice for all countries, and where and which parts of the world should be avoided:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590
lukejones
I have conflicting information about Angola. I've read that its capital Luanda is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. I've also been told by an Angolan who lives there that it's very safe. So I'm not sure. I would think it's safe enough to take the risk of visiting to see.
thealpha
South Africa!!!!!Egypt!!!!!
georgekalathil
Its South Africa..........
Kovsieassassins
I live in South Africa(so eeeh please excuse my eeeh english) I don't feel very unsafe but im used to it. In general i think it is pretty safe, we have some of the lowest crime rates in Africa(not much to compare with). Tourist are mostly attacked when they go to places like the Townships where I would never go(Im sure every country have its places you don't go). Stay clear of KwaZulu Natal rural areas, the Zulus are a very proud nation and like their traditional warrior way(If you like a nice adventure do really go there they have an exeptional history, we went and survived) All the other groups are pretty peacefull, where I live we have Sotho's and Coloured's(Yes we have Wites, Coloured's and Blacks(9 groups of blacks)). Being a white farmer is very dangerous since 1994 more than 1800 have being killed(We fear that the samething as in Zimbabwe will happen here )
Animals are no thread in SA
In some northern parts malaria

Do come and visit us in 2010 when we host the soccer world cup, our country is very excited about it and I'll volunteer as a security gaurd if it will help make you feel safe.

Our Neighbouring coutries:
Namibia - Except for the Northen part if is safe(but the rest is dessert Cool ) Beautifull sightings especially the Namib coast(eg Swakopmunt) I have a friend who live near Gobabis their closest neighbours is 40km(25miles) away Surprised there are still wild elephants there. Namibia was a province of South Africa before, so we still have many friends there.

Botswana - Lowest Crime rate in Africa "I think" only one ethincal group(hence the political stability) An African country for with I have very much hope. Their government have realised the importance of tourism.

Zimbabwe - Unsafe, But if your in for an adventure go check out the Zimbawe ruins(Bad roads, the tar have been stolen to make fire with)

Mosambiqe - Many rich South African people buy and invest in holiday houses there, Beautiful shoreline. Ocational attacks(with primitive weapons). Their goverment is really a bunch of idiots(they forbid the people to build houses with their traditional clay and stick method even if there aren't anyting else). Very bad roads. If you like a "country club" holiday go here private company's invest a lot at the shores.

Lesotho(The Mountain Kindom) - Very unknown place really beautifull. Not that unsafe, most of the cars stolen in Bloemfontein go to Lesotho, If you live in Lesotho and are rice youre one of three things: In the Government, a drug dealer(wheat) or a car thief. There are annualy a "Tour de Lesotho" for cylists who would like to see this country(I still want to go do that)

Swaziland - Its a shame I don't know anyting about this country.(Except that South Africa gave it to the Swazi's during Apartheid)

Chris