FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

When fillers attack....

natem
So I'm sure that everyone that watches Naruto knows that there is a huge two year chunk of filler episodes that are complete and utter crap. Bleach went through a filler stage too, but that has thankfully ended.

Now I know that filler is neccisary to keep the anime from catching up with the manga. What do you think is better, large chunks off filler, and then non filler goodness until the anime catches up again, or lots of filler episodes mixed in with the episodes based on the manga?
RubySlasher
The more fillers an anime series has, the less I am able to care about it. (Even if the fillers are entertaining.) It's sad that it works that way for me.
votd
Believe me, there is not such thing as entertraining in fillers. They are just biggest shit that the japanese community ever created. I'd rather wait for manga to develop rather to watch those shitty fillers, which were created by some japanese stupid schmuck.
headie
You need fillers. No doubt about that. But if you shove filler into an anime and continue adding parts of the manga plot, you'll eventually alter the plot so bad that the anime and manga are nothing alike. You just have to have fillers if the manga is anywhere near current.
driftingfe3s
Fillers are stupid. They should just just break up the series so there are breaks inbetween the seasons. A couple of re-runs wouldn't be bad! It would also allow for beeter animation becuase there wouldn't be so much of a time rush to get the anime out. There are already lots anime that do this, so there are no excuses for anime with fillers!
PennyCopper
I think they need to wait, in general, for the manga they are using for a source to have a sizeable archive for them to make episodes from before rushing to milk more money out of it.

The Bleach Filler arc with the Bounto or whatever was a definite improvement over Naruto's fillerfiesta (which I couldn't get through. No. Just no.) but I ended up skipping over most of it, because I didn't find it interesting at ALL.

Some "filler" I can understand, because it appears in the manga itself -- like the Don Kanonji episodes with him and the kids fighting Hollows, or the FMA "fillers" focusing on Colonel Mustang's squad.

Ooor, they could take the approach that One Piece uses, and that's taking periodic breaks throughout the year to allow the cartoonist to catch up and create more source manga for them to work from.

Of course, Bleach might be trying to avoid another filler arc. They're only airing new episodes every other week or so.
Pikokola
Filler? Thanks god, that's the thing that makes me stop watching naruto, even, stop reading the manga...

I think filler is suck, if they (the anime publisher) wants to wait for the manga, just stop the anime, and wait for the manga to continue, then makes new sequel, like bla bla bla, stop, wait the manga, then bla bla bla 2, or something like that....

And if they (the anime publisher) really wants to makes filler "or" another story, just makes one chapter of movies, like bla bla bla The movies : xxxx

I think thta's better...
Seiji
All fillers suck but I like it more when they show 100 episodes of fillers straight instead of them mixing them in with the series. I think that is what Naruto and Bleach did. I remember Bleach did a couple of fillers to recap what had happened in the series and they were in the Soul Society arc. Naruto may have also done something like that but I'm not sure.
Chalchihuitlicue
I think fillers are a really bad idea, but sometimes they are deemed necessary. I wish with Naruto in particular, that they would have just ended it, then picked it up again as Shippuuden, especially since they seem to have made that a separate series anyway. I wish more series would be done the way DeathNote was - waiting until the manga was completed before making the animated version. That way, you can completely avoid fillers. True, the series tends to be much shorter, but is that really a bad thing?

I do think if filler is "needed", they should do it like Bleach, with a complete filler arc, as opposed to 50 or whatever individual filler stories like Naruto had.
Chelissamow
I don't mind some of the Naruto fillers, some of them were quite funny and they were there for comic relief. However, I only like the 1-2 episode ones. I hate the filler arcs which can last like 5 episodes.
carlokes
Hi there,

The huge filler on Naruto series simply made me stop watching the series...Even now with Naruto Shippuden I keep half of the time forwarding the anime because I just can't stand more stupid dialogues and flashback and their way of ninja...BAH....sick of it.

Stay COol.
ItsWesley
I think fillers are alright when used in moderation, say just a few fillers here and there, but the amount of fillers that have been in Naruto is ridiculous, I found most of them really boring and pointless, to the point that I stopped watching it.
CMA
On Naruto's case, the fillers were simply too much. There are some points on the story, especially between arcs, where one or two fillers really wouldn't hurt, but when you're drowned in +80 filler episodes and the story isn't going anywhere, then something's definitely wrong.

I say yes to fillers from time to time when they're called for, especially when it's to avoid catching up with the manga, but let's not let it get out of hand. Two or three episodes between arcs, sure. More than that's already pushing it. If it's really needed, stop producing the anime for a few weeks, then resume when the situation is more or less under control.
blk3
Why not just wait for a manga to finish or at least have enough head way so the anime doesnt catch up with the mange. Maybe authors could calculate up if their on certain parts of their manga when a possible anime adaptation should start production, that way the anime and manga should finish both at almost the same time.
vanille
I don't mind that fillers appear because in animes, some of my fave episodes are fillers...they're actually kind of refreshing and help me 'bond' with characters. meep. It's when more than twenty fillers chunk up that annoys me because that's just WAY too much. That's for animes like naruto though...but the 'sillier' ones I wouldn't mind. (like Ouran, even though it doesn't really have filler episodes that I'm aware of)
clydejaw
lol... imo fillers are just a phase where the creator/artist/director can't think or decide for the next few parts of the episode, so they decide to build up on a pointless plot that doesn't go anywhere. However, it's fun to watch and it is afterall for the fans Smile Imagine a filler for like... heroes Very Happy

Peter Petrolli goes on holiday and takes all his heroe friends with him to an island... and they play volley ball and something goes wrong.. like monsters and stuff, and they all use their powers to defeat them etc. Laughing
PennyCopper
clydejaw wrote:
lol... imo fillers are just a phase where the creator/artist/director can't think or decide for the next few parts of the episode, so they decide to build up on a pointless plot that doesn't go anywhere. However, it's fun to watch and it is afterall for the fans Smile Imagine a filler for like... heroes Very Happy

Peter Petrolli goes on holiday and takes all his heroe friends with him to an island... and they play volley ball and something goes wrong.. like monsters and stuff, and they all use their powers to defeat them etc. Laughing

NOOOOO.

What makes Heroes so great is that there ISN'T any filler and it isn't a series of barely related events in a self-contained episodic nature.

And, you must not be too familiar with anime/manga. Fillers in anime, especially ones based on successful manga franchises, occur not because no one is sure of how to proceed, but because they want to stretch out the source material as long as possible.

Manga is released far more frequently than it's american counterparts, but comics move more slowly, and a single 25 minute program can easily contain several chapters of the manga; a month or two's work. It's VERY EASY to run out of source material when you're making a series based on a relatively recent manga.

Sure, it's easy to say "omg well they should wait!!" -- but remember that a creator doesn't have say in what happens with liscencing; their publisher pretty much owns the rights to their work. AND, most manga-ka (and cartoonists in general) will HAPPILY accept the extra income any royalties that their manga will bring them -- us cartoonists don't make that much money, NO MATTER where we live.

Yes, I despire the fillers too, but I can understand it. I'll just step back from a series for a while if it goes into filler-mode, and pick it back up when things catch up.

I'd rather do that than gape in shock as I did with FullMetal Alchemist, where the animation studio took it upon themselves to completely write their own second half to the series because it wasn't ready. Movies like Akira & Naussica can be forgiven, though -- because it was the creators themselves (Otomo and Miyazaki, respectively) who decided where and how to truncate a pair of series that were barely past their infancy when they were turned into movies.
headie
^ agreed with completely.

i don't like fillers, like everyone else, but they have to be there. there's no way around it. at least some are interesting. some.
RubySlasher
Sometimes when you watch a short anime, you sort of wish there was more in between.