FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web OS

ctrlTR
a little info for the people heard it first time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_operating_system

What do yu think about web based operating systems ? Is it reliable and useful ? I have used a web os about 2 months ago and i really liked it.But i am little curious about it's reliability.It is very useful because it's not dependent on your computer that used for your jobs,so you can reach your applications from everywhere with a computer which is connected to internet.Surely paid services are reliable better than free webservices.I wonder that how many years later we can setup any program from our local computer to web based os and run it from other computer which is located in a far place from our home.
Q5U8
Yes, is a very interesting approach to have a remote OS, and no, it isn't a new idea. Early 90s Netware has a project to develop something related, but the project was aborted. Since then the OS get bigger and bigger. With this new project maybe soon we can be using a virtual OS from a terminal in any place in the world.

Very Happy
turbowolf
no doubt such a system need a lot of AJAX codes to build the front end. But in these days AJAX is still far from mature. Without standard framework and library, it is hard for a programmer to develop a usaful web application with abundant GUI elements. So I think it's still a long way before web operating system.
asianwannabe999
I have tried several types (look at this website: http://www.webware.com/8300-1_109-2.html for several popular ones) and I have found them cumbersome and not very useful. They seem to be redundant as well as not particularly well implemented in different tasks such as word processing or music listening.
TheGeek
If I remember correctly, Google had something similar to this in the works like a year or two ago. I don't think it ever went through or will ever good through. However, like is google's fashion, they will likely wait around with their billions and when someone does make it they will be the first to snatch it and improve on it.
badai
the irony of it: you need a real OS before you can use it.
JC Denton
TheGeek wrote:
If I remember correctly, Google had something similar to this in the works like a year or two ago. I don't think it ever went through or will ever good through. However, like is google's fashion, they will likely wait around with their billions and when someone does make it they will be the first to snatch it and improve on it.
Google actually have something like this. It's called Google Docs (& Spreadsheets). You write and save all your data on Google's servers. Havn't used it myself though, but I heard it works pretty well from people who uses it. The good thing is that you can access your files from anywhere in the world. The bad thing is, I guess, that Google can see everything you do if they want to. Don't know if it is so smart to use it as a subsitute to Excel (or other software) if you runs the economics for a big company.
lukeropro
Web OSes aren't really that reliable.
Imagine a server crash and if you happened to save your data on their servers, it's gone.
And unless you have a fast internet connection, web OSes will take quite a long time to load.
Q5U8
Well, a Server Crash is always a point of discussion, but, in a real world, there are millions of servers running at this time with a million of millions of users connected without hassle of loose their data.

About the internet connection, I think with a less of a 256kbps is enough to get freedom to use with a office applications, like wordprocessing, spreadsheet and something alike.

With multimedia we are talking of big words, maybe a 1mbps could give enought speed to render a CAD drawing or multimedia presentation. Wink
redice
asianwannabe999 wrote:
I have tried several types (look at this website: http://www.webware.com/8300-1_109-2.html for several popular ones) and I have found them cumbersome and not very useful. They seem to be redundant as well as not particularly well implemented in different tasks such as word processing or music listening.

Very insteresting link. I hear about web OS, but never seen a real one. I'dd like to try some web OS stuff. Thank for the link.
Another, Did anyone know where I can get Google's web OS?
budazz
yep you still need an O.S to use the webO.S ...........but its nice to know about it