You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Was The Unabomber A Genius? And Is A Revolution Democratic?

Theodore Kaczinski is a Harvard graduate with a Ph.D in mathematic. He is described by his own teachers as a genius. In fact his own professor is quoted to have said: "It is not enough to say he was smart."

He is also known as the 'unabomber'.

I post this because I would like a debate on whether violent means of revolt is justifiable under circumstances which provoke it. Before we begin I would like to ask people to read up on Kaczynski here:
[ ]

He has published several mathematical papers, but most important is his work on economics and society - which is what he based his actions against the government on:

[ ]

I've come back to the boards after very long, and I hope people like Princess are still around for a mature, academic debate.

It's not the quantity of papers he has authored - but the contents of those papers. His work questions the way we look at the machinations of our society in a way nobody else has (or few).

He was a man who would not be apologetic. He was a man who realized that world had become a slave to a marketting image - the Gods of propoganda. As Fréidric Beigbeder so appropriately put it:

"Advertising doesn’t imitate life now, it’s life that imitates advertising"

"Marketing is a perverted form of democracy: the orchestra is leading the conductor. The opinion polls decide on politics, trials decide on advertising, panels choose the songs we hear on the radiom sneak previews determine how films should end, ratings govern what's on television - .."

Some people don't realize that by building a conventional or formulaic conception or image (i.e.,stereotype) of what is evil - they, in fact, live inside a fantasy themselves.

First you must decide what evil is - or whether it exists at all.

Kczynski wasn't a TNT-happy maniac running around posting bombs. No, Kczynski knew that the only way to fight propoganda - was to use it against itself. In an age when advertising controls and manipulates society, Kczynski fought back with the ultimate advertisement - he knew that he lived in an age when subliminal broadcasts of violence, sex and advertisement had left the average citizen with an attention span of 30 seconds.

His bombs were only propoganda - shock and awe advertisements that people would not dare switch the channel to miss - they were ads for his message.

[Newspapers across the country were later forced to Publish his Message To The People - that was his only demand]

"In order to present our message with any chance of producing a lasting impression on the public, we have had to kill some people."
-Theodore Kczynski

"“The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair”.
- HL Mencken.
But, the thing is, if he thought the world becoming a slave to propaganda was a bad thing, then isn't it hypocritical that he only wanted his message published in the papers?

To the second question, it depends on the sort of revolution. A coup could be considered a revolution, and that isn't democratic, since it only represents a small group of people who want power. A revolution through protest is democratic however, as obviously, quite a sizable amount of people want change.
No matter how good(or bad) his message was, he screwed up his chances to be credible when he chose to kill people to get attention. If he was a genious, he sure as heck couldve come up with some other way to get attention! Why not do something that gets attention without killing or hurting people?

Why not hack some of the worlds top-webpages and place his message there? Drop flyers over big cities, or something? He claims the industrial society makes people suffer, and then he blows up people or blows off their limbs? Like THAT doesnt make people suffer?