FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is a laptop worth upgrading?

KatanaSky
I've got a laptop that is currently running XP but it's REALLY slow. I don't even use it much other than if I wanted to type a paper and for some reason I don't feel like typing it on my desktop. I think it has like a 13 GB Capacity.

I haven't really looked into researching but I've heard that laptop parts are more expensive and that it may be better if I were to sell the laptop I have now and put the money towards buying a better one.
RiCtee
What's the specs?? A hard drive of 13GB is really under kill. If it is maybe more than 3-4 years old your best bet is to get a new one. Might actually be cheaper than upgrading. Or if you don't really use the laptop for intensive tasks you can just upgrade the RAM only.
PseudoKnight
New one, without a doubt. You can find some surprisingly decent laptops for $500-700 that will easily beat out what I think you have based on that hard drive size. Upgrading the laptop will just be a waste. Don't expect getting much money if any out of your old one.

Or you can just deal since you don't use it much.

That said, the best thing you can do for windows xp is to have at least 512MB of RAM.
psycosquirrel
I would guess your laptop probably has 128Mb or 256Mb of RAM, based on your hard drive size. It probably is upgradeable to 512Mb, MAYBE 1Gb, but with a hard drive that small, it is best to get a new one. I recommend the Dell Inspiron E1405 for the average user. It is nice, durable, and easy to have repaired, for a very affordable price.
Q5U8
I think the only way to upgrade a laptop is replacing it with a brand new. Very Happy

Otherwise you have exposed to a failures, days without it for maintenance and other horror stories... Twisted Evil
fadirocks
Still waiting for specs
but you need to clean up your XP or reinstall it with less things also get rid of XP theme and use classic theme to make it actually run little bit faster

for AntiVirus Protection that's all you need http://free-av.com it works great I've been using it for 5 yrs Very Happy
Whong
fadirocks wrote:
Still waiting for specs
but you need to clean up your XP or reinstall it with less things also get rid of XP theme and use classic theme to make it actually run little bit faster

for AntiVirus Protection that's all you need http://free-av.com it works great I've been using it for 5 yrs Very Happy

AntiVir is good! I've used it too and I think it's pretty good, but AVG is good also so I suggest that you'd try both! www.grisoft.com
PseudoKnight
On a system with low RAM, you don't want to be running AV. It would be better to live with the tiny risk of getting infected in exchange for better performance. Smart internet usage can prevent infection even better than AV.
Jaan
Clean install, or try Ubuntu, with a linux it will probably run faster. Not worth upgrading if all you need it for is word processing.
DanielXP
I had a 98 computer and its was 15G HD and 32MB RAM.

Any way if I wanted to upgrade my laptop to vista.

I would need.

HD upgrade (80G not really good as vista takes 10G)
1G RAM (AT LEAST)
Vista

So that would cost around 300 to upgrade it so im getting a new laptop with the following.

160G HD
2G RAM
Vista HP
billgertz
Just buy a new one if I were you. Yes you can upgrade your laptop but its only limited to the memory and HD. or buying a pre owned laptop if you dont have the budget for a new Laptop.
WallBase
The upgrading is not so clever!, the pc gets slower, and maybe wormer, a laptop is not to bouild or upgrade on, the HP Packard Bell have installed the right progs, hardwere and evrything who is the right for the pc, buy a new one, i think that is smart!

i did upgrade my laptop but after a month the laptop was HOT, melted into my desk c",) haha, i was uploadiing some pictures and when i came home from school the pc have melted to my desk, and i say *******************
baaaah.... soo try to sell the old one and buy a new one^^,
Arnie
Wallbase, we're talking about a hardware upgrade, not a software upgrade (e.g. Windows XP to Vista). Hardware upgrading makes a computer faster.

Jaan wrote:
Clean install, or try Ubuntu, with a linux it will probably run faster. Not worth upgrading if all you need it for is word processing.
With Linux and especially Ubuntu it will be slower. Windows generally beats Linux in speed at low memory systems, unless you've set up a nice configuration manually such as IceWM.

And for the whiners that will suggest DSL, that's no good for this user's purposes and experience. If he was going to go with Linux, Debian would probably be his best bet.
johnsonap
The only time I ever upgrade on a Laptop is memory and Hard Drive now an again, I work in IT and if a laptop can't be improved with memory its not worth looking at to be honest, this will certainly speed things up if you can double the amount of memory in it and if you do find you are filling the Hard Drive up, it will be cheaper just to replace this, but if you find you are filing the Hard Drive up and you are getting slow responses, you maight as well pay the bit extras and replace the thing.
You always end up getting better features on a new hard drive that you never even thought you would benfit from, even little things light extra USB ports or integrated digital card readers etc, you might be happy with what you have, but until you expereience better you never know what you have been missing (guess thats the same in life ;o)
WallBase
i knew that Rolling Eyes :

ok look at this :

http://aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html
diduknowthat
There aren't much you can change in a laptop. Luckily, harddrive is one of the easiest and most standardized. Besides upgrading the harddrive and the RAM, everything else is usually a waste of money.
Arnie
WallBase wrote:
i knew that Rolling Eyes :

ok look at this :

http://aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html
Again I say this is not a software upgrade, not XP to Vista. The topic deals with a hardware upgrade, such as 128MB to 512MB RAM!

If you want to bash Vista you're in the wrong thread pal. Here's a Rolling Eyes for you.
WallBase
LoLLeD, upgrading, ehh ok someone is talking about vista and ram.. so i came with info about it!.. sooo your point is? Ram ehh.. and i say buy a new one insted of upgrading!!!!... the laptops isnt bouild to upgrade to pc limit,and that is under 2 gb Ram and 250 GB... if its over the pc gets HOT!

and a Rolling Eyes back to you
Xeniczone
Personally I wouldn't put money into updating a laptop. I find no matter what laptops are generally underpowered and use them for Internet or on the go stuff not for my primary computer. Though their CPUs are the similar to desktop computers there are other factors that make the computer so slow such as the smaller hard drive is much slower then a desktops hard drive. Memory isn't as fast as a desktops computer and the intergreted gfx cards just plan stink.

depending on it's age I would buy a new one. Otherwise the only way to show some improvment on speed is to put more memory in which laptop memory is exspencive. but other then that their isn't much you can do. The chips are soldered to the motherboard. etc.
Arnie
My point, dear Wallbase, is that we are talking about a hardware upgrade, and you first post about how that would slow a computer down, and then you post a link about Vista. None of which are in any way correct or relevant. Putting better RAM in a laptop will not generally cause it to overheat, another bunch of nonsense.

You are correct in stating that your English isn't very good since you seem to completely miss the point trice.