FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best web editing software

ronald.helpdesk
Hello guys, I've decided to become a webmaster, and I want to know in your opinion wich are the best web editor actually. When I decide to do something it better be good stuff, then please help me to get rid of the conventional stuff and use something very cool.

Thanks in advance, I know yall help me.
1337Bender
it depends on your experience and your preference and how much money you want to spend.

Dreamweaver 5 stars pay
frontpage 3 stars you might already have it if you have office
context free html editor if your want to use just html
namo 4 stars trail version available to try it out
nvu free wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) very good for beginners
falconfx
Personally I consider Notepad as the best HTML editing software... Very Happy

I think WYSIWYG editors aren't much good in code cleanness and optimizations, so I prefer to write myself my code Wink

Nevertheless, I would suggest you to give a look at NVU (if you want a free web editor) and at Dreamweaver (if you want to pay for it...)

Have much fun with your HTML editor!
froginabox
I use dreamweaver for everything.... granted, I'll have to pony up the money once I graduate and can't use the school copies on the lab computers.
kiranaghor
WYSIWYG editors are pain in the ass. If u are more into server side web development consider Textmate if u r on a mac or on windows there are two clones of Textmate called Intype ( intype.info) or e (e-texteditor.com).
U can visit macromates.com fro tutorials and screencasts. Those screencasts teach a lot about these editors. Intype is free till they release first final release. U can ive it a try. Their success lies in the power of bundles they come with.
rekluzz
Years ago, I used to use a free program called 1st Page 2000.
It helped me to learn HTML from the ground up. It had several settings for beginner to advanced users. It's still available for free and I see that they now have a newer version online as well.
silverdown
Myself I use both Frontpage & Dreamweaver they both have features each other don't have so i enjoy both of them.
infobankr
Use jEdit. It will take you places.

Hadn't heard of nvu - looks cool. I've heard good things about Bluefish too:

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it runs on Debian, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X, so I gotta check it out.
oleszka
can't live without Dreamweaver. I think it's the best one
otiscom
I still use 1st Page 2000 myself.

Have used it many years and it is a good basis for html. You learn to amalgamate other stuff as you go along.

And this version is still free!
Tex_Arcana
infobankr wrote:
Use jEdit. It will take you places.

Hadn't heard of nvu - looks cool. I've heard good things about Bluefish too:

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it runs on Debian, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X, so I gotta check it out.

Bluefish is what I use, and it is strictly for Linux. It's a nice program if you like to code your stuff. Not too fancy it's more like a text editor with a whole lot of prompts for HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, etc.

When I still used Windows First Page 2000 was the program I used to break the WYSIWYG habit and start coding by hand. It;s good for when your new at that stuff because it inclides all the rules for HTML and CSS. In those early versions though you could only go as high as HTML 4.01 and there was some widget that converted your HTML into XHTML. Yje best part was that it was free. I'm glad they finally got around to updating it.
Q5U8
I started with Frontpage 3.0, then I go with Hotdog Pro and after that, Dreamweaver.

But, notepad is a irreplaceable tool, is a must to say! Cool

I heard about NVU and think is a best free option, because you can setup a site in a few clicks, the problem is that you have a get files with a heavier code in your site... Laughing
josel7u1host
The best is Dreamweaver! it has everything all you have to do is pay for it if you want the best you have to pay for it.
qscomputing
Learn (X)HTML and CSS and code your own with any text editor.

OK, so you may want to use a WYSIAYG (what you see is all you get) editor to start with, but you will definately want to move onto coding your own eventually. I actually find that coding HTML is easier than making a well-written site with a WYSIAYG editor...
marixworld
so far, dreamweaver for me, is the best. you can work either on codes or in a graphical user interface (drag and drop or point and click). also if you can work well with codes, you can use any text-editing software.