FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can't believe noone made a Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Thread

rightclickscott
Noone created a Kurt Vonnegut memorial thread? He was such an amazing writer, and noone acknowledged his death on the 11th? What's wrong with you people!?
LukeakaDanish
Yes, he was one of the best Smile

...but watch out with the sarcy/ironic comments WITHOUT a smiley to "hint" at the true meaning of your message.

In some countries there is nothing called irony....and for people who have english as their second language, "detecting" irony is often very difficult or even impossible...

Wink
Shike
rightclickscott wrote:
Noone created a Kurt Vonnegut memorial thread? He was such an amazing writer, and noone acknowledged his death on the 11th? What's wrong with you people!?

truth to tell, I've never heard of him. Could you give me a brief but accurate description of his writing as well as his writing style?

P.S. Please be curtious this is supposed to be a place people wish to go to to discuss, learn, and teach about all sorts of topics.
LukeakaDanish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut

...I usually search wikipedia BEFORE i search google...Smile
rightclickscott
LukeakaDanish wrote:
...but watch out with the sarcy/ironic comments WITHOUT a smiley to "hint" at the true meaning of your message.

Obviously, you've never read my first famous rant.
slasonic
I haven't read your post. I think as we are forced to read, we learn it's value.
rightclickscott
slasonic wrote:
I haven't read your post. I think as we are forced to read, we learn it's value.

So, um, yeah, I don't wanna make this thread about me, for once. I'm not going to screw it up by posting a link to my rant. This thread is about Kurt Vonnegut Jr. So, I think I'll change the title.
missdixy
Yeah, definitely. He was an amazing writer.
evanc88
I don't really think he needed a memorial thread. He was very old, and had already retired from writing, which is what the world knew him for. Not to be cynical, but his death was expected and not a shock, which is not to say he shouldn't be honored it's just that he's been honored so much in his lifetime dwelling on his death seems silly.
sondosia
I've read two of his books, Mother Night and Slaughterhouse Five. I loved both and hope to read more soon. He sure had a unique style...

~Mimzy