FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP without a webserver?

pyapplico
Can I get PHP working on my home computer instead of uploading to a webserver to test my php scripts?
Azmo
yes u can.. before I had a webserver suporting php I used something called Uni Server.. it creates a local server on ur computer and allows u to use php.. however u cant create any databases in Uni..
Star Wars Fanatic
I use XAMPP, which contains PHP, MySQL, and several other components all built into one install file... And it's free. Just go here for it...
pollux1er
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
I use XAMPP, which contains PHP, MySQL, and several other components all built into one install file... And it's free. Just go here for it...

Why not simply easyphp ?
Manofgames
Well, some people prefer the features of some packages over others.
I myself prefer wampserver http://www.wampserver.com , as opposed to XXAMP, which don't get me wrong is good, but the FTP broke for me, and it got really annoying not being able to change permissions etc.

Whereas with wampserver, no permissions need setting, and its already setup to block outsiders accessing your site(s) whereas XXAMP is setup to allow anyone to access them, which is a pretty bad security risk if you don't want them viewed.
aningbo
i used easyphp 1.8 but gives hell lot of error and finally got MiniPortal and it works like a charm. everything is package in one unit.

try it though its not free. its the best you got out there.
Q5U8
I often use AppServ 2.4.8

Here is a table of comparison of WAMPs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_WAMPs
Stubru Freak
You don't really need a web server, you can use it from the command line like this:
"C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe" "C:\Path\to\your\file.php"
But the html won't be rendered.

Of course you need to install PHP first, from http://php.net
Fire Boar
It's easiest to use XAMPP Lite, in my opinion. It's a fairly small package and you can simply unzip and run the configuration file, then you can use both php and MySQL on your computer. I use it all the time - I keep port 80 on my router closed to Apache so that there is no security risk when using it.

You can also use .htaccess and .staccess with XAMPP Lite, which is pretty useful. But if you're on a Windows PC you can't create .htaccess files normally - you have to either copy an existing one (there's one in the htdocs that comes in the package) and edit it, or else create one with a command line somehow.
Stubru Freak
Fire Boar wrote:
It's easiest to use XAMPP Lite, in my opinion. It's a fairly small package and you can simply unzip and run the configuration file, then you can use both php and MySQL on your computer. I use it all the time - I keep port 80 on my router closed to Apache so that there is no security risk when using it.

You can also use .htaccess and .staccess with XAMPP Lite, which is pretty useful. But if you're on a Windows PC you can't create .htaccess files normally - you have to either copy an existing one (there's one in the htdocs that comes in the package) and edit it, or else create one with a command line somehow.

You can save a file in Notepad and name it .htaccess