FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Cd burner/DVD burner

Srs2388
Hey everyone what is a really good burner that burns cd's dvd's and has lightscribe as well?
I am going to get a new burner mine is probably effed up forever.
Handyman
I would recommend getting a cheep one like a samsung or lite-on from newegg. You can pick one up for around 35 usd. You will probably want to upgrade to HD-DVD or Blueray before it goes bad. Just my 2 cents
Vedder6
i have the samsung writemaster
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151133

burns my dvd's in about ~4-5 mins. (4.3gb)
copys dvd's to hd in about 8 mins or more/less.

no problems with it yet
psycosquirrel
I recommend Lite-On. I have used them on every build other than one (see below), and never had a problem with the brand.

I had the Samsung burner listed above on my last build. I got a bad one, and it made some really weird noises. Never failed though.
Q5U8
I have used burners from Samsung and Lite-On and both are solid rock, use any of them with comfidence. Very Happy

edit. Any of them has DVD-RAM Support? Do you need it? Because I think Samsung has this advantage over the Lite-On. Check on it...
sush
I have a LITEON LH16AP, no lightscribe, but reads DVD-RAM fine.
Bones
psycosquirrel wrote:
I recommend Lite-On. I have used them on every build other than one (see below), and never had a problem with the brand.

I had the Samsung burner listed above on my last build. I got a bad one, and it made some really weird noises. Never failed though.

I used to speak really highly of Lite-On as well, but my last dvd writer was Lite-On and died after about 6 months. Just a defective drive I am sure, as my cd writer that I had before that was also Lite-On and I pounded that thing for about 5 years and couldnt kill it!

My current drive is LG and isworking like a charm

I wouldnt even bother with lightscribe, I havent used it yet, but from what I have read, it takes forever to burn the labels. I'm so used to using a Sharpie marker for writing on my dvd burns that I think I would miss it if I started using labels
Loghete
I want a DVD burner.. I just have a lame CD burner. I see they're pretty cheap, but I never get around buying on, I always stuff up new things on the top of my Electronics To Buy list.
nilsmo
I'm using some cheap Lite-On burner from Newegg with lightscribe and all that stuff.. However, I would recommend a Samsung like the second replier mentioned.