FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HEEEELP!!!!

Aidmar
Hello!!!

My english is very bad, so forgive me...

My problem is: I have a mysql database with some fields like Name, Number and Password (just examples), and i need to store in a array the result of a select of the Name field. Why? I need to print these names in diferents positions on the page. In each these locations, the code may be "echo '$array[0]';" , for example. My database have 77 entries, and i need to show all of these in the site. But I don´t want to do 77 Queryes!!! Can anyone help me???

Thanks!!!

Aidmar Junior

PS: Se alguém souber português e puder me responder em português, ficarei muito grato!!!! Rs...
ncwdavid
I kind of get what you mean so ill try and help you out.
Do this:
Code:

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
echo "<p>$row[username]</p>";
}

That should do what your asking alothoughyou might have to change some little things to fit your needs,

Goodluck.
Aidmar
Thank you!!!!

But i had another problem... Sad I type this:

<?php
$terr = mysql_query ("select NOME from territorios");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($terr)){
$result = array($row['NOME']);
} ?>

In other location, I type <?php echo $result[0]; ?>, and it shows the first record. But when I type <?php echo $result[1]; ?>, or any different number, a message error appears: "Undefined offset: 1". What I have done wrong???

Thanks again!!!
ncwdavid
If you look at the code its "mysql_fetch_ARRAY" and when you use that to echo out the info you do this:
Code:
echo $row[COLUMN NAME];

With what you are doing you use "mysql_fetch_ROW" and then use the numbers in the array to echo it out. Is that what you want?
Aidmar
Hi!!!

I solved the problem with a function named "mysql_result". I typed this:

Quote:
<?php $query = mysql_query ("select FIELDNAME from TABLENAME order by OTHERFIELD"); ?>

And in each position that i need to show a entrie of 1 row and 1 field, I typed this (77 times!!!):

Quote:
<?PHP echo mysql_result($query, 7, 'FIELDNAME'); ?>

The "7" number is the row that i want show. I preferred to do this with array, cause it would be more easy for the server. I can't use your solution because the results will not be showed in a single table. But Thank You Very Much!!!

And forgive me for the bad bad english... Very Happy
qebab
Use a loop that loops through that piece of code with 77 different indexes for the array and echoes out with <tr> and <td> tags?

I don't know how to write a for loop in php, but in pseudocode it would be something like:

for every number in [0 to 77]:
<?PHP echo "<tr><td>"
<?PHP echo mysql_result($query, number, 'FIELDNAME'); ?>
<?PHP echo "</td></tr>"

In python:
Code:

for i in range(0,78):
  print "<tr><td>%s</td></tr>"%(mysql_result(query,i,'FIELDNAME'))

I don't think python has that function, but this is probably the easiest way to go about your problem (A simple for loop).
Bejeweledhorses
i have nooooooooooooooooooooooooo idea what you are talking about! Can you bbe a bit more clear in the situation? Can you show us a screen shot of what is happening. I do not understand the probelm. I have never encountered it myself...........
perhaps you could try a specific thing called PHPMYadmin- i heard that it may be able to do "loops"
Aidmar
Thanks for all!!!

I will continue using mysql_result, because I already know how to use it. I never did a loop before, and my attempts have not worked!!! But, if someone could teach me, i will be very happy!!! This is what i need:

I have a database with these fields: ID, NAME and PASSWORD. I want to store in a array all records that are in the field NAME only! Just it.

Well, is this!!!
Thanks,
Aidmar Junior
qebab
Click this link and then click on 'for'. There are examples.
qebab
I don't know php arrays or the functions that work on them, but that should be simple and easy to set up.

PHP.net wrote:

Code:
<?PHP
for ($i = 1; $i <= 10; $i++) {
    echo $i;
}?>

What does this do? It first assigns 1 to the variable $i. This happens only the first round in the loop. Then it checks if $i is smaller than or equal to 10. It is, so $i is incremented by 1, and then echoed. Now the for loop starts over again; it checks whether $i is smaller than or equal to 10, it still isn't, so it increments $i by one again, and so on, until $i is greater than 10.

What you need, I imagine is something like:
Code:
<?PHP
for ($i = 1; $i <78; $i++) {
   echo "<tr><td>";
   echo mysql_result($query, $i, 'NAME');
   echo "</td></tr>"
}
?>

That should give you some sort of 'table' with all the 77 names in it, and it's an example of a simple usage of a loop.

For information about arrays, I suggest you use this.

I imagine that something like:
Code:

<?PHP
$somearray = array()
   $somearray[$i] = mysql_result($query, $i, 'NAME')   
}
?>

As I've already said, I don't know php and whether this would be exactly corre ct, but I imagine that this is just about how you need to do it.

Edit: There is probably a way to load all the information from a sql query into an array, and then you could use this method to print it to a html table. I wouldn't know how though.
Aidmar
ThankYou again, my friend... That is what i need! But i think theres no way to do this without the mysql_result. Using loop and array, I need to use this function. But, just one more question: What is the way that consumes less resources of the server?

Quote:

<?php
$sql = ("select NAME from table");
echo mysql_result($sql, 3, 'NAME');
echo mysql_result($sql, 7, 'NAME');
?>

or
Quote:

<?php
$sql = ("select NAME from table");
$somearray = array();
$somearray[$i] = mysql_result($sql, $i, 'NAME');
}

echo $somearray[3];
echo $somearray[7];
?>

???
Manofgames
EDIT: Use fire boars :S
Fire Boar
You could use something like...

Code:
$query = "select NAME from table";
$result = mysql_query($query);

// Set up an array to hold everything...
$array = array();

// Loop through each row...
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query))
{
  $array[] = $row['NAME'];
}

/*
Now all the rows are stored in $array. So first row would be $array[0], second would be $array[1], etc. You could then do something like this:
*/
echo "<table>";
for ($i = 0; $i < count($array); $i++)
{
  echo "<tr><td>".$array[$i]."</td></tr>";
}
echo "</table>";